Tikka 695, better to buy a new T3 lite?

Buck197

WKR
Hi all, so after reading for years, and being a lifetime browning fan, I am fixing to pull the trigger on a Tikka today. So a local gun shop has a Tikka 695 in 280AI, with a BSA scope priced at 650. Im largely unfamiliar with the 695, everything im reading says theyre great, about a pound heavier than the t3 lite actions. I know the bsa is going to be junk. But the only thing I can find googling around so far are articles saying 4-500 on the rifle scopeless, but that was stuff posted in like 2012. So my thought is sit down shut up and jump on the Tikka bandwagon with a new t3 lite. Id appreciate some help, and also in some decision making here.
In this craptacular gun/ammo buying climate,im guessing most will say pass on the 695 at that pricepoint and get a new T3 lite. Id really like to go it with a 7mm08, a caliber I know a ton swear by and ive wanted to try for years now, just havent, but all im seeing id just have to order one. Im a 270 fan, but same thing. Theres a t3 lite in 308 sitting locally new at 660. So with all this crap, and new administration in office, what are yalls opinions here...damned if you do damned if you dont! An elk muley whitetail and all that sure wont know the difference I realize. What do yall opinionated folks think, need help here to buy today, thanks.

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
Addendum to my post, Ive never shot a 280ai, love it ballistically, and I do know where 6 boxes of 280ai ammo are sitting on a shelf, as of yesterday, in an area where its a less popular cartridge, thats why that 695 interests me, then again I worry that I could walk into a prpblem child rifle too...

I personally would take a pass. A 280 AI would be nice but there are too many unknowns on this specific rifle to make it worthwhile.

BSA scopes aren't all that great. The 695 is heavier than the T3 and T3X. Unknown on what use/abuse the rifle has. Also I do not know if Tikka even made a 280 AI back then; if they didn't then it is questionable on who did the conversion.

If you shop around you can find a stainless T3X for about the same as their price and the blued for less. With the way things are now, you may have to just order. No matter what, you'll be having a fun time finding ammo no matter which route you go (unless you already have some stocked up).

I personally would take the 7mm-08 over the 308 Win. But what are you planning to hunt with it?

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
Thank you. I elk hunt, muleys, and white tail, I could add to that but it gives an animal size idea.
Yeah ive wanted to try a 7mm08 for a whole lot of years now, but I also know everything is a pain in the butt currently, and do know a 308 will do all a man needs to if he does his part., So I wondered, with things being what they are politically, am I smarter buying that 308 sitting on the shelf, or is it safe and reasonable time wise to order one. I dont believe theyve offered a 280, let alone an AI, so my thoughts were the same, could be a shooter, could be a problem child. Im nervous of thia political climate, so want to make the besy choice, havent bought or ordered anything other than a 22 in a good while. Any clue how long, or an opinion of how long if I ordered a 7mm08m

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
Ammowise, I am sitting on 270 and 308 ammo, not a ton, but enough to site in and hunt for a couple yrs, provided the gun likes any of the ammo I have...truth be known, 7mm08 is where I want to be, just dont want to order and be waiting in June for it to come in still.

Just checked with Sportsmans Warehouse. They show that they could get a T3X in 7mm-08 to my local store by January 28. So it does not look like there's that long of a wait.

I personally would take the 7mm-08 or 270 Win over a 308 Win. Not much difference out to 300 or so yards at which point the 7mm-08 and 270 Win will start to pull away from a ballistics perspective.

If you go the 7mm-08 route, you can have a rifle but potential no (commercial) ammo for awhile. But if you are patient then it should not be an issue.

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
You just made my day, I was worried itd take forever and a day and theyd legislate some issue into buying. Sold, ordering a 7mm08 today, ive meant to buy one since the 90s and just jacked around and havent. Thank you so much.

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
I quit reloading years ago, however I think I found 7mm08 ammo last night, better call them first and see if I can buy a few boxes of different ammo to try before I order I guess.

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
Thats probably dead right. Heck, I just turned fifty a month ago, to old to be jacking around, on the phone with sportsmans warehouse now.

mtgreg

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I think you made a wise choice. I speak to people quite often who love their 595/695, but are always having problems finding parts and accessories. Magazines especially, it seems. Now the world is your oyster with modern everything available for your T3X! Congrats!