Tikka 6.5CM Superlight, Barnes LRX 127gr ...

sneaky

"DADDY"
I agree, any bullet for that matter can and will kill at those velocitys. I suppose my point was to suggest how a mono frangible bullet will more than likely create a larger wound channel versus one that is not designed to. I don't have reams of tests to prove any of this, but it is my belief that if anything can be learned from the other threads about "target/match" bullets vs "hunting/bonded" bullets is that a bullet that fragments kills more effectively and efficiently and creates larger wound cavities. I have no reason to believe that, that idea or line of thinking changes under these circumstances.
I can tell you I've had more failures of Berger VLDs than all other bullet brands combined. Give me a mono of any brand, or an Accubond any day over a Berger. There's tons of guys who love them and have HAD good results, but their time is coming with those Bergers. I punch paper and steel with Bergers, not animals lol. You ready to send that Soulo back to me?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I can tell you I've had more failures of Berger VLDs than all other bullet brands combined. Give me a mono of any brand, or an Accubond any day over a Berger. There's tons of guys who love them and have HAD good results, but their time is coming with those Bergers. I punch paper and steel with Bergers, not animals lol. You ready to send that Soulo back to me?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I completely understand, we all have our experiences that lead us to our own preferences regarding bullet selection. Mine is I prefer a fragmenting bullet as you do not. I have only used Bergers on the range, I've never used a Berger in the field so no experience there. Truth is we have been killing animals using all kinds of pointy objects being ran through them for ages. We all use what we use to reach our own desired end, whatever that may be. As far as that soulo goes, hell no! She's doing quite well and has a nice home where she's at! 😁

Last edited:
OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
First pass. Doing sets of 5:
  • 43, 44, and 45 GR Superformance
  • 40, 41 GE RL-16
So far RL-16 @ 40 is the winner. Round 2 sometime this week. I will try the 45 SP again as well just to see.

3B7D9981-3B81-463B-98BD-DF46C1979F48_1_105_c.jpeg

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
I never finished this thread. I ended up with the following sub-moa load for my Tikka
  • 124HH
  • 40.0g Varget
  • Lapua Brass SRP
  • CCI 400 primer
  • COAL 2.750
  • 2945 FPS