Tikka build questions?

MT257

WKR
I posted this also in the custom tikka thread but figured it may get a few more responses here.

I have a wild idea and some quesitons about building a custom tikka. I am looking to build a rifle weighing less than my current Remington 700 CDL in a 257 Weatherby which is 10.8 pounds ready to go in the field.

What I am looking at doing is buying a 300 Win Mag in a Tikka. I would use that action for the build. I want the build to be a 257 Weatherby. I would keep the factory stock, the ones I have experience with don't bother me. I know that I will need a new barrel. Who makes barrels that mirror the contours in the factory contour? I am open to carbon barrels, but only if they fit in the factory stock. I just want the finished barrel length to be 26". Any help/insight on this will help my process out.

PNWGATOR

WKR
If I were in your shoes, I’d get ahold of the folks at blackjack bullets, utilize one of their reamers, throat for their 131 Blackjack in a Rock Creek blank in blackjack’s recommended twist rate.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
If I were in your shoes, I’d get ahold of the folks at blackjack bullets, utilize one of their reamers, throat for their 131 Blackjack in a Rock Creek blank in blackjack’s recommended twist rate.
Thanks for the reply. I really just wanna stick with the normal 257 Weatherby prefer to use 110 accubonds or 115 partitions.

Spoonbill

WKR
Proof Research makes tikka contour barrel blanks and Mountain Tactical sells Tikka contour barrel blanks, though I am not sure who makes them. Mountain tactical may be able to make you a prefit, it is something they did in the past.

Afhunter1

WKR
Take the money you’d spend on the tikka and lighten your 700. It is a better platform for the Weatherby calibers. A McMillan stock and lighter profile rem prefit is easy

Eric_F

FNG
Criterion and Solid Accuracy sell Tikka Lite contour barrels, and I'd imagine some featherweight/light sporter contours are very close.

wildcat33

WKR
Why not just buy a new weatherby vanguard or MkV in a lite flavor? That seems a lot easier

To upgrade your 700 a Mcmillan stock and a #2 contour barrel will get you going down the right road. But spendy When you factor in coating, bedding, action work, etc.