Tikka Build Questions

I have been toying around with the idea of building a 20"-22" 300WSM from a Tikka T3X to shoot suppressed. I'm wanting just the plain T3X Lite model, but can't seem to find it anywhere in stock. I can get a used T3X 30-06 fairly cheap. If I get a 30-06 donor, I know I have to -
1. Change or open up bolt
2. New barrel (which I was going to do anyway)
3. Change the bolt stop
4. Get different magizines

Is there anything I'm missing or got wrong? Would I be better off picking up a 300 Win Mag for a donor. Thanks for the input

Rob5589

WKR
The bolt is the biggest expense. Bolt stop is cheap. I'd assume with a full build you're looking at aftermarket bottom metal and mags. And you plan to re-barrel.

ID_Matt

WKR
300 WM or 7 RM will have the correct bolt face, bolt stop, and magazine you want already. Eliminates all steps except for the new barrel, unless you want to change to different mags anyway. Bolt stop is the biggest expense, might as well avoid having to open that up or find a different one..

sndmn11

WKR
If you can find a 270wsm, used probably, that would suffice. Then the magazine wouldn't need changed and it's just a barrel swap.

ID_Matt

WKR
If you can find a 270wsm, used probably, that would suffice. Then the magazine wouldn't need changed and it's just a barrel swap.
Won't the 270 WSM come with a spacer in the mag and the short bolt stop? Obviously personal preference, but if you ever wanted hand loads wouldn't a longer magazine be more beneficial?

Atlantic

FNG
I've been considering something similar. I'm wanting to ditch my T3 .308 and do a T3x 300wsm build for moose hunting. I think you'd be best to wait it out for the right caliber to come your way.

sndmn11

WKR
Won't the 270 WSM come with a spacer in the mag and the short bolt stop? Obviously personal preference, but if you ever wanted hand loads wouldn't a longer magazine be more beneficial?
No clue, but I do know they both use the same factory magazine, and I would think the bolt stop is the easiest and cheapest swap of them all.

Jimbee

WKR
The wsm factory mags have a spacer that resticts length. Mountain Tactical has mags that work with wsm and allow longer ammo. You may potentially just need to file the bolt stop. I've heard you can dremel the inside of a factory 300 win magazine and make wsm ammo feed as they are just a hair too narrow.

Buy a magnum bolt replacment from Long Rifles, Inc. Then you have two bolts, standard and magnum, and can turn the rifle into a switch barrel.

OP
Seabird965
Well, I ended up picking up a 300 WSM off Gun Broker. So barrel & stock swap than any other changes needed