Tikka 300 WSM…What bullet for Elk?

Rooggvc

WKR
I was wondering what bullets you guys are running out of a stock Tikka 300 WSM. Looking at hunting elk with this rifle. I really want to shoot Berger but I am open to other options.

danwolf

FNG
I just got a Tikka T3x Veil 300 WSM. Going to start off loading 180 gr Barnes TTSX BT with H4350 for now, hope these run well. Takes a while to get powder, brass, and all together these days.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I have had several votes for Accubonds. I can’t remember the last time I saw one for sale. I have mainly been seeing Barnes and Bergers.

danwolf

FNG
I have had several votes for Accubonds. I can’t remember the last time I saw one for sale. I have mainly been seeing Barnes and Bergers.

That’s why I’m going with Barnes for now, only nosler 30 I’ve seen is 150 grain partitions. And that’s shooting great out my 308 win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been very happy with the 200 grain Federal Premium Terminal Ascent, but good luck finding them in stock anywhere... if you do, please let me know!

I've been very happy with the 200 grain Federal Premium Terminal Ascent, but good luck finding them in stock anywhere... if you do, please let me know!
I have a box and a half that I don't plan on using, they shot great but don't group with any of my other ammo (seem to be way flatter).

OP, not a Tikka but I'm currently deciding between the Scirocco and Bondstrike.

rootacres

WKR
180gr Accubonds if you can find them. . . When I had a 300 WSM that's what I used. . TTSX and Hammers are a good option also. Hammers shoot great out of my 7 SAUM. Bergers are always a viable option too. My last Bull elk fell to a Berger.

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
I’m shooting 165gr ttsx’s over rl16. Sub 1/2” all day at 3100fps. And they fit in the factory mag.

Matt5266

WKR
I shoot 185 Berger's but I have shot 180 accubonds in the past. I have a .5 moa load worked up for my gun in the Berger's otherwise I'd probably switch back to the accubond. They dropped everything like a sack of s*%t.

hodgeman

WKR
I have a long and stellar track record with the 180AB in the 300WSM in 2 different rifles.

Try Hybrid 100V- while not the fastest powder I could get SDs in the single digits and excellent accuracy. Of course, a lot of different powders work in the 300WSM.

LightFoot

WKR
Any premium hunting bullet out of the 300 WSM will get the job done. I agree with an earlier post that it will come down to what you can find and if the rifle shoots it well.

I have found Hornady Precision Hunter to group well in all my rifles. The 200 ELD-X is good for elk and any reasonable range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mojave

WKR
Twist for Sako/Tikka .308 caliber cartridges outside of the TRG line is 1 in 11.

The 165 Accubond works really well at that twist and has decent flight long range.

Actually shot a T3 Varmint in 30-06 as my F-Class rifle in Australia used the 165 Accubond as it flew better than the 190 Berger did in that rifle.

The Lapua Scenar 190 also grouped really well. Not necessarily an elk bullet.

Jmgates09

FNG
I have a box and a half that I don't plan on using, they shot great but don't group with any of my other ammo (seem to be way flatter).

OP, not a Tikka but I'm currently deciding between the Scirocco and Bondstrike.
Remington has scirocco on website now good luck finding bondstrike haven't seen any in over a year