Tikka 7mm build?

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
I am about to order a barrel for my super lite 7mm rem mag probably 20-22”. I am between sticking with the rm because I have brass and dies for it or going WSM, I would like the option to shoot up to 180’s. I understand the mag length restrictions with the rm and that I would sacrifice velocity, would this hurt accuracy?
I also like the idea of being able to buy ammo off the shelf, that’s why 7 saum wasn’t an option

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Get an 8.5ish twist barrel for 180 class. Not sure about Tikka mag length.

If you can go 168 vld and mag length, there isn't a whole lot of difference, IMO. I would rather have the velocity than 12 grains of powder.

With Norma brass and H1000 I would expect between 2950 and 3000 fps out of a 26" barrel. Cut 25 fps off for every inch.

Usually doesn't affect accuracy to seat deep.

Don't go below 22".

brad407210

Lil-Rokslider
I stuck with standard 7mm RM when I rebarreled mine with a 1:9" twist in 26", but it only likes lighter bullets so I run 150 ELD-X, I load to 3.34" and end up jumping 0.100". Mine shoots well with a lot of jump so I just go with it, if you get a short 7mm you'll need new magazines as well. The 180's get kind of slow out of a short barrel so you might do better with 160-168's, I only use mine for deer and antelope so I don't really worry about energy. I've heard the 7RM has a noticeable increase in muzzle blast from 22" to 20" so most people stick to 22" unless they use a short mag that runs out of the 20" better.

Rob5589

WKR
If you want to shoot a 180 in the RM, you really should look into new bottom metal and mags if you want to obtain it's full potential. Or go short mag and new magazines for some extra room.

I converted mine to the 7SAUM with a 22" Proof Sendero light in 1-8 twist and it launches the 180's superb. Plenty of room in the mag with the SAUM and 180's. I could run 195's if I wanted, but choose the bigger cased varieties for that big of a pill.

I wouldn’t put a long action chamber on a Tikka unless I absolutely did not ever plan to reload and only bought factory ammo. It’s not what you want to hear, but with your bolt face and barrel length, 7 SAUM is absolutely the answer. If you require factory ammo availability, I suggest a 28 gauge. I see lots of that on the shelf these days.

OP
S

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info.
If any of you guys that are suggesting the 7saum have a line on brass and dies pm me. I have found wsm brass and dies.

Thanks for the info.
If any of you guys that are suggesting the 7saum have a line on brass and dies pm me. I have found wsm brass and dies.
Dude if you want performance from a shorter barrel the 7 wsm is your answer.
I'm getting incredible accuracy with mine shooting 195's at 2850 in a 22" barrel, I'm at 12 loads so far on my Hornady cases.
Shoot me a pm if you have any questions, I have 4 boxes of Hornady 7 wsm brass that I'd sell you for $55 each.

I also have experience with a saum and you'll never be within 100 fps of the wsm at equal pressure, plus the saum needs trimmed every other firing while the wsm is good for 4-5.

Heres a few 2 shot cold bore groups at 800 yards with 195's
20201219_154647.jpg
20201221_160623.jpg

WSM, SAUM (lol at that guy trimming so much) doesn’t matter, either will be a far better fit in a Tikka platform than anything long action but you MUST throat it properly.

I ordered a SAUM barrel with zero components (dies, brass, powder, bullets, primers - I didn’t shoot magnums before) on hand and have since sourced enough to shoot it out before the barrel has even shipped. It’s tough out there, but you’ll find what you need. Don’t let it dictate your chamber choices. Chamber the gun so that it fits your needs.

Last edited:
WSM, SAUM (lol at that guy trimming so much) doesn’t matter, either will be a far better fit in a Tikka platform than anything long action but you MUST throat it properly.
Lol all you want but .010 brass growth is where I trim, the saum does that in 2 loadings when run near max.
The 35 degree shoulder of the wsm has its advantages

Your best bet is to send in a few dummy rounds with the bullets seated out properly.
I'd throat for the 195's, 180s will still shoot really well.
Do you have any bullets for dummy rounds?

OP
S

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
Your best bet is to send in a few dummy rounds with the bullets seated out properly.
I'd throat for the 195's, 180s will still shoot really well.
Do you have any bullets for dummy rounds?
I only have 162 eldm at the moment. I’m not in a hurry so I will keep an eye out for 180s or 195s