Tikka factory tube swap: Anyone have the tools?

OutdoorAg

WKR
I have a Tikka 22-250 barreled action that wants to be a 7-08. Lucky for that Tikka, I have a Tikka factory 7-08 barrel sitting in the safe.

Could anyone suggest a tool guy/garage gunsmith that can handle a simple factory barrel swap?

This is one of the small projects that just doesn't seem to warrant sending my parts to a gunsmith operation. I'm sure the big boys at LRI, etc could handle this, but what I really need is someone with a vise, some headspace gauges, and some knowhow.

I don't even want the 22-250 barrel back, so the removal can be a hack job. Ha!

Any suggestions for someone who can handle this? Or anyone here who wants a side project and has done a Tikka barrel install in the past?

Thanks,

O-Ag

Not at all, if anyone is cutting barrels off they are beyond inept.
Don’t want to argue just a question. Did you try to remove tikka barrel? I did it in compact version. Even with relief cut it took a good dozen hits with big blow hammer.

I’m in N. California if you happen to be local. Got all the tools to swap. Took less than 5 min to swap my Tikka barrel, no cutting required.

Fatcamp

WKR
Scheels swapped out a barrel for me for like $40.
Shot great. Sold it off, but still, they did a nice affordable job.

Stainless or blued steel? I asked a few gunsmiths in my area about swapping a couple stainless tikka barrels and they all warned that there was a fair chance the barrel would be damaged.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
Stainless or blued steel? I asked a few gunsmiths in my area about swapping a couple stainless tikka barrels and they all warned that there was a fair chance the barrel would be damaged.

Barrel on the action is blue, but I don’t want it. Can get damaged as long as action stays clean. Barrel going on is stainless.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
Thanks Agg. Still looking. Maybe I’ll have better luck when hunting season slows down and some guys get more free time.

Wrench

WKR
Do yourself an enormous favor and use antiseize on it when you do it.

You need a vice, wrench gauges and luck.

gbflyer

WKR
I’ve done one Tikka stainless super lite. It came off without issue, no relief cut necessary. I do have a good barrel vise with aluminum blocks and I used an outside action wrench for a Remington 700 turned over with flat to flat. The tolerances are nice on the tikka action...at least mine is. Your 7-08 may or may not headspace. Can rent go/no go gauges from 4D Rentals in Kalispell, MT. I would not recommend doing the job without checking HS.

With respect to your reach out for help, it’s perfectly ok as long as said helper has a FFL if your rifle is out of your possession overnight. If someone near you can do it for fun while you’re there you’re GTG. If you’re in SE Alaska I’d be glad to help you. No FFL.

Last edited:

kpk

WKR
Do yourself a favor - prop the gun vertically and start soaking the barrel threads in Kroil or similar for a few days before you try breaking it loose.