Tikka Carbon Barrel Prefit: Purchase and Installation

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to install a Tikka prefit carbon barrel. It sounds as though the tolerance in the Tikka action allow for a smooth installation of the carbon six shouldered barrel prefit. For anyone that has installed a carbon prefit from other manufactures, did you find the headspace to be appropriate? Anyone have any experience with installing a proof prefit? How did it go?

Proof prefits are appealing with the exception that the muzzle brake does not come threaded. Are there any vendors that offer break threading services before shipping out the barrel?

J Dubaya

FNG
Check out Oregon Mountain Rifle Company.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
Proof prefits are appealing with the exception that the muzzle brake does not come threaded. Are there any vendors that offer break threading services before shipping out the barrel?
The Proof website suggests that the CF Tikka pre-fits are threaded.

OP
kingfisher

kingfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Just checked out the proof site again. It looks as though you are correct.

Anyone have experience with getting a vendor to adjust freebore in a prefit? I'd like to optimize for 215 bergers out of a 300wsm.

I asked carbon six to throat for the 215’s and they said they won’t, SAAMI only, they said take it to a smith. I bet proof is the same. I have the go/no go and reamer I found on classifieds on the way.

westcoasthunter

Lil-Rokslider
Look at Oregon Mountain rifle barrels. I have not had a tikka prefit yet but have had about 10 remage and all shoot great

natedock1

FNG
i have looked into OMR...on facebook they show off some really nice work but on these forums i see 1 person unhappy for every person happy with the work...i am not willing to take those odds.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Anyone have experience with getting a vendor to adjust freebore in a prefit?

This is why I dont like ordering pre-fits. If you've got a specific headspace you're looking for, I just prefer order a blank since a gunsmith is going to need to get in there. Might as well let him do it all in house. JMO.

J Dubaya

FNG
i have looked into OMR...on facebook they show off some really nice work but on these forums i see 1 person unhappy for every person happy with the work...i am not willing to take those odds.

OMR did mine and he was great. My 300 WM shoots lights out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk