Tikka 6.5-284 Build

Pro953

WKR
Looking for feedback from anyone that is running a 6.5-284 on the Tikka platform.

I have a older T3X in .270 that I pretty much never shoot these days. I would like to put it to use and have wanted to do a build for time time now.

For those that built on the Tikka platform how does it feed from the factory mag, or did you change the bottle metal to accept a AICS mag or something on that range?

I thought about a 280AI but like the idea of something a bit smaller as I have a few guns in the magnum family and nothing on the mod small center fire end. I also figure I can load these longer on the Tikka plant form without COAL issues vs the .280 AI as I shoot monos exclusively.

What twist rate have you worked with? It looks like most of the long monos call for 1-8” anyone twisting faster?

Just looking for some pitfalls before I start putting parts together. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

khuber84

WKR
Monos in the 130gr and less will stabilize in an 8tw. If you want heavier, than 7.5-7tw is needed. You're Tikka is an excellent platform for what you want to do. You'll need do nothing other than replace the barrel. Your magazine should work fine, as the T3 uses same mag for 6.5x55, -06, and win mag variants. It's a center feed single stack so it should run like butter. There are some guys on here who have done it, I however have not. I've found that the 6.5prc out preforms the x284 in equal barrel lengths by 50-100 fps. This is with adg vs lapua brass. I'm about to have a 6.5cm Tikka reamed to either a x284 or prc chamber and am up in the air. Barrel will be 22" so I'll prob go prc as they do better from short barrels with the shorter powder column.

mcr-85

WKR
I had a tikka superlite 6.5 creedmoor rechambered into 6.5x284. I bought the 270/30-06 magazine and it works just fine with a 147 eld-m and the 140 berger elite. I don't shoot mono's so I'm not any help there. @mtnwrunner is who helped me out with this. He has one as well.

Afhunter1

WKR
I am doing the exact same thing. I bought a new 270 tikka on a fire sale of like 400 bucks and also bought a new take off barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. It is at my smiths now getting chambered in 6.5-285 and threaded for my suppressor. I prob won’t see it for a month or so. He’s really busy right now.

Iman

FNG
I’m building a 284 win on t3x and from my research either of the two should feed fine in tikka.

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Sweet. Sounds like this could come together nicely.

Khuber, yeah I was open to the 284 or PRC but seeing as Tikka bolts are tough to come by I did not want to deal with the bolt swap to function with the PRC brass. Certainly open to ideas though!

Time to go barrel and stock shopping.

khuber84

WKR
Sweet. Sounds like this could come together nicely.

Khuber, yeah I was open to the 284 or PRC but seeing as Tikka bolts are tough to come by I did not want to deal with the bolt swap to function with the PRC brass. Certainly open to ideas though!

Time to go barrel and stock shopping.

Shaen Rifles in California will take your existing 6.5 cr, open bolt face and ream to prc for $385. Mine will be getting sent there for sure.

Colberjs

WKR
How did this build work out? I am in the planning phase of trying to build on a Tikka 7mm-08 action. I never use the gun and have been wanting to put something together to use with a new suppressor. I really like what I’ve read about the 6.5 x 284. Just trying to figure out for sure what all I will need to plan on to be sore it comes together correctly.

Thanks.

khuber84

WKR
How did this build work out? I am in the planning phase of trying to build on a Tikka 7mm-08 action. I never use the gun and have been wanting to put something together to use with a new suppressor. I really like what I’ve read about the 6.5 x 284. Just trying to figure out for sure what all I will need to plan on to be sore it comes together correctly.

Thanks.
Nothing wrong with 7mm-08. A 162 eldm stuffed atop a full case of H4350 in alpha ocd brass will perform well. Since you already have a 7mm barrel, just send to Shaen rifles and have him rechamber to 284win and thread the barrel for supressor. Hard to find lapua 284w brass now tho, peterson makes it though.

texag10

WKR

Thanks.
Replaced my 6.5 creedmoor barrel with a 6.5x284 CarbonSix barrel. Used a long action bolt stop and long action mags from mountain tactical. Works well, sends 156gr bergers at 2850 fps with a nice mild load and does very well in the wind.

OP
P

Pro953

WKR

Thanks.

The build was great. Shaen did great work as always. I have only put about 60-70 rounds through it, but so far, it shoots better than I ever will I am sure.

I have only loaded the 139 Shock Hammers, but the mag has plenty of room if you wanted to go longer.

I was happy with the accuracy and velocity so I have not tinkered with the load too much.

The lapua brass is great. If you can find power you like I makes a nice deer/pronghorn rifle.