Tikka AG composite stock feed issue

Ucsdryder

WKR
I had my tikka semi customized. It’s sitting in an AG composite stock. It won’t pick up the 3rd shell out of the magazine. I tried a mountain tactical and factory LA magazine. There is a lot of slop in the front of the magazine and if I manually hold the front of the magazine tighter against the stock (closer to the action) it feeds reliably. It sounds like a possible solution is to seat the bottom metal a little deeper but sanding away some of the inletting. Right now it’s flush and I’m not super excited to mess with it. Any other options? Would a replacement bottom metal help? It’s a 7saum if that helps.

Heres an update!

Last edited:

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
i had a similar issue with my Christensen when I put it into an AG stock with Hawkins bottom metal. I had to bend the feed lips of the mag a little and now no issues.

sndmn11

WKR
I had a feeding issue with my Tikka action when I changed to a Lumley bottom. I figured out I needed to take the mag release out and sand it down by taking the action out of the stock and testing what distance the bottom needed to be from the action.

I used shims as makeshift pillars, found what was reliable, and reassembled the rifle to see what needed to be changed to make the numbers balance.

You should be able to do the same thing, and then that will tell you if your bottom needs to be closer or farther than where it sits now.

Lawnboi

WKR
Sounds like your inlet it too shallow. I had an ag stock for a tikka that was the same. Unfortunately with a tikka mag there is no bending or longer screws. The options above are all you really have.

I chose option 3 and bought another mcmillan.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
It’s not a shallow inlet problem. It’s a too tall of a stock problem. The bottom metal is flush. I plugged in my mountain tactical mag and it doesn’t slide all the way up in the back because the floor plate is wider than the magazine well.

Lawnboi

WKR
It’s not a shallow inlet problem. It’s a too tall of a stock problem. The bottom metal is flush. I plugged in my mountain tactical mag and it doesn’t slide all the way up in the back because the floor plate is wider than the magazine well.
I mean the action inlet is too shallow, the stock is too tall. Atleast that’s how mine was and sounds like others have the same problem. My buddy got a mesa tikka stock and it was actually sent with longer action screws, his still feeds though surprisingly

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
It’s easier to deal with the bottom metal inlet than the action inlet, especially because the lug is often glued in. you would also need to deal with recessing the tang and barrel channel clearance. I’ve built quite a few Tikkas using AG stocks, you can’t always have flush metal. Cross section of the stock is slightly too tall.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I will say this. That ag composite stock feels unbelievable. It looks unbelievable too. I called them and they immediately said they would make it right and they’re sending me a pre-paid postage so I can ship it back at no cost to me. I spoke with Pam and she was super helpful and willing to do what it took to make it right.

Sounds like your inlet it too shallow. I had an ag stock for a tikka that was the same. Unfortunately with a tikka mag there is no bending or longer screws. The options above are all you really have.

I chose option 3 and bought another mcmillan.
Not to derail but which McMillan?

I will say this. That ag composite stock feels unbelievable. It looks unbelievable too. I called them and they immediately said they would make it right and they’re sending me a pre-paid postage so I can ship it back at no cost to me. I spoke with Pam and she was super helpful and willing to do what it took to make it right.
Good CS but disappointing to hear about the issue. Ag was on my short list of stocks.

I have an AG Composites alpine hunter stock on my Tikka and the action screws on my lumley bottom metal were almost too short. The screws threaded in but not as deep as they should and that made me uncomfortable. I replaced them with longer screws for peace of mind.

I don't think that it was was the lumley bottom metal, which sat flush in the inlet but the AG Composites stock was a smidgen too tall. It's shoots fine with the factory magazine but it sounds like some of the AG Composites stocks are slightly out of spec for Tikka rifles.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Which model AGC stock did you get?

Hey Guys!
This is Matt from AG Composites. Thanks for the feedback on the Tikka. We are looking into it on our end. We took a few of our Tikka stocks we have here and put our Tikka barreled action and factory bottom metal into those stocks and we're not seeing any issues with feeding. There has been mention of the pillar and or stock "being too tall". Would you be able to send me the specs of how much it is out of spec on your stock? This will help us run this rabbit down. You can email those specs to [email protected]. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!!

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Hey Guys!
This is Matt from AG Composites. Thanks for the feedback on the Tikka. We are looking into it on our end. We took a few of our Tikka stocks we have here and put our Tikka barreled action and factory bottom metal into those stocks and we're not seeing any issues with feeding. There has been mention of the pillar and or stock "being too tall". Would you be able to send me the specs of how much it is out of spec on your stock? This will help us run this rabbit down. You can email those specs to [email protected]. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!!

thanks for joining! I think the easiest way to explain it is if you take a factory setup and look at the 2 action screws they have a significant amount of threading that goes into the action. With my AG stock there is only a couple of threads that are going into the action. The reason being that the Ag stock is so tall (the distance from the bottom metal to the action)

thanks for joining! I think the easiest way to explain it is if you take a factory setup and look at the 2 action screws they have a significant amount of threading that goes into the action. With my AG stock there is only a couple of threads that are going into the action. The reason being that the Ag stock is so tall (the distance from the bottom metal to the action)
I sent him an email basically saying the same thing, I had to replace the action screws with screws that were .050" longer to get the right amount of threads into the action. I have a 6.5 prc and use 300winmag magazine, so far I haven't had any feeding issues though.

Savagenut

WKR
I sent him an email basically saying the same thing, I had to replace the action screws with screws that were .050" longer to get the right amount of threads into the action. I have a 6.5 prc and use 300winmag magazine, so far I haven't had any feeding issues though.

Same experience. Had to get longer action screws to work with my AG stock

Savagenut

WKR
Had to go to a local screw and bolt shop. Then had to put them in the lathe for the proper profile on the head