Tikka 300 WSM

Rooggvc

WKR
I am looking into a 300 WSM barrel for my Tikka. I was wondering what are the heaviest bullets you guys are getting to run out of a factory Tikka barrel? I looked at Berger and it shows the 205 Elite Hunter would stabilize in the 1:11 twist. I saw Mountain Tactical Gen 2 Mags are supposed to run the WSM cartridges. So I figure I could load the heavies longer in the 300 with their mags.

I am looking into a 300 WSM barrel for my Tikka. I was wondering what are the heaviest bullets you guys are getting to run out of a factory Tikka barrel? I looked at Berger and it shows the 205 Elite Hunter would stabilize in the 1:11 twist. I saw Mountain Tactical Gen 2 Mags are supposed to run the WSM cartridges. So I figure I could load the heavies longer in the 300 with their mags.
The 205s will stabilize. I haven’t tried anything heavier - maybe some other folks will chime in with their experiences.

Hells Canyon also makes a WSM mag that’s pretty nice and that’s what I use.

ElPollo

WKR
Mine stabilized 200 gr ELDX but had some issues stabilizing 200 gr Terminal Ascent.

Jimbee

WKR
Mine stabilized 200 gr ELDX but had some issues stabilizing 200 gr Terminal Ascent.
What would indicate stability issues? I've done a little reloading for 2 tikka 300 wsms with okayish accuracy. I'm re barreling one of them to a 1:9 twist. I've tried factory 200eldx, norma 180 Bondstrike. Reloaded 200.20x bergers and 175 TMK. Shooting at around 1000ft. Could just be the guy shooting.
Thanks.

ElPollo

WKR
What would indicate stability issues? I've done a little reloading for 2 tikka 300 wsms with okayish accuracy. I'm re barreling one of them to a 1:9 twist. I've tried factory 200eldx, norma 180 Bondstrike. Reloaded 200.20x bergers and 175 TMK. Shooting at around 1000ft. Could just be the guy shooting.
Thanks.
2.5-3” groups and occasional keyholing. About 1 in 20 would impact slightly sideways. Wasn’t my loading either. It was factory ammo. I chalked it up to my barrel not liking that bullet construction with the mono front end and lead core in the base. The same barrel shot factory 200 gr ELDX into 0.3-0.5” five-round groups.

Jimbee

WKR
2.5-3” groups and occasional keyholing. About 1 in 20 would impact slightly sideways. Wasn’t my loading either. It was factory ammo. I chalked it up to my barrel not liking that bullet construction with the mono front end and lead core in the base. The same barrel shot factory 200 gr ELDX into 0.3-0.5” five-round groups.
Thanks, I was getting decent groups with the occasional flier. I'm not sure if that's my shooting, my reloading, the bullet/gun combo, marginal stability, or ? I don't have any trouble reloading and easily getting the accuracy I'm looking for with my .223, 6mm and 6.5cm. There's a fella on this forum that claims people can't/don't shoot heavy recoiling guns as well and I think he may be right.

ElPollo

WKR
Thanks, I was getting decent groups with the occasional flier. I'm not sure if that's my shooting, my reloading, the bullet/gun combo, marginal stability, or ? I don't have any trouble reloading and easily getting the accuracy I'm looking for with my .223, 6mm and 6.5cm. There's a fella on this forum that claims people can't/don't shoot heavy recoiling guns as well and I think he may be right.
I don’t disagree with that fella, but my wizzum was definitely struggling with those bullets.

MHWASH

WKR
I'm running this exact combo. I'm having a little trouble with the spent cases ejecting fully out of the chamber unless I run the bolt really fast. Velocity is 2850 w/22" barrel.

Any of y’all running non lead in your tikka 300s. Not to hijack but I am curious if I can get decent accuracy from 165-180 copper bullets. Just picked up a tikka 300 WM and plan to play around with it.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I'm running this exact combo. I'm having a little trouble with the spent cases ejecting fully out of the chamber unless I run the bolt really fast. Velocity is 2850 w/22" barrel.
That is good information to know. I had the same issue with my 7 saum as far as ejecting brass. If I tried to do it slow so I could grab the brass it would get hung up. So I just started running the bolt like I normally would and I never had any issues.

amassi

WKR
Any of y’all running non lead in your tikka 300s. Not to hijack but I am curious if I can get decent accuracy from 165-180 copper bullets. Just picked up a tikka 300 WM and plan to play around with it.
Ive reloaded for plenty of tikkas in 300win and short mag. All shot the barnes ttsx and lrx very well. All mag fed with quite long jumps

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
I’m running 165gr ttsx’s in my wsm at 3025fps. They’re sub 1/2” all day.

The 205s will stabilize. I haven’t tried anything heavier - maybe some other folks will chime in with their experiences.

Hells Canyon also makes a WSM mag that’s pretty nice and that’s what I use.
That’s good to know. Working on a 300 wsm soon

AkRyan

WKR
Was the ammo barnes mrx? If so they discontinued that bullet for a few reasons.

My buddy and I are looking at getting a pair of Tikka 300WSM's for long range elk hunts up to 800 yards preferably, and I'm wondering if the 1:11 twist is going to be an issue. I'd like to avoid going 300 Win Mag, what do you guys think about the 1:11 twist and how it plays with modern bullets you'd use for that shot?

brushape

WKR
My buddy and I are looking at getting a pair of Tikka 300WSM's for long range elk hunts up to 800 yards preferably, and I'm wondering if the 1:11 twist is going to be an issue. I'd like to avoid going 300 Win Mag, what do you guys think about the 1:11 twist and how it plays with modern bullets you'd use for that shot?

All the current tikka 30 calls have switched to 1:10 twist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MHWASH

WKR
I just want to clarify, the issue I'm having with the spent brass not clearing the chamber is because it is hitting the windage turret on my SWFA 3-15.