Tikka AG composite stock feed issue

homers

WKR
Seems like a basic tolerance issue that should be easily corrected without customers having to buy new screws.

Thanks for the feedback. We've talked to other buyers and they we're not have any issues so we'll have to find some middle ground adjustments so we don't make an adjustment that is good for some but then creates problems for others. Our design team has the feedback and will start to work on this.

Lawnboi

WKR
Hey Guys!
This is Matt from AG Composites. Thanks for the feedback on the Tikka. We are looking into it on our end. We took a few of our Tikka stocks we have here and put our Tikka barreled action and factory bottom metal into those stocks and we're not seeing any issues with feeding. There has been mention of the pillar and or stock "being too tall". Would you be able to send me the specs of how much it is out of spec on your stock? This will help us run this rabbit down. You can email those specs to [email protected]. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!!
I no longer have the stock, it was ordered by the smith, bedded and then sent back to you guys when No idea where it went from there.

The front pillar was okay, the rear was so long that I was torqued in 1 revolution, 2 threads was all that was engaging the action.

Unlike Remington 700s and clones the tikka mags can’t be adjusted, longer screws may work but in my case still left the mag too far away from the inlet, and because of the way tikka mags go in and are held, it caused rounds to either not be picked up, or Nose dive into the breach face.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Matt, while we have your ear, a couple things. there is clearance between the lug and the lug recess in the action. On some stocks the pillars are centered when the action is forward. Needs to be the other way. Regarding the lugs, please don’t glue them in. If they aren’t absolutely perfectly square, they only make contact on one side. When you bed them you’re left with very thin layers on the lug which flake off, leaving the same angled relationship. If The lug is free you can attach it to the action first, in the proper position, then bed and glue the lug in the stock.

Hi Matt, while we have your ear, a couple things. there is clearance between the lug and the lug recess in the action. On some stocks the pillars are centered when the action is forward. Needs to be the other way. Regarding the lugs, please don’t glue them in. If they aren’t absolutely perfectly square, they only make contact on one side. When you bed them you’re left with very thin layers on the lug which flake off, leaving the same angled relationship. If The lug is free you can attach it to the action first, in the proper position, then bed and glue the lug in the stock.
Hello.
We sell our Tikka stocks through Gun builders / Distributors and when they order they specify whether they want the lug loose or set (epoxied in). Each of the gun builders have their own methods. I would encourage anyone who buys one of our Tikka stocks to specify to the distributor how they want their lug. Thanks!

Dunky

WKR
This is Matt from AG Composites. Thanks for the feedback on the Tikka. We are looking into it on our end. We took a few of our Tikka stocks we have here and put our Tikka barreled action and factory bottom metal into those stocks and we're not seeing any issues with feeding. There has been mention of the pillar and or stock "being too tall". Would you be able to send me the specs of how much it is out of spec on your stock? This will help us run this rabbit down. You can email those specs to [email protected]. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks!!
i have an AG Alpine hunter. I can only get it to feed with HCA bottom metal and HCA magazine with longer action screws that were special made. I have tried 3 other bottom metal magazine combinations and it wont feed. Standard tikka action screws will not get any thread into the action. Love the stock but was anticipating a stock that would be useful for standard bottom metal/ mag combinations. Should also add i have a privateer on another tikka and it feeds fine with every combo mag / bottom metal.

Last edited:

Dunky

WKR
Like the OP, with a mountain tactical bottom metal on , i had to push up on the magazine to get to feed on the alpine hunter

Lawnboi

WKR
i have an AG Alpine hunter. I can only get it to feed with HCA bottom metal and HCA magazine with longer action screws that were special made. I have tried 3 other bottom metal magazine combinations and it wont feed. Standard tikka action screws will not get any thread into the action. Love the stock but was anticipating a stock that would be useful for standard bottom metal/ mag combinations. Should also add i have a privateer on another tikka and it feeds fine with every combo mag / bottom metal.
This is exactly the way my alpine hunter showed up. Besides being bedded by the smith

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I will repeat, the feel of this gun is unbelievable. I’ve been shooting it quite a bit and it’s hard to shoot any of my other guns. The stock feels great.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
What was the outcome on your feed issue? AG stock for my Tikka has been on my list

I will repeat, the feel of this gun is unbelievable. I’ve been shooting it quite a bit and it’s hard to shoot any of my other guns. The stock feels great.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
What was the outcome on your feed issue? AG stock for my Tikka has been on my list
The gun smiths solution was to grind out the inlet. It feeds, but it’s no longer flush. This is after stating that he wouldn’t do it. Then when asked how he fixed the issue he replied “stock adjustment”. Didn’t figure out what the adjustment was until it arrived in the mail! 😮

i haven’t reached out to AG to see their thoughts on what the smith did but they were in communication with me and the smith.

Last edited:
Hello,
Thank you for reaching out to us. We are in the process of creating a new design that will result in the bottom metal to sit flush. I wish it was an easy fix but the new design will require new molds which takes time from start to finish. The new mold would address the stock being "too tall". This new design was triggered by the feedback we have received from this forum. We do appreciate hearing from our customers. In the meantime, we lowered the inlet to ensure action screws would have sufficient grab and the rounds would feed. This adjustment does cause the bottom metal to sit recessed. A lot of customers were ok with that, short term, but we as a company wanted to make our product better hence the new molds. As far as your stock, because it will require new molds, we are more than happy to replace your stock with a new one when the new molds are ready. Just let me know about your stock and we will keep the Rokslide family up to date when the new Alpine Hunter Tikka molds are ready.

Thanks!

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I'm bumping this up.

Checked my 223 tikka in a mesa stock this morning and I dont have any feeding problems with mountain tactical replacement bottom metal with tikka mags and mountain tactical mags.

I DO however only have 1.5-2 maximum threads engaging the action. Has anyone found a place to get replacement longer action screws with an allen or torq head?

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm bumping this up.

Checked my 223 tikka in a AG stock this morning and I dont have any feeding problems with mountain tactical replacement bottom metal with tikka mags and mountain tactical mags.

I DO however only have 1.5-2 maximum threads engaging the action. Has anyone found a place to get replacement longer action screws with an allen or torq head?

@merrillmtn
What model is it? My buddies Mesa came with replacement screws that are a tad longer

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
What model is it? My buddies Mesa came with replacement screws that are a tad longer

I lied. I went back and checked its a mesa precision altitude stock. Revised my other post to reflect this.
The action screws I have are for sure the stock lenght of 30mm front and 40 mm rear.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I lied. I went back and checked its a mesa precision altitude stock. Revised my other post to reflect this.
The action screws I have are for sure the stock lenght of 30mm front and 40 mm rear.
I don’t have his rifle here to confirm but I’m 100% sure he got new screws with the stock. Last time I torqued down his action I was confused it wasn’t the same as my other tikkas, he said he got the screws with the stock. Mesa altitude as well

I think there’s a reason manners and mcmillan have separate molds for tikka.

Just purchased a MESA Altitude through RedHawk for my Tikka and am having the same issues everyone else is describing. Very frustrated with MESA's response saying I need to use their action screws even though I only get 1 -2 threads of engagement. Both the factory and MT bottom metals sit 1/8" proud of the stock.

I had the same issue with my tikka in a mesa. Called them today and they are going to make me some longer screws and ship out. Just call them. I wish i would have wrote the guys name from mesas name down for you Very helpful and responsive.
If he would have said just use the ones I sent then I would have gone to the store and bought M6x1 screws that were 2 inches only and cut them to length.