Tikka build question

Hey everyone, debating on having my t3 270wsm converted to another caliber. First I was thinking of going to a 6.5 prc but am now thinking I may like to go 6.5 creed and am wondering what that would take? I believe I would just need a different bolt for the smaller bolt face? Does everything else with the receiver work then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Have you priced replacement bolts? I’ve heard they are not cheap. In theory yes you’ll just need a non mag bolt face.

Personally I’d go to 300wsm with it and go buy a cheap 6.5 to play with.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
With what you have to build on, the real question would be why a creedmoor instead of a prc?

The tikka medium action & the prc,wsm or saum with heavy long bullets are a perfect match for performance from a semi custom build.

I might suggest you contact HCA & discuss the possibilities with Mike.

OP
S
I am planning to go with hca if I do this I just haven’t talked to him about all the details yet. I was actually thinking I might be able to work a sale of mine and get one with a different bolt or maybe see if someone wants to trade bolts. I really would rather have the prc but I think for my realistic wants I don’t need it though I do understand the benefits. I already own two other 6.5 Creedmoors and I know the caliber well and also am sticking with fewer calibers. I also have a fair amount of ammo for it and is substantially cheaper to shoot as I do like to shoot a lot.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
👌gotcha. Good luck with your project, Mike is a down to earth guy & very easy to work with. I have a Tikka waiting in line at HCA to become a 300wsm.👍🏻

OP
S
gotcha. Good luck with your project, Mike is a down to earth guy & very easy to work with. I have a Tikka waiting in line at HCA to become a 300wsm.

Thank you

CO2130

WKR
I’d just stick with 270 wsm and consider getting the longer bolt stop. Or if you’re set on changing I don’t see any benefit to the Creedmoor. Even if you don’t plan on shooting large game or long range there’s no reason not to go PRC in my opinion. Same 6.5 bullets at ~300 FPS faster, less wind drift due to that, less drop, carries energy more efficiently at all distances, quite a bit of factory ammo and that will only get better as the fad wears off in a year or two like the Creedmoor did. And no top it off you won’t have to switch bolts.

OP
S
The prc is still a consideration, just not sure I want the added ammo expense. The 270wsm rarely gets shot now and that’s largely because ammo prices are so high for it. The prc prices aren’t far behind that and also are not readily available in a pinch. I went the first 15 years of hunting with that gun and maybe have 100 rounds through it. The way I grew up was go make sure it’s sighted in with a few rounds before the season then go hunt. Now I have come to enjoy and really see the benefits of a lot of shooting which has helped greatly. I would probably not have as much hesitation but I am not a reloaded yet. I want to be but time and money are pushing it back.

Lawnboi

WKR
If it shoots I can’t see why you would change the barrel. Other things I can wrap my head around but changing to a similar cal, for what? I’d spend that money on ammo

OP
S
If it shoots I can’t see why you would change the barrel. Other things I can wrap my head around but changing to a similar cal, for what? I’d spend that money on ammo

That’s actually a really good point that I never really thought of. Haha! Was thinking of having a hca carbon barrel and throwing it into a stock that was more of my taste but that is definitely a good point and something to consider.

OP
S
Built a 6.5 PRC off of a 25-06 Tikka. Best gun I’ve ever owned. Freakin tack driver and light weight. Shooting 2975 FPS out of a 18” barrel. 9lbs suppressor and all.

That’s pretty sweet and good speed out of an 18”

mt100gr.

WKR
Built a 6.5 PRC off of a 25-06 Tikka. Best gun I’ve ever owned. Freakin tack driver and light weight. Shooting 2975 FPS out of a 18” barrel. 9lbs suppressor and all.
Which bullet are you shooting and What powder are you pumping that out with?

Tannerb80

Lil-Rokslider
Factory Hornady 143 ELDx. I’m about to start reloading, hope I can match the performance with some H1000. No idea what powder they are using.

USMC307

Lil-Rokslider
PM sent. I have a tikka 25-06 and am looking to do a PRC build. Might be able to help each other out.

16Bore

WKR
Have you considered what you get for your efforts after the switch?

OP
S
Have you considered what you get for your efforts after the switch?

You know, I think I have decided to just keep what I have but throw it in a new stock and thread the barrel. It is a decent shooter now so I am going to go with that first.