Tikka Aftermarket Stocks, What Do You Like?

Clarktar

WKR
Those look like a great option for an ultralight mountain rifle setup! I'll keep them in mind for the next build!

I'm planning to sell my Kimber Montana in 270. It's a great shooter but I'd rather go short action to help offset the weight of the suppressor. I made to many bad decisions last season taking shots without putting my ear plugs in.

Thanks for informing me on the Wildcat composite stock. Affordable stock when compared to other options (MPI, OregonGunsmithing, Manners etc). I might have to order one of those!

Clarktar

WKR
I realize you're looking more for a long range type stock, but wildcat composites out of Alberta makes a tikka stock that weighs 17oz with aluminum pillars (no recoil pad or paint, but sanded and filled). I've got one on order and hope to have it within the next month or so. Looking forward to finishing it out and seeing what the final weight ends up on my superlite 30-06.

Keep us posted on that stock. I am interested in one.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Pretty easy to figure it out when a stock change fixes it.

The thermal expansion of the polymer used in most (all?) decent stocks, with the Tikka being quite possible the best, is way beyond what a stock used exposed to. In other words- while lots of factory stocks suck, the plastic stocks are not expanding or contracting and causing zero shifts.

I have also seen tupperware stocks cause fliers.

Yes, but from flexing- not tempature changes causing shifts. Have been a part of lots of testing to determine what causes impact shifts on rifle system components.

The thermal expansion of the polymer used in most (all?) decent stocks, with the Tikka being quite possible the best, is way beyond what a stock used exposed to. In other words- while lots of factory stocks suck, the plastic stocks are not expanding or contracting and causing zero shifts.

Yes, but from flexing- not tempature changes causing shifts. Have been a part of lots of testing to determine what causes impact shifts on rifle system components.

I AGREE with, Formid, on this subject,..
I have seen NO, POI changes from, my, Tikka T3, Lite SS, .270 WSM, Factory stock, so far !
NOR, my son's T3X 7mm-08 with, Temp's ranging from, 20 to 50 degrees, on our weekly shooting outings.
I put a Voodoo Tactical, cheek rest on it, to get a better "cheek weld", that's it ! The stock seems to be a very high impact type of, "Plastic" with NO, twist or flexing of forend like, the Rem SPS, HAS !

FURMAN

WKR

I will not argue with you and will not question your line of work. I also will not derail the thread. Plastic stocks are cheap junk and I would NEVER spend a second trying to make one better for a rifle I own. All I can tell you is the few instances I have had a plastic stock giving problems replacing the stock fixed the concern. The rifle is relatively cheap piece of my hunting budget. I am not going to sacrifice a hunt that may have taken years to get the points for to save a few dollars. We have not even started talking about the ergonomics. If plastic stocks work for you I am happy for you. I have not had great experiences.

FURMAN

WKR
I AGREE with, Formid, on this subject,..
I have seen NO, POI changes from, my, Tikka T3, Lite SS, .270 WSM, Factory stock, so far !
NOR, my son's T3X 7mm-08 with, Temp's ranging from, 20 to 50 degrees, on our weekly shooting outings.
I put a Voodoo Tactical, cheek rest on it, to get a better "cheek weld", that's it ! The stock seems to be a very high impact type of, "Plastic" with NO, twist or flexing of forend like, the Rem SPS, HAS !

You are citing a few rifles. I am talking about many. Again If they work for you great.

Don't get me wrong, I know the factory stock will get me all the accuracy I could ever need but how much cooler would that Tikka be to carry around in something like this!!!

vqZYP6S.jpg

Of course you could buy another Tikka for the price of the stock but hell then you'd just have two ugly guns hahaha

I can "put up" with, the looks of, the Tikka stock ( mine, "shoots",.. GREAT ! ) and with the Money saved,.. I will BUY another Rifle, next year, when HOPEFULLY, Tikka comes out with, a 6XC or 6mm Creed, in a Lefty.

Eagle

WKR
Keep us posted on that stock. I am interested in one.

I've got an article proposal out to Robby and the team to document the finishing process and give more detail on this stock. We'll see if they decide it'll provide value to the community or not. Regardless, I'll document it on here one way or the other.

Clarktar

WKR
I've got an article proposal out to Robby and the team to document the finishing process and give more detail on this stock. We'll see if they decide it'll provide value to the community or not. Regardless, I'll document it on here one way or the other.
If they don't like your article I would still be interested in reading it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't read this whole thread but I thought about doing somethingbdimilsr once. I did the sums and it was going to end up costing me more than just buying a nicer gun straight up.

I'd suggest keeping an eye out for a second hand sako. I even really like the A7 if you're on a bit of a budget. Sold my sako 85 and Sauer 202 to buy an A7 and some leica binos so I'm putting my money where my mouth is I promise you!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've built a few tikkas and it's really hard to argue against a McMillan Gamewarden. Only thing I don't like about them is I wish they would come with a 1/2" higher cheek comb. Have a couple of Game Hunters as well and really like them, the monte carlo cheek piece gets me the high comfortable cheek weld I like, but it also offsets my face a bit. Seems like I have to tilt my face EVER SO SLIGHTLY to get into the eye box.

The Manners EH1 or EH5 are about as perfect ergonomically as you can get for a LR/Prone hunting stock. Really like them and an EH5 will be here soon for my personal 338 build.

Both Manners/Mcmillan are asking for caliber specifics when ordering now. They beef up the fill slightly if you're running magnum calibers. Just weighed an EH1 last night (unbedded, Rem 700 LA inlet) and it's 32 oz on the dot. The gamewarden/hunters tend to be 26-28 oz before bedding.

Mike

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I will not argue with you and will not question your line of work. I also will not derail the thread. Plastic stocks are cheap junk and I would NEVER spend a second trying to make one better for a rifle I own. All I can tell you is the few instances I have had a plastic stock giving problems replacing the stock fixed the concern. The rifle is relatively cheap piece of my hunting budget. I am not going to sacrifice a hunt that may have taken years to get the points for to save a few dollars. We have not even started talking about the ergonomics. If plastic stocks work for you I am happy for you. I have not had great experiences.

There's no argument from me, I have just never heard that or saw that come up in testing from -15 to 130 degrees. And I agree on most factory stocks, the Tikka being about the only one that I don't replace immediately.

Now that you say you have, we're going to throw some testing together and see if we can get POI shifts from temperature changes specifically with regards to the stock. To be clear- you've seen POI shifts due to temp changes with Tikka stocks? Or which guns?

FURMAN

WKR
There's no argument from me, I have just never heard that or saw that come up in testing from -15 to 130 degrees. And I agree on most factory stocks, the Tikka being about the only one that I don't replace immediately.

Now that you say you have, we're going to throw some testing together and see if we can get POI shifts from temperature changes specifically with regards to the stock. To be clear- you've seen POI shifts due to temp changes with Tikka stocks? Or which guns?

I may have misspoke. I mean metal temperature changes due to firing and yes I always ensure the barrels are free floated. My super lite had fliers with the factory stock. I wish I would have kept track of all the rifles I have had issues with but I really just expect it with plastic stocks so I never paid attention. In recent history I had an accustocked Savage 6.5x284 give problems that were resolved with a B&C stock. Now, like I said before I never did any diagnostics I just replaced the stocks. I can not guarantee bedding the stocks wouldn't have fixed the problems. I have only tried to bed one plastic stock and I could not get the bedding material to stick even after roughing up the surface.

FURMAN

WKR
I haven't read this whole thread but I thought about doing somethingbdimilsr once. I did the sums and it was going to end up costing me more than just buying a nicer gun straight up.

I'd suggest keeping an eye out for a second hand sako. I even really like the A7 if you're on a bit of a budget. Sold my sako 85 and Sauer 202 to buy an A7 and some leica binos so I'm putting my money where my mouth is I promise you!

I am not really sure about your line of thought on this but I can assure you I would rather have my Stocky's carbon stocked Tikka Superlite weighing 6.0lbs on the dot than anything Sako makes for the same price I have wrapped up in my Tikka. The Sako Carbon is ridiculously priced. I prefer my Tikka set up the way it is to my CA Mesa. If you are not really concerned about weight you can buy a Cheap Tikka and a B&C stock for a few hundred less than a Sako Big Game. If you start talking about a stock more suited for shooting prone like the EH-1 Sako has nothing that compares.

OP
Journeyman

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I've built a few tikkas and it's really hard to argue against a McMillan Gamewarden. Only thing I don't like about them is I wish they would come with a 1/2" higher cheek comb. Have a couple of Game Hunters as well and really like them, the monte carlo cheek piece gets me the high comfortable cheek weld I like, but it also offsets my face a bit. Seems like I have to tilt my face EVER SO SLIGHTLY to get into the eye box.

The Manners EH1 or EH5 are about as perfect ergonomically as you can get for a LR/Prone hunting stock. Really like them and an EH5 will be here soon for my personal 338 build.

Both Manners/Mcmillan are asking for caliber specifics when ordering now. They beef up the fill slightly if you're running magnum calibers. Just weighed an EH1 last night (unbedded, Rem 700 LA inlet) and it's 32 oz on the dot. The gamewarden/hunters tend to be 26-28 oz before bedding.

Mike

Do you order the pillars for bedding when you order your Manner’s stocks?