Tikka caliber?

CALIBERS I'M CONSIDERING
-30-06
-300WSM

BACKGROUND AND CONTEXT
I'll start off by saying I've drank the Tikka T3X Kool-Aid pretty hard. I've never shot one (played with/drooled over plenty), but seeing as how guys rave about them on here I'm not too worried about it. The price point, cold hammer forged barrels, the bolt on the wrong side;), and butter smooth action make it attractive to me. It will be used to hunt elk, muleys, bears, WT, pronghorn, and BC goat in 2020, and hopefully sheep after that. I was born and raised in Fairbanks, AK and still have family and friends there, so realistically I will most likely be chasing moose and caribou with it as well. In my military days I used the .308 extensively, and really love the cartridge. I've seen it kill WT, and black bear with relative ease. I've got zero experience with both the 30-06, and 300 wsm. Growing up in Alaska and after having run-ins with grizzlies I always used my pops 338 win mag, and handled the recoil fine. However, I'm not looking to carry that heavy of a rifle and/or have my ass kicked every time I use it, nor do I think I need a 338 due to the majority of my hunting being outside of AK and away from grizz country.

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR OUT OF THE RIFLE
I'd like it to be a relatively lightweight, short barreled (i'm thinking 20" but open) work horse that, by switching bullets, I can rely on all over NA. I'd like to keep my hunting range 400 yards and in. With mountain goats in mind, I'm very keen on having the ability to put a critter down HARD. I don't want it to leap off a cliff if I can help it; that insurance is the reason for my consideration of the WSM.

I like the .308 because I can, and have, made shots out to +700 meters on man-sized silhouettes both due to training and very little recoil (we ran cans on our rifles). I'm considering the 30-06 because relative to a .308 I can push the same weight bullet significantly faster, but I'm curious about the increased recoil? Where does a 300WSM fit on the recoil spectrum on a relatively lightweight gun like the tikka?

I don't really feel like I need a 300WM, and I don't think i'll feel under gunned with any of the above cartridges, but i'm looking for guys that know.

Last edited:

ianpadron

WKR
Given your stated needs, go with the .30-06.

There is no weight benefit in a short action tikka, as they are all built off long actions with differing bolt throws. Might as well get a little more horsepower.

300wsm in a T3 has pretty stout recoil by my standards, and is unnecessary given your 400 yard max range. If it was a gun strictly for Elk or Alaska...sure, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Feed that sucker with 178 grain ELD-X and you're good to go. My T3 consistently stacks 5 shots well under an inch at 100 with Hornady factory loads.

Good pick on the Tikka, love mine.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP
carsonkeys
Given your stated needs, go with the .30-06.

There is no weight benefit in a short action tikka, as they are all built off long actions with differing bolt throws. Might as well get a little more horsepower.

300wsm in a T3 has pretty stout recoil by my standards, and is unnecessary given your 400 yard max range. If it was a gun strictly for Elk or Alaska...sure, but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Feed that sucker with 178 grain ELD-X and you're good to go. My T3 consistently stacks 5 shots well under an inch at 100 with Hornady factory loads.

Good pick on the Tikka, love mine.

Thanks for your input, hows the recoil with that 30-06?

ianpadron

WKR
Swap out the recoil pad for a limbsaver and it's not bad.

I used to have a brake on it, then it was a non-issue and also a bit more accurate, but the brake was too loud.

Any 6# .30-06 is going to let you know when you pull the trigger lol

Trial153

WKR
You answered your own question..... get the T3x light compact in 308 with the 20” barrel and don’t look back

You're requirements kind of scream 270 WSM or 7mm Rem. Out of the 3 calibers you listed I'd opt for the 30-06. It'll do what you want the WSM to do at the ranges you've listed and can be loaded down to what the 308 is. No reason to buy a 308 in a Tikka if you're considering a 30-06, it just limits load options.

TomM

FNG
30-06. You can load it down to 308 levels if needed, same weight as the 308. 300 Mag in any 6lb rifle enter a new class of recoil, thus optics failures and general discomfort. I killed one goat with a 30-06 loaded with a 180 NP. Have also taken Brown and Black bear with 180’s. It’s enough gun for me.

Shoot your goat where you know you can recover it. Take out the front shoulders. Nowadays, I’d opt for a faster 150/165. Even if you smack one good with a 300WSM, they still have the potential to fall after death.

OP
carsonkeys
You're requirements kind of scream 270 WSM or 7mm Rem. Out of the 3 calibers you listed I'd opt for the 30-06. It'll do what you want the WSM to do at the ranges you've listed and can be loaded down to what the 308 is. No reason to buy a 308 in a Tikka if you're considering a 30-06, it just limits load options.
Your 270wsm comment peaked my curiosity, and I checked some charts at hornady. At 500 yards a 145gr ELD-X out of a 270wsm is traveling at 2258fps, w 1641 ft/lb. A 178 gr ELD-X out of the -06 is traveling 1969fps and produces 1533ft/lb @ 500 yards. You may be onto something my friend...any experience w 270wsm out of a tikka or other 6 1/2 pound gun?

K

Kootenay Hunter

Amen brother. What're your experiences with your 30-06? Capabilities, shortcomings, recoil, etc?

I'm not a caliber junkie, nor do I reload, I just want the right tools, no bs, buy quality, wince once. My experience has been limited in hunting as I seem to get my animals in bow season, seems to come along for walks ok! Recoil, well, after shooting a 20rd box at the range, my shoulder is sore the next day, but I do that once a year to ensure zero and get used to shooting, I don't have time to go to the range all the time just to shoot. I don't shoot at distance so can't comment, not a lot of open country in my area, mostly thick bush.

308 and 30.06 persist over the years, no by just chance or luck.

davsco

WKR
so just a little input. i had a tikka t3 lite a few years back in 300 win, and that thing kicked like a friggin' mule, or maybe two mules. it was pretty wicked and i sold it. late last year i bought a t3x lite in 300wsm and added a limbsaver recoil pad. still kicks but definitely less than before. but i did just get it threaded and added a brake and am hopeful recoil is further reduced but i haven't gotten it back yet and shot it.

as far as caliber choices, i'd pick the 300wsm esp if you're going after big stuff like elk etc. 400yds ain't 800yds, but it's no joke either.

Your 270wsm comment peaked my curiosity, and I checked some charts at hornady. At 500 yards a 145gr ELD-X out of a 270wsm is traveling at 2258fps, w 1641 ft/lb. A 178 gr ELD-X out of the -06 is traveling 1969fps and produces 1533ft/lb @ 500 yards. You may be onto something my friend...any experience w 270wsm out of a tikka or other 6 1/2 pound gun?
I've been around them but have never owned one. I've never had my hands on a 6 1/2 pound big game rifle I've enjoyed shooting, but 150's out of a 270 wsm are easier on my shoulder than 180's out of an -06 when rifles are built the same.

Wrongside

WKR
Everyone is different, but personally, I wouldn't want any more than 'o6 level recoil in a T3. 308 or 30-06, can't really go wrong with either. But, with your specs- IE; under 400 and 20" barrel- I'd probably go with the 308.

Good luck and enjoy shopping. :) I've owned a couple of LH Tikkas- 223 & 6.5CM- and they were/are shooters.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'd like a tikka 30-06, I have a t3x superlite in 6.5creed and I really like the package, 30-06 being one of my favorite rounds though, Id like to get a tikka in 06.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
If it were me it'd be between the 08 and wsm. I like a short action in a mountain gun. If you really aim for sub 400 and smaller game, perhaps the 08 is it. However, having used a finnlight in 300 wsm for many years I'd be inclined to go that way. I've never regretted the recoil, especially after years of seeing the thing just flatten stuff.

Oldffemt

WKR
Can’t go wrong with the 06. I’ve been shooting an m70 featherweight for about 20yrs, it’s around 7lbs without scope and recoil isn’t bad. I’ve never bothered to swap out the original 1/4” red rubber “recoil pad”. I dropped a 340”+ bull in it’s tracks at 515yds with one 178gr eldx last year. I’ve shot ~ 15 elk with that rifle and never had one go more than 20yds after being hit no matter the distance of the shot.

OP
carsonkeys
Can’t go wrong with the 06. I’ve been shooting an m70 featherweight for about 20yrs, it’s around 7lbs without scope and recoil isn’t bad. I’ve never bothered to swap out the original 1/4” red rubber “recoil pad”. I dropped a 340”+ bull in it’s tracks at 515yds with one 178gr eldx last year. I’ve shot ~ 15 elk with that rifle and never had one go more than 20yds after being hit no matter the distance of the shot.

Thanks for your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk