Tikka New for 2020

Richieber

FNG
So I won this in a raffle the other night. No box, no book, have to follow up with the shop who provided it for the raffle to see if they have it. Anyone know if this is a factory gun or if the shop took a T3x action and put it on the Veil Wideland stock?

I searched Tikka site and cannot find this combo that I have. No cerkoting on barrel, no muzzle break, the bolt handle doesn't have the large knob, no fluted barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_20200301_112420.jpg
    IMG_20200301_112420.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20200301_112333.jpg
    IMG_20200301_112333.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 177

davsco

WKR
just threading their barrels would have been a nice thing. should be easy and cheap enough to do at the factory. don't even offer a brake as everyone has their preferences (and i like others don't like radial), and yeah why not 1-10 for 30 cal.

RogerNH

FNG
Yup, looks like they took a regular stainless barreled action and put it in the new stock. How was it presented for the raffle? If they said it was the new rifle with the cerakoted action, someone swapped them on you.

So I won this in a raffle the other night. No box, no book, have to follow up with the shop who provided it for the raffle to see if they have it. Anyone know if this is a factory gun or if the shop took a T3x action and put it on the Veil Wideland stock?

I searched Tikka site and cannot find this combo that I have. No cerkoting on barrel, no muzzle break, the bolt handle doesn't have the large knob, no fluted barrel.

Richieber

FNG
Yup, looks like they took a regular stainless barreled action and put it in the new stock. How was it presented for the raffle? If they said it was the new rifle with the cerakoted action, someone swapped them on you.
It was presented as a new Tikka T3x 300 Win Mag. I'm ok with it just was going crazy trying to find the model on Tikkas website and couldn't find it. I'm actually a lefty so going to try and work with he shop who provided it to swap for a T3x Lite or Superlite lefty, actually I like the stock and would love to keep it

slowelk

WKR
It was presented as a new Tikka T3x 300 Win Mag. I'm ok with it just was going crazy trying to find the model on Tikkas website and couldn't find it. I'm actually a lefty so going to try and work with he shop who provided it to swap for a T3x Lite or Superlite lefty, actually I like the stock and would love to keep it

That's the Cabela's model. They put their camo on a tx3 stock. It's been around for a few years and that camo rubs off quickly.

RogerNH

FNG
I thought the Cabela’s pattern was different. Like Mossy Oak or something.

That's the Cabela's model. They put their camo on a tx3 stock. It's been around for a few years and that camo rubs off quickly.

Last edited:
Sure I understand the adapter concept although I have read they in and of themselves can cause alignment issues and baffle strikes. I have never used one so I can't confirm the info although its on the internet so it has to be true.

What I'm asking about is the minimal barrel shoulder (height, thickness, etc.) needed for proper alignment with a direct thread can. I have never had to ask due to shooting larger profile barrels in the past but I'm very interested in keeping my new T3x as light as possible but would also like to use my .30 cal can with it.

No problem with 1/2x28 to 5/8 adapter on my cans.

SnowroxKT

FNG
Tikka website says the 300wm is a 1:10" twist now. I'm planning to buy one... anyone know when they changed it?

OP
Motown

Motown

WKR
I’m pretty sure all the Cabelas/Bass Pro models are fluted superlites and his rifle is not fluted.

Gila

WKR
Tikka website says the 300wm is a 1:10" twist now. I'm planning to buy one... anyone know when they changed it?
Tikka changed the 300 WM only to 10” just this past spring. They didn’t change their website until after I bought my rifle I think it was May-June. The 300 WSMs are still the 11”. I don’t know if they plan on continuing with the 300wsm or not as it is not offered on their new T3x models. The model no. Ends with R10 and 10” is stamped on the barrel with the chambering.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of guys running 200 accubond and 200 eld-x in these rifles with 1-11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1:11 is recommended on most rounds up to about 205 at 210 it starts to shift but this really all depends on a lot of factors. Weight isn't the only thing. Remember Tikka is a European brand. Faster and lighter rounds are more popular out there or so I've heard.

Gila

WKR
1:11 is recommended on most rounds up to about 205 at 210 it starts to shift but this really all depends on a lot of factors. Weight isn't the only thing. Remember Tikka is a European brand. Faster and lighter rounds are more popular out there or so I've heard.
The .30 cal 200 gr ELD-X bullet box reads 1:10” twist. I could probably get away with 1:11” with the 200 gra ELD-x though, since the range I use and my hunting areas are all above 6500 ft.

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
The .30 cal 200 gr ELD-X bullet box reads 1:10” twist. I could probably get away with 1:11” with the 200 gra ELD-x though, since the range I use and my hunting areas are all above 6500 ft.
Yea there is a gray area between 180 and 210. I am typically hunting at 8,000 ft plus. You just have to look it up but it probably works. There are a few berger bullet that are 200+ that recommend 1:11. I think Tikka goes with 1:11 because their European audience is all about speed and lighter bullets. I've heard they use smaller bullets than Americans in general. There is endless debate but some say lowest twist renders more velocity and more accuracy. To me this makes sense because the more you twist the more energy goes to twist and less goes to pushing forward but I can imagine it being a lot going from 1:10 to 1:11. It makes sense for 308 and 30-06 because 150-180 is the norm for those. However 180 grain is good for everything except Kodiak grizzlies. I wonder why they don't go 1:10.5 haha and capture everything up to 220. Gun mfgs can be a bit frustrating. What I really want doesn't really exist. I wish tikka sold their lite threaded with a shoulder for supressors with a 1:10 twist. It would probably cost them about $50 more and they'd basically have no competition at that price point. Their silly veil series is chopped extra short and priced at 50% more mainly for features I can do better on for less, I'd rather slap on a $30 limbsaver than whatever crappy buttpad they make. I do like the fluted bolt, but everything else is not worth the markup. I'm not a fan of these camo stocks because it's just wasted money. Give me a plastic gun that shoots good idc the color. I do care about the price haha.