Tikka caliber?

Thanks for your input, hows the recoil with that 30-06?
I bought a brand new stainless T3x in 30-06 a couple years ago, thinking it would be my "lifetime" elk/western rifle. I worked up a couple handloads with 165 and 180 grain bullets. I really wanted to use the 180 Accubonds for elk.

I shoot quite a bit from the bench while working up loads. What I realized after about 6 months was that hot 180-grain loads from a 6 lb. 30-06 were enough to make me develop a tiny hesitation before the trigger broke. I was still shooting sub-MOA groups, but I could see where things were headed and I just didn't really enjoy shooting that rifle as much as my 7mm-08, so I eventually sold it.

Everyone's recoil threshold is different and everyone shoots a different amount so YMMV as they say.

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
i have the tikka 308 compact for my wife which has the 20" barrel, you'll love it, and also have it in 7rm and love it also. Like many have mentioned the recoil is significant in the 7rm and i can't imagine it in the 300 and i'm no sis when it comes to recoil. If your going to stay inside 500 yards i wouldn't even hesitate w/the 308 compact cuz i love carrying that lil dude, you dont even know it's there and i watched my wife shoot her giant antelope at 475 yds w/it and 150 SST's. i would go w/7rm all day over the 30-06 just my .02 and i've shot out to 820 w/my 7 and that's as far as i can shoot here in AR.

prm

WKR
You described an -06 to me. You could range from a 200 Partition to a 155 Scenar moving right along. I haven’t shot an -06 in quite some time, but I do shoot a 338 Fed which shoots the same weight bullet at the same speeds of an -06 and it can be snappy in a light rifle.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
CALIBERS I'M CONSIDERING
-30-06
-300WSM

BACKGROUND AND CONTEXT
I'll start off by saying I've drank the Tikka T3X Kool-Aid pretty hard. I've never shot one (played with/drooled over plenty), but seeing as how guys rave about them on here I'm not too worried about it. The price point, cold hammer forged barrels, the bolt on the wrong side;), and butter smooth action make it attractive to me. It will be used to hunt elk, muleys, bears, WT, pronghorn, and BC goat in 2020, and hopefully sheep after that. I was born and raised in Fairbanks, AK and still have family and friends there, so realistically I will most likely be chasing moose and caribou with it as well. In my military days I used the .308 extensively, and really love the cartridge. I've seen it kill WT, and black bear with relative ease. I've got zero experience with both the 30-06, and 300 wsm. Growing up in Alaska and after having run-ins with grizzlies I always used my pops 338 win mag, and handled the recoil fine. However, I'm not looking to carry that heavy of a rifle and/or have my ass kicked every time I use it, nor do I think I need a 338 due to the majority of my hunting being outside of AK and away from grizz country.

WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR OUT OF THE RIFLE
I'd like it to be a relatively lightweight, short barreled (i'm thinking 20" but open) work horse that, by switching bullets, I can rely on all over NA. I'd like to keep my hunting range 400 yards and in. With mountain goats in mind, I'm very keen on having the ability to put a critter down HARD. I don't want it to leap off a cliff if I can help it; that insurance is the reason for my consideration of the WSM.

I like the .308 because I can, and have, made shots out to +700 meters on man-sized silhouettes both due to training and very little recoil (we ran cans on our rifles). I'm considering the 30-06 because relative to a .308 I can push the same weight bullet significantly faster, but I'm curious about the increased recoil? Where does a 300WSM fit on the recoil spectrum on a relatively lightweight gun like the tikka?

I don't really feel like I need a 300WM, and I don't think i'll feel under gunned with any of the above cartridges, but i'm looking for guys that know.

If you’re only going to 400 yards, why are wanting to put up with the recoil that those cartridges are going to produce?

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve owned and shot a Tikka in 300 WSM. It’s very handy and useable and to be frank its the only title I’d own a short mag in because of the single stack magazine.

That said, I’m constantly looking to build a lightweight 30/06 with a VX6 and a turret. After seeing Randy Newberg stack so much elk with his 308. I’d load 165gr Accubonds and keep it under 600yds and be more than happy with good shooting choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're requirements kind of scream 270 WSM or 7mm Rem. Out of the 3 calibers you listed I'd opt for the 30-06. It'll do what you want the WSM to do at the ranges you've listed and can be loaded down to what the 308 is. No reason to buy a 308 in a Tikka if you're considering a 30-06, it just limits load options.
THIS ^^^^^ My .270 WSM ( Tikka T-3 SS Lite ) with 140 AccuBonds at 3,150 FPS shoots like, a Lazer and the Recoil, is very "Tolerable" with OUT, a Brake ! The 7 mm Rem Mag. using154 to 175 grain Bullets, would be another GREAT,.. "Choice" ! The .300 WSM with, 180-215's, are gonna KICK pretty hard and a Brake is required for, "accurate" NO flinch,.. shooting ! The 7mm-08 is another good one, since everyone "Dials" their Scope past 300 Yards, anyway ! My Son loves his with, the 150 ELR,.. at 2,850 FPS ( the 162 gr ELR, didn't shoot "well" in,.. HIS barrel ! ) PS; T-3's weight about 7.5 Pounds Scoped, so be careful choosing, a Caliber ( as mentioned in above, posts ) IF, you like to "Practice" and shoot quite a bit,.. they "can", kick, some ! 2 shots, 2 dead Elk, last fall with the .270 WSM and 7mm-08 !

Last edited:
Personally, I love the idea of practicing (a lot) with my hunting rifle. For that reason alone, I doubt I'll ever own a magnum as I have no interest in killing any of the big bears or in long range hunting.

I have a Tikka T3 light in 7RM. I routinely shoot 20 to 50 shots with no issues. There is recoil but the limb saver pad makes it fine. I never shot it with the factory pad. I load 160 gr bullets at 2960 around 1/2 to 3/4 MOA.

I also have a Savage 3006 that I load 178 gr ELDX at about 2750. The recoil is slightly less but if you were blind folded you probably wouldn't notice. The guns weigh within 1/4 pound or so when shot.

You don't have much of an advantage inside 400 with a 300 WSM or 7 RM over the 06 but I really dont think you save a ton in recoil either. Keep in mind unless you put a really light weight scope or just a simple 3x9 on it the finished rifle will weigh 8.5 or 9 lbs.

If it were my money I would probably pick the WSM just because if you do load or start in the future you will be able to get close to the lands and "optimize" your results due to the Tikka being a long action.

I think if most people could only have one it would be a 3006 or win mag of some variety.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
And what would you propose?

I’ve shot, hunted with, and killed with every cartridge so far mentioned in T3’s. Once it goes over the 308 recoil level... it’s not fun to actually shoot. Matter of fact the 308 with heavy bullets sucks to shoot as well unless you brake it.

The easy answer is 6.5 Creedmoor or if you reload the 7-08. Both will beat all three of your choices in a external ballistics from a Tikka, as well as recoil noticeably less.

Oldffemt

WKR
When I go to the range to shoot my 06 I usually take my Grendel along to shoot between 06 groups. A higher mag scope and lack of recoil really lets me know if I’m developing bad habits due to recoil. 308 is a great choice too and I’ve owned and hunted with a few. I just don’t think there’s enough difference in recoil to over ride the additional versatility the 06 offers especially if your rifle will be a long action either way. Ymmv

Wrongside

WKR
The easy answer is 6.5 Creedmoor or if you reload the 7-08. Both will beat all three of your choices in a external ballistics from a Tikka, as well as recoil noticeably less.

Form is right. I tried to stick with your top 3 choices, but its good Form brought up these two options. I absolutely love my LH T3x 6.5CM. It is a drill with 147ELDs and the M+ magazines were a great addition. I don’t own one in a Tikka, but the 708 is more of the same goodness. A real sweetheart. Between those two calibers, I don’t shoot my ‘06 anymore.

I’ve got the older T3 lite in 30-06. I love it, it’s my first and only rifle had it 11 years now. It’s only shortcoming is that it does not like 180gr bullets—and it HATES core lokts. I think the twist rate is not ideal for longer bullets. But everything else in 150gr and 165gr is MOA or less. Recoil is nothing to worry about.

Gumbo

WKR
I bought a Tikka 7mm Rem Mag over 15 years ago and I love it. I would take it with Barnes TSX bullets any day over the other calibers you suggested for a deer/elk/antelope rifle, and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot larger game with it either. I owned a 308 and 30-06 and they are proven rounds, but the 7mm is ballisticly superior in my opinion. I liked the rifle so much I bought a 25-06 Tikka about 10 years for deer and antelope. They are hopefully the last two rifles I will ever buy. Whatever caliber you get you will love the Tikka.

ianpadron

WKR
180 core lokts do indeed suck out of the T3 lites lol.

178 grain ELDX and 165 grain Fusions are lights out.
I’ve got the older T3 lite in 30-06. I love it, it’s my first and only rifle had it 11 years now. It’s only shortcoming is that it does not like 180gr bullets—and it HATES core lokts. I think the twist rate is not ideal for longer bullets. But everything else in 150gr and 165gr is MOA or less. Recoil is nothing to worry about.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

North61

Lil-Rokslider
It has a long action so 30-06 makes sense. It feeds 30-06 pretty slick with the 3 or 5 round magazine. Mine shoots well under MOA to 500 yards and with RL 17 and 165 Spitzers really does a nice job as an all-rounder. Kick is pretty moderate and power is all you need. No point going 308 in a long action and the 300WSM is a good choice too but not as much more versatile as you'd think in the era of rangefinders and ballistic reticles.

Video on mine..... don't bother with Part 2 I was hard in love with my Ruger American 450 and I do carry it when my son is the primary sheep shooter but the 30-06 is a no compromise medium game beast taker to as far as you should be shooting.

jhm2023

WKR
I'd pick the '06 out of the ones you mentioned. If it were me though, I'd get one in a 7mm rem mag. Of course it's my favorite cartridge so I have a little bias but the results don't lie. The recoil is similar to the '06 (my wife hunts with it when I'm carrying my 33 Nos) , shoots flatter and the bullets have a better sectional density which helps with penetration on the bigger critters. Pushing a 140-145 gr mono bullet over 3,100 fps really has a way of putting animals down with a quickness. There isn't an advantage of getting a short mag in a Tikka because all they do is have a shorter bolt stop in the same length same weight action and some extra plastic in the back of the magazine. If you have any doubt about the capability of the smaller bullet this grizz dropped at the shot when I pinned his shoulder with a little 140 gr ttsx. Same results on all the other grizz, goats and everything else I've used it for.

Attachments

• BROOKS RANGE GRIZZ.jpg
    BROOKS RANGE GRIZZ.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 60