Tikka build question

16Bore

WKR
So it’s a T3x 270WSM, original stock right now? What glass and mounts?

OP
S
So it’s a T3x 270WSM, original stock right now? What glass and mounts?

All stock now. I need new mounts and glass also. I have a vx 2 on it now. Would like to get something I can dial with. Thinking a nxs compact. Thought about a lightweight leupold option but hear a lot of problems with tracking and holding zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
I try to practice as far as I can. About 1200yards. It makes me feel very confident at 6-700. I have yet to take this gun out to distance however. But that is mainly because it is not currently set up for it

16Bore

WKR
And that’s not a “hang your d%#* out” question. Real deal kinda thing.

I play to 505 yards for fun and amusement. Serious work “proficiency” is 330. Only because my range has a 300M array and I’m 100% confident there...never needed it in the field anyway.

16Bore

WKR
What’s your typical shot on game? Longest shot? Not what you’ve “seen”, but actually taken.

OP
S
I have been practicing farther the last 4 years. Growing up I never made a shot probably past 250, also never practiced past 100. I am having a lot of fun actually shooting instead of the old fashion, I hit a pate at 100 so I’m good. Even though that did work. I try to get as close as I can on everything but like to know I have the confidence of need be. The farthest I have shot was a white tail at 632.

16Bore

WKR
Ok, so one whitetail at 632 with your rig as it sits, with a VX2? What did you use to get your elevation or was that a different rig?

OP
S
That was a different gun. This one hasn’t found a real good place in my system since I bought a different rig. But would like a lighter gun that I like like to shoot and fits me better.

OP
S
Other than if I knew There was no chance for a far shot and I wanted a lighter gun. Which is why I would like a lighter gun with the ability to shoot farther.

OP
S
I have a custom built by hca. McMillan game hunter with adjustable check, gunwerks action, benchmark steel barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor with nxs 5.5-20 that weighs 11lbs with loaded mag. Very nice rifle and a tack driver but it’s a bit long and heavy. I have carried it a lot and for most situations I will take this. I also have a ca Mesa 300win with nf shv that comes in close that same weight, maybe a bit under for when I need or want more firepower. Would like to change that stock out also. I know the 2 times that I have switched one of those guns to the tikka, which I believe is about 7lbs 11oz, it hase really made a difference as to which one is hanging off of my shoulder

OP
S
Not currently. Though I do have a friend who just helped me load for another one of my rifles who has all the stuff

16Bore

WKR
Boom, there you go boss.

Weakest link in your 270WSM “system” is the glass and ammo. You don’t need a different chamber.

I’d bet with ammo dialed to that Tikka and glass worth a shit, a 632 yard whitetail would be more than doable, rig wise.

OP
S
This is actually exactly what i have decided. I am shooting Hornady eldx factory out of it and it is shooting about 3/4” at 100. I got a bit caught up in the new latest greatest, but with a stock that fits me better and new glass I think I should be good.

16Bore

WKR
Shitfire and save matches....ammo, check! I’m one of the few knuckleheads that likes the stock as is. Tried a BC and it was a pile of shit. Next step is McMillan Sako but couldn’t see $550 worth of benefit except for saying “its a McMillan”

Been looking hard at a 3x9 SWFA for my ‘06. What can I say, I’m a pragmatic cheap ass....

OP
S
Haha! I have just found things that I really like and help me shoot better and one of those things is a more vertical grip. Cheek riser is another thing as I must have a really high cheek bone. I am also debating getting a Swfa scope. I haven’t had one but tracking and reliability are huge for me and have heard great things about them. I had an issue with a nice scope once and it just wasn’t durable and don’t want to make that mistake again.