Tikka 7mm Rem Mag Custom

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
So I started with a Tikka T3x stainless lite in 300 win mag hoping to find a nice lightweight hunting rig I could shoot extended ranges with (I have some long range muley opportunities in western KS). I basically got into handloading when I bought the rifle and only then learned about the limitations for a tikka in 300wm.

Fast forward, after contemplating just selling the rifle, I decided to strip the action out and start over. Bought a grayboe terrain and will rebarrel with a 7 rem mag in a medium palma bartlein and use a Remington style recoil lug and have it bedded. Also added the mountain tactical bottom metal to accept aics mags.

Not the most economic route but will be fun this coming November

Attachments

• EB3B96F1-23FC-4880-9755-8DF6C6636D01.jpeg
    EB3B96F1-23FC-4880-9755-8DF6C6636D01.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 130

Bbell12

WKR
Out of curiosity, what are the limitations on a Tikka 300 win mag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you reload you will run out of mag room for seating heavy bullets towards the lands.

The tikka mag box limits this in a 7 mag too. I'm assuming he added an aftermarket aics style or similar mag to allow him to reach the lands or close to with a 7mm in 160 175 or 180.

It's only a limitation of a couple grains of powder or so

Accuracy wise I think most find jumpingthe bullet in the tikkas is just as accurate or reasonably so

OP
A

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
For the record, this is very much still a work in progress - I just assembled the mountain tactical bottom metal and grayboe stock to the factory action/barrel, still needs to go to the smith

The mountain tactical bottom metal will allow me to use an AICS magazine which should allow for a 3.6” oal or so. There may be a little feed ramp trimming but I’m going to get all the work done at the smith and find out how long I can load before messing with that. Wish I had the thump of the 300 at the end of the day but happy to take the reduction in recoil and flat shooting nature of the 7mm

mt100gr.

WKR
When you reload you will run out of mag room for seating heavy bullets towards the lands.

The tikka mag box limits this in a 7 mag too. I'm assuming he added an aftermarket aics style or similar mag to allow him to reach the lands or close to with a 7mm in 160 175 or 180.

It's only a limitation of a couple grains of powder or so

Accuracy wise I think most find jumpingthe bullet in the tikkas is just as accurate or reasonably so

This and slow twist factory barrels that don't allow for using the heaviest for caliber high BC bullets. A factory Tikka 30 cal has a 1:11 twist barrel.