Tikka Accuracy Issues

1000yrds

FNG
Mine shoots clover leafs all day long at 100 yards. I use Winchester BST. I don't know if it's true,but I have had 2 different gunsmith's tell me not to use the SP from Hornady. I shot a box in my wifes 243 and couldn't get them to group either. I would also look at your scope or mounts. Something isn't right eitherway. Try another brand of ammo. What one gun shoots,another hates. That gun should shoot better than that. All ese fails,call Tikka. I hear their customer service is top notch.

Hey buddy, I know this is an older post but did you ever figure out what was up with your Tikka? I too have a problem Tikka. Honestly it shoots like a 10$ BB gun. Everyone always asks about the usual....scope rings, scope, rest, pulling the trigger, blah blah. I am a very confidant shooter and have tried numerous loads and factory ammo but can't get it to group at any range 100 or more. I know Tikka is a great gun but I also know some can be a lemon. Do you know if Tikka will take it back for a credit?

If the gun won't meet the 3 shot 1MOA guarantee Beretta will replace it. I've done the same on a Sako.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm expecting you to say the FX3 6X is a no go too which leaves me looking hard at the swfa 3 X 9 again as the hands down favorite for cost, reticle and reliability

Ha. Unfortunately you are correct. The fixed 6x Leupolds used to be pretty decent. We used bunches of them and though the tracking was almost never correct, they did tend to hold zero. However starting around the FX change over, they started having issues as well.

One of the reasons that its hard to find a “normal” hunting scope without turrets that just works, is because there isn’t much of a market. The vast majority of hunters have no idea that their scopes don’t work...... other than they all know to check zero after traveling and before season. Why is that such a “known” thing? Because the flipping scopes don’t hold zero.

All the effort in scope manufacturing that has to do with true ruggedness and correct function is in the tactical/long range side. Where people care about hitting targets bigger than a bread basket. Now, must of those don’t work like people think they do, but pretty much all of the scopes that can take abuse and not fail are tactical scopes. The 3-10x NF SHV is nothing but a 2.5-10x NXS with features removed.
The rub is that most of what makes a good “sniper” aiming device, also makes a good “deer killing” aiming device. Only reticle and power being different generally.

The SWFA is very good, the SHV is really good too. The Meopta fixed powers seem to be solid, and Doug at cameralandny has some for good prices.

Ha. Unfortunately you are correct. The fixed 6x Leupolds used to be pretty decent. We used bunches of them and though the tracking was almost never correct, they did tend to hold zero. However starting around the FX change over, they started having issues as well.

One of the reasons that its hard to find a “normal” hunting scope without turrets that just works, is because there isn’t much of a market. The vast majority of hunters have no idea that their scopes don’t work...... other than they all know to check zero after traveling and before season. Why is that such a “known” thing? Because the flipping scopes don’t hold zero.

All the effort in scope manufacturing that has to do with true ruggedness and correct function is in the tactical/long range side. Where people care about hitting targets bigger than a bread basket. Now, must of those don’t work like people think they do, but pretty much all of the scopes that can take abuse and not fail are tactical scopes. The 3-10x NF SHV is nothing but a 2.5-10x NXS with features removed.
The rub is that most of what makes a good “sniper” aiming device, also makes a good “deer killing” aiming device. Only reticle and power being different generally.

The SWFA is very good, the SHV is really good too. The Meopta fixed powers seem to be solid, and Doug at cameralandny has some for good prices.
AGAIN, Thank you for your response and sharing your experience !

I just ordered a Meopta 6X from cameraland - probably a dumb question: will 1" rings work for a 25.1 tube scope ?

OP
O
Hey buddy, I know this is an older post but did you ever figure out what was up with your Tikka? I too have a problem Tikka. Honestly it shoots like a 10$ BB gun. Everyone always asks about the usual....scope rings, scope, rest, pulling the trigger, blah blah. I am a very confidant shooter and have tried numerous loads and factory ammo but can't get it to group at any range 100 or more. I know Tikka is a great gun but I also know some can be a lemon. Do you know if Tikka will take it back for a credit?

Never did figure it out for certain but my gunsmith said likely a bad barrel. The $ I was spending on it just was not worth the hassle and I sold the rifle. I did not bother with trying to get an exchange from tikka either, but I have heard of guys getting new rifles back. Was leery about buying tikka again after the experience. Chanced it one more time and got a 6.5,CM. It has quickly become my favorite gun.

One more thing that I personally won't use again is Talley LW rings. Every rifle I have had them on has not grouped to my standard. Might be a luck thing but if you are using them and have another option to try it might help out. Best of luck and let me know if you need anymore info.

SIontheHunt

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to revive an such an old post but I think my experience will help people. I had 3 minute accuracy out of my stock t3x lite in 300WM. I had shot superformance 180s, ttsx 165s and another load I forgot what it was. All terrible at 100 and could not touch 8 inch steel at 300. I know it was not me because i was stretching out consistently to 400 with another rifle each day at the range.

After talking with baretta, they own Tikka and handle warranty in the US, I had the option of sending them my rifle and waiting 12 weeks for the verdict. The cost of shipping and having to wait 12 weeks put me off to that prospect. So i took it to a local gunsmith to check out. Everything checked out fine.

Back to the drawing board. I found online a couple suggestions that have also been mentioned here. The light weight tikka is finicky about what you shoot off. I was shooting off of a adjustable rest with the rubber yokes, so I got bags. I heard the contact points in the stock could effect accuracy if they were not molded perfectly. So i used a dremel and a sheet of paper to sand down any point of contact. it is now free floated to the receiver. In doing this I found the sides of the stock itself touched just in front of the receiver not just the "barrel support" piece the stocks have. Lastly I got a new box of federal loaded with accubonds.

Now the rifle shoots right at an inch at 100. I can probably get things better with different loads but both the federals and the remaining ttsx's i had shot very well. One thing to note is that I found that the bags allowed me to get behind the riffle better and I had less barrel jump.

EmanP223

WKR
Last page I was saying how my 30-06 was disappointing. Well since I've found ammo it likes, bought a case of it and now I get consistent 1/2" groups. Thin barrels are super finicky in what they like.