Tikka and NF SHV mount question

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m not a Tikka guy but a buddy wants one. Anyone put a NF SHV 3-10x42 on a Tikka? What mounting system do we like? Do I need a separate rail for that scope or can I get away with Sporsmatch rings mounted directly on the receiver dovetail? Or a DNZ Game Reaper?

Last edited:

Ram94

WKR
You got it. Sportsmatch TO84 are perfect height for that setup. Directly mounts to the dovetail with an integral recoil lug.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Ok any other good options? Sportsmatch can be hard to find.

mt100gr.

WKR
I have that same SHV is Hawkins Hybrid direct mount rings on a Tikka. Actually have 3 Tikkas with those rings. I've been very happy with them. But, hold out for the TO84 if you can find some. They're just so easy and solid.

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
I like the burris direct mount tikka rings. They are heavy compared to the sportsmatch rings, but they seem a lot tougher in my opinion.

I’ve got a 3-10 SHV on a tikka right now. I use and really like the warne maxima mediums. They are lower than Talley lows and mount directly to the integral rail and have been bombproof for me. They also have a recoil lug that fits into the receiver. I know a lot of guys don’t like the vertical rings, but I have no complaints at all. I think they’re awesome and have not affected dialing in any way. That’s a 300 yard group that I shot after two shots to get on paper after mounting. I’m not at the house this weekend but if you want more photos let me know. To me, a 3-10 SHV on a tikka in warne maximas is basically the ultimate hunting tool to use and abuse.

Attachments

• 3E47666B-B5B5-46BC-88A5-1E1EEBA8C4BB.jpeg
    3E47666B-B5B5-46BC-88A5-1E1EEBA8C4BB.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 120
  • A0CE1815-4967-40D3-99DB-257113F582E1.jpeg
    A0CE1815-4967-40D3-99DB-257113F582E1.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 119
  • C002D7B8-2786-4C49-8578-DA531ACBD50E.jpeg
    C002D7B8-2786-4C49-8578-DA531ACBD50E.jpeg
    557.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

Bcleck90

WKR
Mountain Tactical rail and medium Seekins rings is what I used. The lows would not work and I’d probably skip the Mountain Tactical rail in the future.

Ok any other good options? Sportsmatch can be hard to find.
You may have ordered something already but, fwiw, I went on Tawnado about a week ago, saw the sportsmatch TO84 were out of stock, and entered my email for the "request notification when back in stock". 2 days later I got an email saying they were in stock again. Went to the site and checked out. Easy peasey. They were $59.62 + 0.60 international conversion fee.

I guess they go in and out of stock a lot.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Why not the 25? Its never messed with anything that I have mounted to them.
Because, I'm not much of a tacticool fellow. I have no need to shoot 1200 yards, don't need the additional elevation adjustment, and don't want the ocular on my scope placed any higher than necessary. Some of my guns have traditional straight combs to the stocks. I want zero cant for a low mount and good cheek weld.

IMO, Hawkins is missing the boat by not offering a zero cant model. I even asked them and they said they get asked for them all the time. HUH? Well, I run a business too, and if I get asked for something a lot, I'm gonna figure out a way to bring it to my customers. I don't get it. Sales 101! If a guy walks into your store and wants to buy a pair of brown shoes, sell him a damn pair of brown shoes!

archp625

WKR
Because, I'm not much of a tacticool fellow. I have no need to shoot 1200 yards, don't need the additional elevation adjustment, and don't want the ocular on my scope placed any higher than necessary. Some of my guns have traditional straight combs to the stocks. I want zero cant.

IMO, Hawkins is missing the boat by not offering a zero cant model. I even asked them and they said they get asked for them all the time. HUH? Well, I run a business too, and if I get asked for something a lot, I'm gonna figure out a way to bring it to my customers. I don't get it. Sales 101! If a guy walks into your store and wants to buy a pair of brown shoes, sell him a damn pair of brown shoes!
Makes sense. I was just curious. To be honest I didn't know they didn't make a 0.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
From a machining perspective, it would be easier to make a zero model than the 25.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Does Talley put a pin on their light weights for Tikka? I know they do for defiance which is kind of cool.

Lawnboi

WKR
Does Talley put a pin on their light weights for Tikka? I know they do for defiance which is kind of cool.
I gave up on talleys way before I got the tikka fever.

Honestly I see two options as viable on a tikka.

-A rail with a recoil lug in it and picatinny rings.
-Direct to rail attachment like sportsmatch and spuhr with a recoil pin in place.

I wish there were more options for direct to rail attachment on the tikkas. The less I can have to loosen the better.

The tikkas that come with picatinny rails are not only pinned but also bonded with epoxy, if that tells you anything.

There’s a reason almost every newer higher end action is not holding a scope on with 4 little 6x48 screws and no pins.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I gave up on talleys way before I got the tikka fever.

Honestly I see two options as viable on a tikka.

-A rail with a recoil lug in it and picatinny rings.
-Direct to rail attachment like sportsmatch and spuhr with a recoil pin in place.

I wish there were more options for direct to rail attachment on the tikkas. The less I can have to loosen the better.

The tikkas that come with picatinny rails are not only pinned but also bonded with epoxy, if that tells you anything.

There’s a reason almost every newer higher end action is not holding a scope on with 4 little 6x48 screws and no pins.
I know, all my guns are 8-40, But that said, it wasn’t that long ago when all receiver screws were 6-48 and there weren’t that many problems. Especially on non-magnums.