Tikka bolt rotation

What’s up guys just testing out my Tikka t3x superlite 6.5 after finally finding ammo.

I notice that when I close the bolt with a round in it the bolt won’t let me rotate the handle down unless I give slight foward pressure on the bolt while rotating it down.

is this normal for tikkas?

not sure my other rifles do this.

My old T3X 30-06 wouldn’t let me close the bolt with Federal fusions. Fed premium Partitions were no problem, but I literally couldn’t use fusions bc the bolt wouldn’t close with them

Does it only do it on un fired ammo? Also make sure the safety is all the way on fire. I love my tikka but I noticed the safety can get bumped a little and the bolt will lock on me.

OP
F
It did it with both hornady and sellier

the hornadys are the most popular from what I read with this rifle to. Maybe just how it is

If you own a Sharpy, mark up the ojive of the bullet, the shoulder of the case, and the head of the case and then chamber one up and see if and where the marker is swiped off.

What, if anything is making contact early, or if its just the extractor needing to jump the rim, ect....

I take it you don't roll your own ammo.

TxxAgg

WKR
My old T3X 30-06 wouldn’t let me close the bolt with Federal fusions. Fed premium Partitions were no problem, but I literally couldn’t use fusions bc the bolt wouldn’t close with them
My t3x in 6.5 CM doesn't like Fusions either.

Does the bolt glide smoothly when you slowly move it back and forth? It is pretty common for the composite tikka stocks to compress around the action and cause bolt binding anywhere around or above 40 inch/lbs. If you notice it hanging up or not gliding like butter as tikka actions should then remove your action screws, remove the action from stock and reset on lug, start front and rear screw about 35 inch lbs and see if bolt is moving smoothly, if it is bump up a bit at a time until you get to the 44 inch lb factory spec. On all my tikkas I have had to back off the rear action screw to get a smooth action or more recently I installed Lumley steel pillars which removed the problem. Easy to do on your own.

I have had cheap federal ammo not chamber in my 6.5 tikka as well.

cutback

FNG
Many Tikkas have tight headspace. I've had to bump the shoulders of Nosler factory loaded ammo about .002 on 1/2 of the boxes, multiple times. Fit was perfect, after that.

Wapiti1

WKR
That can happen when the bolt isn't hitting the small camming surface in the receiver. You have to overcome the force of the ejector and the force to snap the extractor over the case rim. If it is timed correctly, the bolt hits the cam and forces it forward for you just by rotating the bolt down. If the timing is a little off, you will have to help it.

Jeremy