Tikka build - stock advice

TaylerW

FNG
Hey all,

I am starting a .300wm tikka build and curious on what people are liking. I am interested in the mcmillan game scout and the Mesa tactical. Would like to get the mountain tactical bottom metal and break as well. Planning on keeping the stock barrel (t3x stainless), spiral fluting barrel and bolt. I am mostly a bow hunter but live in a multi season tag unit and want to learn more about firearms. Any input appreciated!!

Antares

WKR
I have Tikkas in both the McMillan Game Scout and Game Hunter. My game scout has an adjustable comb which it awesome if you don't mind the weight. My game hunter has edge fill and is very nice as well. They both have the MT bottom metal. I think you're on your way to a nice rifle!

OP
TaylerW

TaylerW

FNG
I have Tikkas in both the McMillan Game Scout and Game Hunter. My game scout has an adjustable comb which it awesome if you don't mind the weight. My game hunter has edge fill and is very nice as well. They both have the MT bottom metal. I think you're on your way to a nice rifle!
Did you do anything specific for the barrel?

OP
TaylerW

TaylerW

FNG
Take a look at Allterra Arms stocks.
Reverse comb and very light.
I‘m having my second one one built now.
They are awesome.
Thanks
Mark
Thanks for the tip! They offer inletting for the bottom metal I am liking so that’s a plus!

AKborn87

FNG
McMillan Hunters Edge works great for my semi-custom .30-06 Tikka T3. I went with the High Desert Rifle Works bottom metal instead of Mountain Tactical.

Attachments

• IMG_5240.jpg
    IMG_5240.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 253

Antares

WKR
Did you do anything specific for the barrel?
One is a 6.5 CM that has the factory barrel (24", fluted, D18 contour). The other is a .308 thats at the smiths right now getting a 20" carbon Proof sendero spun on.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Gamescout is my favorite stock. If the goal is light weight I would avoid the adjustable comb as the two I’ve owned did not need it.

Lawnboi

WKR
Have a game scout and game warden with tikka inlets. Mcmillan actually said mountain tactical bottom metal works best for the non factory offerings. Very impressed with the inlet and build quality of both my mcmillan tikka stocks. Without an an adjustable cheek piece, which adds a bit of weight, I need a stock pack minimum to raise the combD0F8090F-1A54-4228-8CAA-EF4DD2328C23.jpeg

I have a Mesa Altitude on My Tikka with Mountain Tactical bottom metal. The only issue I have with the stock is one of personal fitment. I still have to use a stock pack to get proper cheek weld. It works great, but I would prefer the look and usage of a adjustable comb. I have since gotten a XLR Element which I will be testing soon. and shouldn't be much of a weight penalty vs shootability. The Mesa looks great and shoots great.

McMillan Hunters Edge works great for my semi-custom .30-06 Tikka T3. I went with the High Desert Rifle Works bottom metal instead of Mountain Tactical.
Thats basically what I put on my SL 7MM-08 - McMillan Hunters Edge but so far have the factory BM which is working fine. I did replace the bolt handle/knob but as far as the stock the Hunters Edge is nice for a more traditional style stock.

TX_Diver

WKR
Have a game scout and game warden with tikka inlets. Mcmillan actually said mountain tactical bottom metal works best for the non factory offerings. Very impressed with the inlet and build quality of both my mcmillan tikka stocks. Without an an adjustable cheek piece, which adds a bit of weight, I need a stock pack minimum to raise the combView attachment 253944

What stock pack is that?

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a manners t4, more of a bench/target stock but they typically have stocks ready to purchase on their online store you won’t have to wait 6+ months for. Worth checking out

TX_Diver

WKR
That’s an adjustable game scout with a Wiebad stock pad on it.

Thanks.

Looking for something other than a full stock pack to raise comb height on a standart T3x stock. Have vetwrap on it now but need quite a bit. Will find some athletic mat material and cut a strip if nothing else.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Back in December, I was told by Grayboe that they would be offering Tikka inlets again "very, very soon"

Its been a month since that communication, so I'm not sure how much longer to hold my breath.

OP
TaylerW

TaylerW

FNG
After being told about the Allterra I’m really liking that stock. I’m thinking on the total build including the oem barrel, allterra stock and break, mountain tactical LA bottom metal, bolt stop, shroud and trigger

Sadler

WKR
I’ll echo Alterra Arms. Great communication throughout my stock build to make sure it was exactly how I wanted it. And if you send them your barreled upper, they’ll bed it for you for $100.