Tikka break-in

Going to pick up a superlite soon hopefully. If I can get it in the morning I would like to try and get the barrel going as quick as I can get to the range. Do tikka barrels need breaking in or do they just need a few foulers then start shooting groups?

Lawnboi

WKR
Clean it good including the barrel prior to shooting to get the factory oil out.

All Iv done is shoot a box or so, clean it, then keep shooting. My tikkas clean much much easier than any of my other factory barrels.

There was a long thread on barrel break in - you might give that a read because opinions vary quite a bit.

mt100gr.

WKR
I've broken in some Tikka barrels by various methods and did zero break in on others. There is no measurable difference in my experience.

A good friend of mine recently bought his first Tikka and I happened to be at his house when he wanted to break it in. I talked him into just shooting it and told him I'd buy it if he wasn't happy and thought he should have gone through a routine.

He cleaned the factory junk out of it and we shot about 15 rounds just getting a ball park zero and getting him used to the trigger. He sent me this picture on my drive home. 8 rounds, just starting into his second box of factory ammo.

IMG_3585.jpg

I've broken in some Tikka barrels by various methods and did zero break in on others. There is no measurable difference in my experience.

A good friend of mine recently bought his first Tikka and I happened to be at his house when he wanted to break it in. I talked him into just shooting it and told him I'd buy it if he wasn't happy and thought he should have gone through a routine.

He cleaned the factory junk out of it and we shot about 15 rounds just getting a ball park zero and getting him used to the trigger. He sent me this picture on my drive home. 8 rounds, just starting into his second box of factory ammo.
Looks like you need to take it off his hands 😂

For sure clean before you shoot it. I’ve broken in a few tikkas doing the one shot clean method. My tikka tac A1 has zero copper after the first shot so it was a 1 shot break in. A 300wm took 8 shots to clean up. For reference I’ve seen custom barrels take up to 18 shots. I would put it through some cleanings after the first few range sessions, but from my experience they’re good to go without one.

OP
A
So here’s what I did

bought the gun first thing this AM. Converted over rail and scope from T3 lite and went to shooting. Cleaned barrel, shot once, cleaned, shot twice, cleaned, shot 3, cleaned, shot 5 cleaned and then fouled with 2 and shot groups. It was putting 5 around an inch with factory federal premium 140 accubonds. Even the groups while breaking in were tight. Then I disassembled to lighten the trigger. After putting it back together the groups went to shit so I need to try to fix that.

for those that care, T3 lite cerakoted and dipped stock with stainless recoil lug, limb saver pad, pic rail, and Leupold rings with a meopro 3-9 sporting butler creek caps was 7lbs 10.5 oz
T3x super light with same rail and scope setup but factory recoil pad is 7lbs 5.5oz. It definitely feels lighter.

Eagle

WKR
Sounds like you need to get your action screws torqued properly. I think tikka is 30in/lb front and rear, but read your manual to be sure.

JoeDirt

WKR
Once you sight it in and fall on it a few times its broken in :cool::p

I just shoot them, drag them through the deepest darkest places and rarely clean them.....

KClark

WKR
Make sure you have the action correctly over the recoil lug so it snaps back up into the slot in the receiver. If you can rock the action front-to-back before you tighten the screws you don't have it centered on the recoil lug and no matter how much torque you put on the screws it won't shoot worth a crap.

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
I have just shot my tikkas to break them in, sub 1/2” 260 and sub 3/4” 7mm rem mag...nothin fancy just works

robtattoo

WKR
My tikka 6.5x55 shot like this right out of the gate. Shot a box of ammo, cleaned, and shot a few more. I‘m pleased!

View attachment 138602View attachment 138603

Which model Tikka are you shooting in the Swede?
I adore my T3x in '06, but x55 is my all time favorite caliber. I have an old Axis I rebarrelled, but I'd kill to get my hands on another Tikka in that chamber.