Tikka 7 rem mag ammo recommendations .

jd30069

FNG
you may wish to consider what game animal you intend to hunt before picking your bullet of choice. There are many good bullets out there right now, but your gun may not think so. In your searching and testing give the heavier Noslers a go .......tried tested and a great game stopper. In my 7mm mag i run 175 partitions on western hunts. If you think you might like reloading give it a try. Be careful to follow the manual you chose and i believe you will enjoy it as a hobby. plus you will become more efficient with your rifle. Don't wait to stockpile brass,,,,7mm readily available ... good luck

OP
isu22andy

isu22andy

WKR
The vertical string has me wondering. Everything tight?

I’ll check again here in a minute , Using leupold dual dovetail mount . Should I get a rail and rings ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was having a heck of a time with one 7mm. I tried a few different 160-162 grain offerings with little luck. The 160 gr partitions were the best at a little over an inch. On a whim I tried 175 gr interlocks and down into the .6-.8 range.

16Bore

WKR
I’ll check again here in a minute , Using leupold dual dovetail mount . Should I get a rail and rings ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dual dovetails are tough as hell. Be sure your mounting screws are not hitting the bolt head, everything is torqued correctly, action seated on the lug correctly.

After that it’s you. Might be sliding back on the rest with successive shots, who knows. The Tikka track record is small round groups. Mine have never struggled with one load over another. Just my experience though.

16Bore

WKR
Eh, OK....just read the other post again. Bipod on a bench with heavy recoil is gonna be jumpy too.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
168 Berger hybrid hunter over 68.5 gr H1000 at magazine length. Sub 1/2 moa in my t3 superlite

OP
isu22andy

isu22andy

WKR
Dual dovetails are tough as hell. Be sure your mounting screws are not hitting the bolt head, everything is torqued correctly, action seated on the lug correctly.

After that it’s you. Might be sliding back on the rest with successive shots, who knows. The Tikka track record is small round groups. Mine have never struggled with one load over another. Just my experience though.
Any way to check the dual dovetails ? A box store employee installed them ( Had a giftcard to burn ) . Also with the action lug whats the best way to check if its seated ? Ive kinda rocked it back and for in the stock to hear a click but I assume its probably pretty tight tolerances.

16Bore

WKR
Color the bolt head with a sharpie and you’ll see any contact. Or just yank the bolt and look at the screws through the bolt race. If you see a lot of “barrel float” it could be riding on the lug instead of seated on it.

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
162gr ELD-X in my tikka superlite 7mag shoots 1/2 MOA off bags pretty regularly. I haven’t found a factory load yet that shoots worse than an ~MOA. Even the cheap 14xgr target load they sell at the range from federal or Remington seems to like my barrel.

If you want to do factory loads try Nosler trophy grade or hornady precision hunters. Definitely a couple steps above federal fusions.

jd30069

FNG
maybe think more about the bullet of choice for the specific game animal and work backwards with powder / load/ if that's possible. The lead sled bench type practice is of very little value... i have done it way to much..The bipod and holding the rifle are as critical as the rest. even shooting off a backpack will be different than the bipod. I shoot 175 Nosler - no complaints ever; but i also shoot 180 Nosler in the 300 win mag - so pretty similar results. i am not nearly as concerned about 1-2 inch groups at 100 as i am maintaining a 300 yd point blank zero. I simply want the sight picture as quickly as possible without the rangefinder and shoot the pie plate. I practice for time (8-10 sec) at all different distances. Long shot top of plate - close shot bottom plate - easily vital shots.. might be helpful -- hope so