Tikka accuracy issues - help!

OP
J
All fair statements. I do not intend to get rid of it and yes, it does meet the 3 shot MOA guarantee (although I wouldn’t say every time or with the majority of factory ammo offerings). That aside, it’s a beautiful rifle and I love the action, trigger, and stock. My standards probably are too high- at the end of the day I understand it’s just another factory production-line rifle. Some are tack driver out of the box, and some are just acceptable. Nonetheless I’ll keep shooting it and maybe with some more breaking in and less scrubbing it will come together better with the right ammo or handloads. Once it’s seen more abuse than it can handle I’ll do as Rifles And More suggested and have it rebarreled with something a little more custom like a Bartlein. Thanks again to all who continue to offer their suggestions and experience.

prm

WKR
The Tubbs Final Finish will polish it up smooth as a baby’s butt. It will move the lands out a bit. That, or shoot a couple hundred rounds. Pick whatever suits you.

Well men, I finally had a little time to shoot the T3X after it’s return from Beretta. I slowly fired two, 5-shot groups not allowing the barrel to overheat between shots. The first 5 were cheap 130gr Federal Blue Box. The second 5 were 140gr Federal Premium Berger Hybrid Hunters. Both printed 1.25” groups which is disappointing to me. I know that’s only ten rounds and will try some others next chance I get, but I’m not convinced Beretta’s “efforts” to fix it made an ounce of difference. I’m very confident in my rings/base and scope and all shots felt good from a solid bench with sandbags and no wind. I’m convinced it’s the rough ream job that’s hurting my accuracy. The rifle is Minute Of Deer all day long, but not fulfilling its 1 Minute Of Angle guarantee.

I guarantee you that their rifle has an MOA guarantee with Match ammo, not with hunting loads.

I also find it hilarious that in your OP you complain about the rifle being a 2 MOA rifle, 1.5 at best, and then on getting it back shoot two 1.25" groups and say that what they did didn't make any difference.

LOL

OP
J
I also find it hilarious that in your OP you complain about the rifle being a 2 MOA rifle, 1.5 at best, and then on getting it back shoot two 1.25" groups and say that what they did didn't make any difference.
Uh no..I didn’t say their repairs didn’t make any difference, I said it didn’t make enough of a difference to shoot to my standards. To me if a rifle is a true moa or sub-moa gun, it should yield those results consistently.

Uh no..I didn’t say their repairs didn’t make any difference, I said it didn’t make enough of a difference to shoot to my standards. To me if a rifle is a true moa or sub-moa gun, it should yield those results consistently.

Literally quoting you:

"but I’m not convinced Beretta’s “efforts” to fix it made an ounce of difference."

OP
J
Literally quoting you:

"but I’m not convinced Beretta’s “efforts” to fix it made an ounce of difference."
Try to keep up- yes, whatever work they say they did took it from 1.5-2” down to 1.25” groups. That is a difference. But at the end of the day, no, it didn’t make an ounce of difference if the gun still won’t regularly achieve their 1 MOA guarantee. It’s not like they achieved 1” or better multiple times. Anyone can make the slightest or most insignificant adjustment then get lucky with one 3-shot group, claim it’s good, and hand it back. As I pointed out, I think there were some obvious signs of poor craftsmanship from the beginning (i.e. the rough throat) that should have been replaced, not covered with a band-aid. Then as a customer I could confidently say they did their part to make it shoot to its potential and the rest is on me.

Try to keep up- yes, whatever work they say they did took it from 1.5-2” down to 1.25” groups. That is a difference. But at the end of the day, no, it didn’t make an ounce of difference if the gun still won’t regularly achieve their 1 MOA guarantee. It’s not like they achieved 1” or better multiple times. Anyone can make the slightest or most insignificant adjustment then get lucky with one 3-shot group, claim it’s good, and hand it back. As I pointed out, I think there were some obvious signs of poor craftsmanship from the beginning (i.e. the rough throat) that should have been replaced, not covered with a band-aid. Then as a customer I could confidently say they did their part to make it shoot to its potential and the rest is on me.

to:
"it didn’t make an ounce of difference"

Did you shoot 3-shot groups with it, or just 5 shot? It's pretty funny that they cut your avg group size by 40% but you're saying it made no difference.

gbflyer

WKR
LOL, Show me Tikka's 1 MOA guarantee.

af8b86653031c24a6a3230d695764cfa.jpg

Maybe that’s only in Australia though. Haha. Not sure why USA site didn’t pop up.

3 shot 1 moa guarantee for non-heavy bbl... wonder why that is...
Barrel heats up and shots start to walk. If someone wants or needs “better”, buy the Sako (assuming a person wants to stay in the Beretta family).

If hunting and you need more than three shots in short order, you are likely going to have a bad day and it likely has nothing to do with the Tikka MOA guarantee.

Barrel heats up and shots start to walk. If someone wants or needs “better”, buy the Sako (assuming a person wants to stay in the Beretta family).

If hunting and you need more than three shots in short order, you are likely going to have a bad day and it likely has nothing to do with the Tikka MOA guarantee.

I know exactly why there's a 3 shot guarantee on a non-heavy bbl