Tikka Caliber

I am interested in a Tikka TX3 as a new hunting rifle but can’t decide on the right caliber. I was 270wsm, but want a rifle that I can take big game hunting if the opportunity arises. I have been thinking about the 7mm or 300. I know either will kick pretty good but wonder how the recoil would be with a limb saver pad? Or should I just get a muzzle brake and be done with it? I hope to go elk hunting and bear hunting in the near future.

Roll tide!

I think the 270, while not as effective as the 300, would suit you just fine for elk out to normal ranges. The recoil on any magnum out of a lightweight rifle will be stout - if you’re recoil sensitive you can have the rifle threaded for a brake... just make sure you bring your hearing protection.

I am interested in a Tikka TX3 as a new hunting rifle but can’t decide on the right caliber. I was 270wsm, but want a rifle that I can take big game hunting if the opportunity arises. I have been thinking about the 7mm or 300. I know either will kick pretty good but wonder how the recoil would be with a limb saver pad? Or should I just get a muzzle brake and be done with it? I hope to go elk hunting and bear hunting in the near future.
I have the 308 - accurate and bullets weights available for all North American game

hodgeman

WKR
I am interested in a Tikka TX3 as a new hunting rifle but can’t decide on the right caliber. I was 270wsm, but want a rifle that I can take big game hunting.

I'm not following, what big game can't you hunt with a 270WSM that you can with a 7mm or 300?

In the field, those are a lot more alike than different.

Rob5589

WKR
Don't know much about the 270 wsm but, I can't imagine it not killing anything you'd want it to.

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I don't find shooting 300wm 200gr Precision Hunters bad at all with a Limbsaver. I haven't shot anything hotter than that, but I wouldn't be afraid to either.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Before I decided to just rehab a rifle I already have, I was going to get a T3X in 300 WSM, swap out bolt stops, get the WSM magazine from Hells Canyon Armory, and try some Berger 200.20Xs and 210s. I might still do that...

HiMtnHntr

WKR
A lot goes into picking a caliber. Depends on what you mostly hunt, common ranges, how much you want to shoot, whether or not you reload, etc... the caliber you choose really doesn't matter much! You can kill stuff deader than heck with a variety of calibers. If it were me I'd chose the tikka in a short action platform that still packs some punch because, well, I like punch! I shoot a 300 wsm, and wouldn't choose anything else if I could.

Mt Al

WKR
want a rifle that I can take big game hunting

As mentioned by others above, pick one and go. 7mm-08, 308, 270, 270 WSM, they all work fine for any big game. Shot placement with a decent bullet is what matters. Buy what you'd practice most with, because that's what leads to shot placement.

16Bore

WKR
Hunting is 99 problems and the chambering ain’t one. Odds are your “everyday” rifle will do just fine on your “one day” hunt.

Richieber

FNG
I have a T3x in 7mm mag that is an absolute tack driver. Put a limbsaver on and don't even feel the recoil a bit, could should that gun all day if I wanted. That said whatever 7mm can take down the 270WSM will do the same.

Roll tide!

I think the 270, while not as effective as the 300, would suit you just fine for elk out to normal ranges. The recoil on any magnum out of a lightweight rifle will be stout - if you’re recoil sensitive you can have the rifle threaded for a brake... just make sure you bring your hearing protection.

I’d love to hear an explanation of how the 300 is more effective.

Not looking to start a fight, just looking for substantive facts.

My field experience contradicts your statement.

Stalker69

WKR
Man I would have no problem hunting those animals and just about anything else with a 270 WSM. Only other cartridge I would consider, and they don’t offer it in tikka, is a 6.5 prc. But I think the 270wsm would be a fantastic round. I plan on using a 6.5 creedmoor for those same critters, and only imagine the 270 wsm would be even better suited. I don’t use my 7 mag much anymore, and sold my 300 wsm. In favor of others, the creedmoor being one.

Last edited: