Tikka build: 270wsm vs 284win?

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
not sure if anyone else has said this or not but 270 wsm and 284 win have different bolt faces...I would choose a cartridge that fits into the bolt face of your doner tikka.

I haven't bought the donor yet.

Bummer that you had to pay another 125 to set back the Proof barrel to fit. In distant third place for this build is one of their steel 280ai barrels, but this information doesn't inspire confidence. Did you talk to proof about it?

Glad to hear you had a good experience with McGowen. In this setup, I dont think I need to gnats-ass precision that spending extra on a top shelf cut rifled barrel gets me (which is where I would be at Bugholes).
Proof states on their website that barrels should be installed by qualified gunsmith. I got a great deal on it so was ok. “Prefit” basically means chamber cut and threaded for the action. Not necessarily “headspaced” correctly unless specifically specified and indexed. With what you want to do a custom shoulder measured to your action is needed. (Thus the Nut to save the $125 smith fee)

headspace is very important to the Safety of your rifle!

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
Yup, I'm well aware of the role of headspace in fitting a barrel.

khuber84

WKR
I hate to say this, but proof should not market a prefit barrel, no anyone else, upon an an action that doesn't gave +- 0.001 headspace in the machine of their actions. Action manufacturers should not gurantee headspace unless they know they're consistent. Granted I know errors occur, tooling wears, crap can go wrong. I've had one prefit barrel made for a Tikka, and fired brass was growing 0.001 from new. So I lucked out. Of all 4 or 5 tikkas I've built on, believe all headspaced within 0.003-0.004". Which is quite consistent for mass production.

Proof states on their website that barrels should be installed by qualified gunsmith. I got a great deal on it so was ok. “Prefit” basically means chamber cut and threaded for the action. Not necessarily “headspaced” correctly unless specifically specified and indexed. With what you want to do a custom shoulder measured to your action is needed. (Thus the Nut to save the $125 smith fee)

headspace is very important to the Safety of your rifle!

Pre-fit = set up for a barrel nut or shouldered based upon an action with consistent tight headspace tolerances. I'm pretty sure proof tikkas are treated as a shouldered barrel. If a barrel requires machining to headspace correctly it shouldn't be called a pre-fit.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
Pre-fit = set up for a barrel nut or shouldered based upon an action with consistent tight headspace tolerances. I'm pretty sure proof tikkas are treated as a shouldered barrel. If a barrel requires machining to headspace correctly it shouldn't be called a pre-fit.

my thinking as well. I would call that a “rough cut” chamber (and not a great buy).

Doesn’t really matter since proof doesn’t offer either caliber I’m interested in

Last edited: