Tikka build 6.5 Creed - short or long mags

Looking to get a T3x Stainless in 6.5 creedmoor and putting it in a Manners EHT stock with a mountain tactical performance OEM bottom metal.

Should I go ahead and get some long mags and long action bolt release?

What kind of after market mags are available? I would like to stick with flush fit mags, but wouldn’t mind carrying a 2nd longer one.

I plan on cutting the barrel back to 21-22” and putting a brake on it, mounting a NXS 2.5-10x42 in Talley LW or the sports match rings.

Anything else I should think about upfront before I get into something I might wish I had done different down the road? This will be my first Tikka and I want to do it right.

Thanks in advance

Chase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxxAgg

WKR
Tagged for barrel length. I have one at 24.3" and it needs a haircut.

Ram94

WKR
If you reload, then yeah I’d say get the LA bolt stop and magazine. I recently did the same with my 7mm-08 and it feeds perfectly and most wouldn’t know the difference.

16Bore

WKR
I thought the Tikka “M” mags were already set up to be the right length for 6.5CM?

I’m putting atlasworx BM on my 223 and MDT poly mags.

If the shit ever gets here.

I have the same one and with the 147 eldm’s loaded to the lands they fit/feed fine with the smaller mag and short bolt stop, I have heard of some that do and some that don’t. I’m not sure if the bergers will fit or not with them typically being longer. When yours comes in take a few measurements with bullets you want to try, you may be fine with the short stop/magazine

What gain are you looking for with magazines? I know mountain tactical made some but I haven’t ever tried them.

I like the factory mags. No need to mess with them with anything factory 147 and under (I haven’t tried the 156 Bergers). I use the flush fit as well as the extended 5 rounder with no issue. Mine are all M+ and is what comes with the factory 6.5s.

6.5 CM was designed specifically to feed long/heavy bullets seated properly in a short action. Tikka M+ mags are even longer than the standard short action mags. I'd leave it as it is unless you are trying to maximize the 156 out of your short barrel. I would guess setting it up as a long action has more potential to marginalize feeding reliability than help performance.

Also, EHT stock is a expensive addition with limited upside. I'd look at axial precision or AG composites.

^^^^ This. The whole point of the 6.5 CM vs. the .260 Rem was to allow long, high BC bullets to be used in conventional 2.80" magazines. There is no need to put a 6.5 CM in a long action IMO. Of course, with the Tikka, that's a pretty easy option, and can be reversed if need be.

I converted my Tikka 7mm-08 to a medium length action and magazine to seat 162 grain ELD-X bullets at 2.90" but again, the 6.5 CM was specifically designed to maximize it's advantage in a short action, so I don't see the point.

ericwh

WKR
I have no problem hitting the tikka lands with the factory tikka 6.5cm mags, which are apparently called "M+". Plenty of room.

Lawnboi

WKR
A 6.5 creed tikka comes with M+ mags, that are a little longer than the M mags found in the other short action calibers. The M+ is like 2.9” don’t quite remember right now.
The mountain tactical mags are really nice but a little less than flush. I have a hand full of them and still have no problem carrying the gun around the action. The short action mags are 3”. Iv only been able to run my 223 mags from them as mike has my to be creedmoor. 2 cases of 223 through the mags and I’m very happy with them. Very smooth. No misfeeds.

My 6.5 CM CTR came with a long action bolt stop already in place

OP
PantherCity
Thanks for all the info guys, I didn’t know about the M+ mags and was looking that the length of the standard short action mags. I guess there is nothing to worry about there.

What other stocks would be worth looking at over the manners EHT?

OP
PantherCity
Manners EHT 23-26oz - $621
Mesa 29oz - $599
Axial Precision 24-40 oz $599

What else, what does and actual Axial stock finish at?

What all needs to be done to the manners? I can bed it but if it need pillars, I might need to read up on that.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
A McMillan Hunters Edge for the T3X weighs about 24 ounces, comes with pillars installed. Calling @Oregonmuley for pics...

The M+ magazine allows a COAL of about 2.9" which is plenty for the 6.5 creed with the 156 EOL. Don't know what you have? Just look at the top of the magazine, it will have M or M+ stamped on it.

A McMillan Hunters Edge for the T3X weighs about 24 ounces, comes with pillars installed. Calling @Oregonmuley for pics...

The M+ magazine allows a COAL of about 2.9" which is plenty for the 6.5 creed with the 156 EOL. Don't know what you have? Just look at the top of the magazine, it will have M or M+ stamped on it.

Hunters Edge on a Superlite - I like it:) And like Kimber7man posted weight was right at 24 ozs.

414236795.jpg

413447220.jpg

OP
PantherCity
I’d like something with a high enough comb I can run a 42mm scope low and not have to use a butt shock pack & with a little bit more vertical grip than the MCM hunters edge.

Great looking set up Oregonmuley

Juan_ID

WKR
One thing to note on the axial stocks, they do come with pillars but they’re not set and it does not come with a recoil lug. So it would need to have the pillars and lug bedded.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’d like something with a high enough comb I can run a 42mm scope low and not have to use a butt shock pack & with a little bit more vertical grip than the MCM hunters edge.

Great looking set up Oregonmuley

If I were ordering a mcmillan tomorrow I’d takea hard look at an edge fill A3 sporter or straight A3. Looks like a higher comb than the game scout/warden. Iv got an adjustable game scout the hardware just makes it a little hefty.

OP
PantherCity
I ordered up a Tikka T3X lite stainless in 6.5 creedmoor, Axial Precision Carbon Hunter yesterday, Mountain Tactical performance series OEM bottom metal and some Sportsmatch TO84 rings.

Axial Precision is putting a javelin bipod cup in the stock and I’ll bed it and mount a NXS 2-5-10x42.

I’ll probably cut the barrel back to 22” and thread and add a brake. Open to suggestion on brake. Looking at Muzzle brakes and more baby beast or lil beast 3 port.

Looking forward to shooting it stock and then putting it together.