Tikka CTR 6.5CM Review

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Rokslide,
I have spent a year and one hunting season with a Tikka CTR 24” 6.5 Creedmoor that started bone stock. I am an avid tinkerer, reloader, and perfectionist and wanted to share a few observations for those of you looking at rifles for this hunting season.

I found a good deal on a brand new rifle and had never messed with the 6.5 CM before, so just bought the gun on a whim and started load development with RL16 after a bunch of internet searching and sourcing what I could. All brass is Hornady and I found 3 bullets to try (Berger 140 Hunters, 140 Hornady ELD-M, and (eventually) 143 Hornady ELD-X). I initially viewed the gun as a range toy and practice for long range shooting, but quickly developed a real affinity to the 6.5CM and the design elements of the gun.

Stock CTR Pro’s (for me):
  • Accuracy
  • Stainless
  • Modular Stock (Cheek riser, grip area, and scope mount)
  • Action
  • Threaded barrel
  • Bolt (oversized bolt knob)
  • Magazine (10-rounds)
  • Weight (feels solid) I hate whippy/superlite guns
CTR Cons:
  • Rough finish (barrel channel, trigger, bolt knob)
  • Trigger
  • Font heavy balance
I made an immediate change to both the trigger with an MCARBO spring (1.5 pounds) and the scope mounting system taking off the rail and using Talley 1-piece rings to “low” mount a 44mm objective scope directly to the action. I recognize this is personal preference, but I hate “wind sail” scopes and heavy triggers.

Load development:
I know that H4350 is the “go to” powder for the 6.5CM and I have plenty on hand, but I was looking for something a bit newer, temp sensitive, and faster FPS. I have a lot of RL16 and started development. Everything shoots well in this gun and it's kind of boring to develop loads. I really wanted to stay at or above 2800fps and found it was easy to do within factory recipes on the Alliant Powders website. I only had the Bergers and the ELD-M’s last fall and found loads that consistently went 2840 FPS and grouped at .75” @ 100 every shot.

Initial thoughts:
The gun grew on me and was so easy to develop loads for I decided to take it hunting for my Antelope trip. It was accurate, easy to shoot well, and a bit unbalanced. I ended up shooting a nice antelope at 292 yards with the Bergers and was unimpressed with the performance (a story for another time). They were pretty explosive on a perfect broadside shot and it took 2 shots. They are very accurate and did the job, just not exactly how I would prefer. I hiked around 8-miles on this hunt and decided I really liked the gun, but wanted some alterations.

Changes:
I felt like the CTR had more untapped potential and made some additional changes now that it was more of a hunting gun than a range toy.
  • “Free float” barrel channel with Dremel and sandpaper
  • Smooth bolt knob and other plastic areas that had poor molding/rough spots
  • Cut barrel to 21” for balance/easier handling
  • Accuracy improved (.37” 3-shot groups @ 100)
  • I frequently shoot targets out to 600 yards (my home range) with ease
  • Velocity went from 2840-2790
Final thoughts:
I spent a lot of time with load development and found a bunch of 143 ELD-X’s. The accuracy actually improved and I was surprised that the velocity did not change that much considering -3” of barrel length. The gun balances really well now especially with the large magazine and it is pretty handy.

If I had to do it all over again, I would do everything the same and cut the barrel to 22” the day after I picked it up. I still think that the 20” barrel option is too short for noise and a guarantee that the FPS will remain in the 2800FPS range. I also understand I am splitting hairs because one can order a CTR in a 20” barrel and plenty of people use 18” barrels. I like my hunting guns in the 8.5-10 pound realm (scoped) and am much more particular about balance. The CTR is kind of a funky looking gun with a heavy barrel and 10-round mag, but it excels at this (compact hunting) role very well. I also use it around the ranch a ton for coyotes/pest control and it is super handy for that too.

A lot of this write-up has to do with personal preferences and constant tinkering. I thought I would use the gun for a while and sell it, but the accuracy and new handling attributes have changed the way I view and use the CTR. It is something a bit different than a typical hunting gun/Tikka T-series rifles that works really well after some adjustments and a bit of extra cash.

ETtikka

WKR
Thanks for compiling and sharing your notes. A good foundation for someone who wants a versatile gun that is affordable compare to some of the exotics out there.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
I have this exact gun and love it. I don't reload, but I settled on the factory ELD-Xs for my hunting round also. I get around a .68 inch group at 100 with them. The only modification I did to mine was install a Yodave trigger spring.

ETtikka

WKR
I have this exact gun and love it. I don't reload, but I settled on the factory ELD-Xs for my hunting round also. I get around a .68 inch group at 100 with them. The only modification I did to mine was install a Yodave trigger spring.

Do you remember group size prior to yo dave trigger? I just think the Tikka trigger is pretty nice in stock form, I guess I am comparing it to "lesser" guns.

Have you had any issues with the CTR magazines? I'm thinking about converting to a AICS bottom metal but I've heard differing opinions on the CTR mags.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
Do you remember group size prior to yo dave trigger? I just think the Tikka trigger is pretty nice in stock form, I guess I am comparing it to "lesser" guns.

Honestly, I didn't even shoot it with the stock trigger. I ordered the trigger spring the same time as I ordered the gun. I dry fired it stock a few times, installed the new spring, and liked it so much that's how I kept it.

Your review makes me realize I should check to see if my barrel has any contact with the stock. It's shot so well from day one I never bothered to look.

Have you had any issues with the CTR magazines? I'm thinking about converting to a AICS bottom metal but I've heard differing opinions on the CTR mags.

By the reports I've read, the CTR mags are better than the AICS mags. I don't have anything that uses AICS mags though, so I don't have personal experience with them.

OP
K

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback; getting everything dialed for a special draw Antelope early October. I bought an additional 10-round CTR mag and use them both pretty frequently. For me, they have been flawless.

OpsMan

Lil-Rokslider
Good write up. I’m looking at the 20” barrel for hunting out of a deer blind. I have heard the pic rail is terrible to remove. Anyone had issues with this?

mt100gr.

WKR
Good write up. I’m looking at the 20” barrel for hunting out of a deer blind. I have heard the pic rail is terrible to remove. Anyone had issues with this?
I have a 20" stainless CTR and didn't have any issues removing the factory rail. In my research, if anything, heating it up was/is the answer for sticky ones. I didn't need to heat mine, but I have heard some can be a little more trouble.

Fantastic rifles! And FWIW, with handloads, I'm pushing the 156 Berger at 2670fps from that 20" rifle with excellent accuracy.

Lawnboi

WKR
Mine was epoxied on, it took heat but wasn’t difficult. That said if I could go back, I’d leave it on and get a mount that allowed for cant if I really wanted it. That’s assuming your not trying to go to a direct attach ring. The factory rail is steel and you don’t have to worry about it moving, ever with that epoxy.

OpsMan

Lil-Rokslider
Mine was epoxied on, it took heat but wasn’t difficult. That said if I could go back, I’d leave it on and get a mount that allowed for cant if I really wanted it. That’s assuming your not trying to go to a direct attach ring. The factory rail is steel and you don’t have to worry about it moving, ever with that epoxy.
I was going to use the Luepold Backcountry rings that mount to the receiver. Have had good luck with them but if the rail is too difficult to remove I’ll adapt.

Mulyhuntr

WKR
I like reloder 16 in the 6.5cm as well. About 50fps more than H4350.

What charge of RL16 are you using? I'm only getting 2735fps with 147s through my 24" ctr with 42.1 grains (Starline brass, match primers).

OP
K

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
43.3 grains of RL16 in Hornady Brass with Fed. match primers. 140 ELD-M or 143 ELD-X bullets.