Tikka in 284 win

Iman

FNG
Has anyone built one in 284 win and wouldn’t mind to share experience? Is the rebated fatter case going to be an issue for reliable feeding from the long (30-06 size) tikka mag? Any other potential issues? Seems like a nice fit for the tikka action length wise.
Thanks for sharing!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have one built on a 6.5 x 284 and its absolutely fine.....feeds great and you can shoot whatever bullet you want out of the mag. Mine was actually built from an 06 action.

Randy

OP
I

Iman

FNG
Thanks Randy. Another reason to like tikka action - gives another chance to those in the no mans land, like 284 win and 7mm mauser - too long for a short action and may be just too short to fully utilize the long one.

Say 168 ABLR is 1.490, 284 win case shoulders to mouth is 0.4, and case total length 2.170 that make COL apox 3.26
Considering tikka mag length is 3.34, looks like a great match.
23” 8.5 twist barrel should be able to launch the pill or similar eldx at around 2850sh. seem to make a well balanced all around mid-longish range/ mid recoil deer, elk rig with enough barrel life for some range practicing as well. To push a 30 cal bullet with similar BC would require a magnum case and significant increase in recoil.
Just trying to justify another rifle lol
Did I miss smth?

I think that would make an awesome combo, especially now that peterson has 284 brass. A 162 ELDm would make for a slippery, potent, mild recoiling combo!

OP
I

Iman

FNG
Thanks guys. Checked reviews on the new Peterson brass and they all seem quite favorable so far. Looks like I may have just found myself a fun project to work on. Now need to find out the brass neck thickness, decide on free bore length to have the chamber cut right as well as the twist 8.5 vs 9. What parameters would you recommend with the goal to use 160s -170s gr ablr/eldx/bergers?

Dhbwa

WKR
I should have mine in a few days. Proof 1-8.2 Sendero Lite.
Barrel is pretty crooked but the ‘Smith and I decided to chamber it anyway...Smith sent a couple group pics. Shot pretty good for no load work..
.B7BFBE46-D7A4-4220-9F93-BEEBAB6BF26F.jpeg

slick

WKR
I’ve been thinking long and hard about this for awhile now.... do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dhbwa

WKR
Rare barrel that is less than .010 “out” but this one was on the ragged edge of returning.
a slow curve doesn’t hurt much you just time it so the bend is up.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
The thing about the Tikka T3x is that it isn't really a long action. It's a mid-sized action, more akin to the Mauser of old. That is to say, it's the perfect length for .284 and short magnum class cartridges that were ostensibly designed for a short action but don't necessarily fit very well therein.

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
I’d like to see some pics of the ammo/loads you end up with next to maybe some other cartridges. The .284 has always fascinated me because of its size. Seems like the gap between 7mm-08 and 280ai would be the .284. With the efficiency of the 7mm projectile, I would imagine you could build a very moderate rifle as far as weight and recoil but still retain good performance.

I almost built a .284 but instead opted for the 280 AI with Tikka action. I think I made the right choice but would still love to have a .284. It’s on my short list of next builds...

With regards to your concerns about the fat case, I have a 6.5 PRC built on a Tikka and it feeds flawlessly out of the LA magazine, excellent rifle 👍

OP
I

Iman

FNG
Still waiting for parts. The plan is as follows:

Bartlein 1:8.5 2b stainless barrel cut at 23 vs 24
KRG Midas 2 stage trigger
March 3-25x42
Thinking giving a try to the factory stock. If don’t like it then Axial carbon hunter is likely
Still have not decided on the bottom metal and rings

Excited like a kid in toy store!

Last edited:

Summit1

FNG
Not a Tikka, but a good read for anyone considering a .284 build. Brad

OP
I

Iman

FNG
I’d like to see some pics of the ammo/loads you end up with next to maybe some other cartridges.

eb07eed3cfd6d093b6640ea52720f3b9.jpg

Next to 308w, both with 168 gr lrab seated to neck/shoulder junction.

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for sharing ! That’s a cool cartridge! Is that a long action tikka mag ? I would assume so