Tikka Mag Issue

Antares

WKR
I've got a Tikka T3x in .308 Win. It's in a McMillan Game Hunter stock and has aftermarket bottom metal. The mag drops out on recoil 90+% of the time, especially if the mag is full. I sent the bottom metal back and they replaced the mag catch, but it hasn't made any difference. I have another bottom metal from this same company in another McMillan stock and it works fine.

Anyone run into a similar situation? I'm thinking of bending out the mag tension spring to see if that helps.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
I found this on SH. This pretty well describes what I'm seeing (the mag catch is pushed back against the magazine like it's partially depressed already). Anyone familiar with this situation and know a solution? I'm not sure I'm following the solution offer in the post very well (below).

Thanks!

1625601707856.png

Dhbwa

WKR
Does it seem like the mags drop out easily as described in the SH post? If yes, try loosening the action screws 1/2-1 turn to see if that seems to help. If it does then shim under the plate a little. Only Tikka stocks that seem to work as well as factory ( in this regard) is B&C. I’ve owned at least 3 McM and a variety of other quality stocks and most need a shim or two………

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Thanks I will try that. Yes, it falls out easily and consistently on recoil.

The one thing I can see that's clearly different from my other setup, is that the mag catch on this rifle is pushed back against the mag (as described in the SH post). If I can figure that out what's causing that, I think I'll have it fixed. I'll try to keep this thread updated for people referencing in the future.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Also make sure the small metal clip is installed between the trigger and trigger retention screw.

Thanks. Yes it's installed. I think it's called the mag retention spring. I bent it out a little to put more pressure on the mag but that didn't help. I'm going to put some shims between the bottom metal and the pillars tonight and see if that changes anything.

Vandy321

WKR
Shorten the mag catch
You mean file it down from the under side?

I just posted a similar post today. Mag dropping from factory BDL under recoil (7RM) for me too. Just never feels like it seats firmly, looking for that nice audible/tactile click.

Not impressed with Tikka on this one. Poor product design.

Vandy321

WKR
99.9% work perfectly. Probably 99.999% when in the factory configuration…..
Maybe, but The BDL/mag catch should function as advertised regardless of what stock its installed in...given said stock is inlet for a Tikka.

It's the non-precision/low tolerance plastic mag catch, shallow/almost rounded lip on the mag itself, and a weak spring, the perfect storm. In my opinion, nothing to do with the factory stock.

sndmn11

WKR
You mean file it down from the under side?

I just posted a similar post today. Mag dropping from factory BDL under recoil (7RM) for me too. Just never feels like it seats firmly, looking for that nice audible/tactile click.

Not impressed with Tikka on this one. Poor product design.

No, the tip that engages the divot on the magazine. I had this happening on a Lumley bottom and shortening that side of the mag catch fixed it because it wasn't fully engaging in the slot.

Dhbwa

WKR
Maybe, but The BDL/mag catch should function as advertised regardless of what stock its installed in...given said stock is inlet for a Tikka.

It's the non-precision/low tolerance plastic mag catch, shallow/almost rounded lip on the mag itself, and a weak spring, the perfect storm. In my opinion, nothing to do with the factory stock.
I have owned and or used about 12-15 T3’s in stock configuration over the years without issue….Just saying

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
I have owned and or used about 12-15 T3’s in stock configuration over the years without issue….Just saying

I agree. I think the stock configuration is pretty darn reliable. I've never heard of wide spread issues with it. I'm sure my problem is related to the aftermarket stock and bottom metal combo I'm using.

Here's the (unsatisfying) solution to my issue. I swapped the mag catch out with the one from the other rifle I have that's using the same bottom metal. Both rifles now seat there mags solidly. The mag catches are clearly different in design (one is older than the other), but the important parts look identical (location of the pin in relation to the catch lip). I can't tell a difference and I don't know why they act so differently. I'm sure it's some very minor fitment issue. Anyway, I have about 10 days to go until my deer season opens so I'm glad I resolved it even if I'm not really sure what the fix was.

Dhbwa

WKR
I agree. I think the stock configuration is pretty darn reliable. I've never heard of wide spread issues with it. I'm sure my problem is related to the aftermarket stock and bottom metal combo I'm using.

Here's the (unsatisfying) solution to my issue. I swapped the mag catch out with the one from the other rifle I have that's using the same bottom metal. Both rifles now seat there mags solidly. The mag catches are clearly different in design (one is older than the other), but the important parts look identical (location of the pin in relation to the catch lip). I can't tell a difference and I don't know why they act so differently. I'm sure it's some very minor fitment issue. Anyway, I have about 10 days to go until my deer season opens so I'm glad I resolved it even if I'm not really sure what the fix was.
Glad you have it running even if not a perfect solution…