Tikka issue

Hoodie

WKR
Bought a T3X Superlight in 6.5CM two months ago. I've always shot Savages, but got tired of having to do upgrades on rifles out of the box to get minimal function (swapping out extractors/ejectors, etc).

I had a good time screaming at the gun while trying to get out the plastic filler "screws" Tikka uses to protect the threads where you'd mount a base. I eventually took to the internet where multiple people had posted rants about this and were told to use a punch and push the things out. Did that and it worked. Still thought it was a stupid move on Tikka's part.

Fast forward to today. Got another T3X in 7mm. Used the punch to push the plastic plugs out. 3 out of 4 come out fine. The last one the plastic is so soft the punch makes a hole straight through it. I now can see daylight through the hole, but the threads are filled with soft plastic from the plug that I have no clue how to get out. Also concerned my efforts to do so might compromise the threads in some way.

Anyone had this issue? Any ideas?

Antares

WKR
Wow. I think you're making this too hard. Find an appropriately sized (small) screw driver and those things back out easy peasy. Doesn't help you now but try that in the future.

Sled

WKR
Compressed air? Might be worth a shot. I haven't had any issues with those plugs and I've had a fair number of tikkas over the years.

I had 2 T3x’s that I had to use a small screwdriver to push them out. The plugs were not threaded and just spun. 2 other T3x’s they screwed out no problem.

Last edited:

Braaap

WKR
I’ve used a needle and a small dental pick tool to push the remaining plastic out of the threads. Pretty easy.

83cj-7

WKR
I never back them out, I just use a screwdriver and run them all the way down till they fall out inside the action.
A small torch will melt that sucker. Get it hot and gooey and just run the new base screw down the threads.

OP
H

Hoodie

WKR
I've got an appropriately sized screwdriver. Out of 8 of these, 2 have come out without totally stripping. This is common apparently given the soft plastic. Hence why if you look into it, everyone says to punch them out.

The heat idea might be promising. If not I'll get after it with a dental pick.

I don't really care that they used plastic for these things. It's just that the plastic they used is basically somewhere between Play-doh and Bisquik on the Mohs hardness scale.

It's stupid. Plain and simple. The threads would be less likely to get damaged if they just didn't plug them.

TxxAgg

WKR
I agree they are a pain. I've messed with a dozen Tikkas, and there's always one plug that's tricky. I either punch them out or tap a flat head in to get a better bite before twisting out.

Antares

WKR
I've got an appropriately sized screwdriver. Out of 8 of these, 2 have come out without totally stripping. This is common apparently given the soft plastic. Hence why if you look into it, everyone says to punch them out.

The heat idea might be promising. If not I'll get after it with a dental pick.

I don't really care that they used plastic for these things. It's just that the plastic they used is basically somewhere between Play-doh and Bisquik on the Mohs hardness scale.

It's stupid. Plain and simple. The threads would be less likely to get damaged if they just didn't plug them.

Are you using a set of hollow ground screw drivers?

I have worked on many Tikkas and those plugs have been a nonissue. Yes, they are soft and require a little care. You asked for ideas and I’m just telling you how I’ve avoided the frustration you’re experiencing.

OP
H

Hoodie

WKR
Not a hollow ground screwdriver. Just a run of the mill set of precision screwdrivers. I do appreciate the advice. I'm sure a gunsmithing specific screwdriver would've helped prevent stripping.

I'm past the point of using a different screwdriver. The plug was so soft it has a hole through it the diameter of my punch. Which is not much smaller than the hole the plug was in. I'll just have to try to melt the stuff and scrape it out.