Tikka accuracy issues - help!

gbflyer

WKR
I would not be disappointed with a factory gun using factory ammo that puts 5 into 1.25.

What’s the official ammo Tikka uses to certify? Not every rifle shoots every ammo well.

Have had rifles print “shotgun” groups with some ammo but groups tightened up dramatically once I found the one(s) it likes.

Lastly have another trusted shooter give it a go.

Crambo

FNG
JM1,

What did the first 3 rounds measure when you took back out after Tikka serviced? MOA guarantee is for 3 rounds, not necessarily 5. Often a 3 shot sub-MOA group will grow when the 4th and 5th rounds are fired. Just curious if you measured to know whether it was sub-MOA or not.

OP
J
What’s the official ammo Tikka uses to certify? Not every rifle shoots every ammo well.
According to the data sheet I received, they used the cheap 130gr Fed blue box as well. I’ve tried about 10 different factory loads. You’d think by now one of them would stand out as it’s favorite flavor.

JM1,

What did the first 3 rounds measure when you took back out after Tikka serviced? MOA guarantee is for 3 rounds, not necessarily 5. Often a 3 shot sub-MOA group will grow when the 4th and 5th rounds are fired. Just curious if you measured to know whether it was sub-MOA or not.
This was my thinking leaving the range as well. Shots 1-3 were the tightest on both groups. I would say shots 4 and 5 are what pushed it out of MOA in both cases. Maybe just coincidence, maybe not. Next time I shoot I will try letting the barrel cool for a much longer period of time before the 4th and 5th shots.

kurtiss00

FNG
According to the data sheet I received, they used the cheap 130gr Fed blue box as well. I’ve tried about 10 different factory loads. You’d think by now one of them would stand out as it’s favorite flavor.

This was my thinking leaving the range as well. Shots 1-3 were the tightest on both groups. I would say shots 4 and 5 are what pushed it out of MOA in both cases. Maybe just coincidence, maybe not. Next time I shoot I will try letting the barrel cool for a much longer period of time before the 4th and 5th shots.
So the Tikka meets their guarantee, just not as good as you would like.

OP
J
So the Tikka meets their guarantee, just not as good as you would like.
All in all, yes. Maybe my expectations are too high. It just seems like Beretta didn’t put much effort into making it shoot to its true potential when I sent it in and noted the obvious flaws. The terrible ream job could’ve been made right with a new barrel but they refused to replace it. Instead they took the easy route and just polished it. The 3 shot group they achieved barely passed at 0.9” at 100 yards and back in the mail it came, 8 weeks later with no communication or notice. Again maybe I’m just asking too much, just didn’t feel very taken care of as a customer. In my opinion, the quality I received wasn’t quite worth the $1000 price tag.

TxxAgg

WKR
I'd be annoyed, too. Thanks for sharing.

I'm sure it's all in my head, but seems like all the problem Tikkas are 7mmish.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The 3 shot MOA thing was carried over from their Sako rifles which offer a 5 shot MOA out of the box. Every Tikka and Sako I've shot have met the 5 shot MOA and I've owned close to 20. I also used to shoot 1,000 rounds or more per month so that helps...

No offense meant but have you had somebody else who shoots a lot shoot a 3 shot group for you? I also assume your shots are at a distance of 100 yards? Try a group at 50 yards and see how you do. I've seen a lot of guys shoot for groups at 50 yards and have them stacked on each other, then move to 100 yards have anywhere from 2-5" groups. Hint, it's very rarely the rifles fault.

Tikkas and Sakos that I've shot really like the lightest bullets in the cartridge offering. Barnes used to make a 129 Grain factory ammo that my Tikka .270 LOVED.

Every Tikka and Sako I've shot have met the 5 shot MOA and I've owned close to 20. I also used to shoot 1,000 rounds or more per month so that helps...

Tikkas and Sakos that I've shot really like the lightest bullets in the cartridge offering.
Just curious, have you tried 120gr or 123gr ELD-Ms in a 6.5mm Tikka? Saw these available when I was almost out of the 140 and 147s (since then I was able to stock back up, but the light bullets are still there). I haven't seen much in the way of reviews for the lighter options, and just read/hear about how the 140s shoot great (which they do) and how 140 and 147s are good on game as they are the heavy-for-caliber ELD-M bullets for the Creedmoor.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Just curious, have you tried 120gr or 123gr ELD-Ms in a 6.5mm Tikka? Saw these available when I was almost out of the 140 and 147s (since then I was able to stock back up, but the light bullets are still there). I haven't seen much in the way of reviews for the lighter options, and just read/hear about how the 140s shoot great (which they do) and how 140 and 147s are good on game as they are the heavy-for-caliber ELD-M bullets for the Creedmoor.
I shoot .260 which is basically the same thing as 6.5 CM... I've owned 3 Tikkas/Sakos in .260 over the years and the most consistent groups have come from the Hornady 129 Grain SST's. That bullet is absolutely lights out on any vital hit, elk included. Never had a need to try any other bullet after I found the 129's shoot so well.

OP
J
No offense meant but have you had somebody else who shoots a lot shoot a 3 shot group for you? I also assume your shots are at a distance of 100 yards? Try a group at 50 yards and see how you do. I've seen a lot of guys shoot for groups at 50 yards and have them stacked on each other, then move to 100 yards have anywhere from 2-5" groups. Hint, it's very rarely the rifles fault.
No offense taken, I’m the only one that’s shot the rifle. While I don’t claim to be a sniper, I own several other rifles that I can consistently shoot to their sub-moa potential. Off a solid bench with sandbags, I’m quite confident in my ability to be dead on the bullseye at 100 yards. While I agree the rifle isn’t always to blame, I’ve shot enough over the years to point the finger in this case.

gbflyer

WKR
All in all, yes. Maybe my expectations are too high. It just seems like Beretta didn’t put much effort into making it shoot to its true potential when I sent it in and noted the obvious flaws. The terrible ream job could’ve been made right with a new barrel but they refused to replace it. Instead they took the easy route and just polished it. The 3 shot group they achieved barely passed at 0.9” at 100 yards and back in the mail it came, 8 weeks later with no communication or notice. Again maybe I’m just asking too much, just didn’t feel very taken care of as a customer. In my opinion, the quality I received wasn’t quite worth the $1000 price tag.

With all due respect, are you qualified to identify a “terrible ream job”? Those Chinese iPhone bore scopes have caused equally as much grief as they have good.

OP
J
With all due respect, are you qualified to identify a “terrible ream job”? Those Chinese iPhone bore scopes have caused equally as much grief as they have good.
You tell me. The first photo is the Tikka in question. The second photo is my other Tikka that is an all day sub-MOA shooter. I don’t think you need to be overly “qualified” to see the difference in jobs.

1A31281F-72FD-484E-9E04-075CA37C6ADF.jpeg
E436D5DD-66E5-4BFA-AB9A-C594A0CCA470.jpeg

gbflyer

WKR
I’m not. I’ve chambered a quite a few barrels as well. There are things to get wound up about, and things to not. Opinions aren’t important.

I'd have a smith check various parts for squareness and if it checks out, send some tubbs Final finish through it to fix up that throat

wakedye

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not qualified to say what is causing this tikka to not shoot as well as your other one but to me it seems that you are asking too much. It appears the ream job is not up to their usual standard and I understand being bugged by that. They worked on the rifle even though you had it bedded, which in my opinion they didn't have to do. You said they refused to replace the barrel. Did you specifically ask them to replace it? If it meets their 3 shot MOA guarantee then I see no need for them to replace it at their cost. It seems you have come to expect more than they guarantee based on experiences with other tikkas. This one seems to meet their MOA guarantee so if it doesn't meet your hopes then if it were me I think I would just have to fix it on my dime, keep it as is, or sell it.

gbflyer

WKR
I’ve never done the Tubbs route as most barrel manufacturers recommend against it. What my untrained eye sees there is a freshly cut throat, very well centered. Beyond that it gets into barrel juju that is above my pay grade. 100 - 200 rounds will iron it out, which is the start of the slow erosion process. It may show some copper at first. In my experience that’s not necessary bad, but not normal for Tikka. What is most important is end to end consistency in diameter. To the .0001. We shooters and hobby gun guys have no way to measure that and are totally reliant on the manufacturer.

If that rifle holds 3 under MOA and 5 at or under 1.25 MOA with Federal blue box there’s no way I’d let the manufacturer mess with it if it were mine.

isu22andy

WKR
I'd be annoyed, too. Thanks for sharing.

I'm sure it's all in my head, but seems like all the problem Tikkas are 7mmish.
I got one in 7 rem mag ive wasted 100s of dollars in Ammo trying to figure out.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
Why don't you just shoot the piss out of the rifle and then re-barrel it? It meets the advertised accuracy spec - and really 1.25 with five-shot groups will surprise you if you do your part.

I've shown up to some PRC-style events and surprised some high-dollar rigs with a lightweight Tikka that could probably do no better.

On the other hand - if it's in your head now you may never shoot good with this rifle. I'll PM my FFL details and save you the anguish.