Tikka action wrench or vise

So could one clamp a tikka action in a proper bench vise instead of using and action wrench? I would think I could get a good grip on the flat sided action in my vise with a couple sheets of paper or thin aluminum plates.

What is the best way to twist off a tikka barrel and torque on a new prefit without buying all the specialized tools. I have a good vise, torque wrenches and I think I could build a barrel clamp/vise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is much easier to hold the barrel steady and remove the action than the other way around.
Tikka puts their factory barrels on pretty tight, so getting it off will be much harder than putting the new pre-fit on.
The Viper barrel vice is good, however if you have a good bench vice you could get or make barrel jaws for it. Then an action wrench and torque wrench are all you need.

OP
PantherCity
It is much easier to hold the barrel steady and remove the action than the other way around.
Tikka puts their factory barrels on pretty tight, so getting it off will be much harder than putting the new pre-fit on.
The Viper barrel vice is good, however if you have a good bench vice you could get or make barrel jaws for it. Then an action wrench and torque wrench are all you need.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kpk

WKR
I tried this recently. Put the action in a 6" vise and used an 18" pipe wrench with breaker. I'd soaked it in penetrating oil for a week. I put my body weight on it and then smacked with a deadblow. I absolutely could not budge it. I had always planned to trash the barrel so I did a relief cut with a good hacksaw. Took me maybe 20 minutes and then the barrel basically spun off by hand.

Sled

WKR
I tried this recently. Put the action in a 6" vise and used an 18" pipe wrench with breaker. I'd soaked it in penetrating oil for a week. I put my body weight on it and then smacked with a deadblow. I absolutely could not budge it. I had always planned to trash the barrel so I did a relief cut with a good hacksaw. Took me maybe 20 minutes and then the barrel basically spun off by hand.

I had a similar experience but tried several other tricks. The result was the same. An angle grinder did the trick.