Tikka Pre-Fit Proof Barrel worth the $$$?

psirus7

WKR
Hi Guys,
I have a LH Tikka T3 Stainless in 300 WSM that I love, but am thinking about purchasing a pre-fit proof barrel. I already had a smith install a radial brake on the factory barrel. Has anyone done this and do you think it's worth the money for the performance gained? By the time I would get the barrel and barrel wrench, I would be 1/2 way to a new CA rifle. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!
-Sam

OP
psirus7

psirus7

WKR
Gun shoots (factory 1:11) about an 1" w/ 168 gr. TSX Handloads off of the bench. I would like to tighten that up.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Tikka 300WM that shot well (1 MOA) but I got tired of the recoil and had a 24" benchmark barrel in 6.5 PRC installed. After just a few shots I was getting half MOA groups and in my first long range attempt got 3" groups at 400 yds. It was my first custom barrel and I'm thrilled that I coughed up the money.

Unless you’re wanting to shoot a bullet that requires a faster twist I don’t think it’s worth it. The tikka factory barrels normally shoot very well.

Ram94

WKR
Agree with the comment above. If you're looking to shoot heavy, long bullets then yes you may see a benefit but the Tikka barrels are very good generally. You may be better off playing with some reloads to tighten up the groups and working on your shooting form. Not very often a shooter exceeds the capabilities of the rifle.

Unless you just want to say you have a carbon barrel....then absolutely, order one up! :cool:

Edit: FWIW from a guy who has owned both the CA Ridgeline and now Tikkas, your Tikka is a superior rifle if you can look past the cool factor of a carbon barrel.

fatbacks

WKR
I’ve had several tikkas and they all shoot well. Got my first proof barrel about a year ago and I am drinking the kool aid now. I now own three.

The first one I got was a 6.5 PRC tikka prefit. I really cannot find a bullet/powder combo it doesn’t shoot. Not only is the barrel accurate it is fast. Shoots the factory ELDX ammo at 3050 FPS. Can’t speak highly enough of their prefit barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apollo117

WKR
I would add that it's easier to justify the vice and wrench if you have or might have more rifles that you want to change the barrel on.

I do agree with previous posts about keeping your current barrel. 1 MOA is pretty good already. If you don't already reload, you should consider reloading and load development as a way to chase smaller groups.

Lastly, chasing groups past 1 MOA has a point of diminishing returns regarding time and effort. However, there are worse ways to spend time and money.

Good luck.

KClark

WKR
If you are thinking you need to change because of the slow twist, try handloading the bullet of choice first to see if it will work for you. Anything over 215gr probably won't stabilize but you might be surprised how it handles bullets between 190gr and 210gr.

OP
psirus7

psirus7

WKR
Thanks....I've handloaded 150-200gr. The gun shoots 1"ish. Just wondering if I would see "dramatic" results with a proof rebarrel….it sounds like it probably isn't worth it. Thanks for the inputs all.

+1 for proof.

I've built a ton of rifles with them including Tikkas. I even took a T3x to the max by doing a proof barrel, manners minichassis prs stock, krg midas trigger, etc. The tikka action is fantastic. Having a barrel vice and wrench will let you make a switch gun since popping barrels on and off will be pretty easy.

22lr

WKR
Thanks all. I am hand loading now, but I think I’m probably just being swayed by the “cool factor” of the carbon barrels. 😏

There is something to be said for the "cool factor." It's never a crime to do something just for that reason, if budget allows. I'd say there may be better ways to spend the money on your rifle, but let's face it, half of the time we only justify upgrades by saying it's about the performance when the reality is we all want cool gear as well.

If the barrel is the reason the groups are only 1" and that doesn't satisfy you then I would upgrade. If its for looks and you like the look of a carbon barrel then I would upgrade.

You might have to upgrade your stock also. I haven't personally seen a Tikka stock opened up for a carbon barrel. So not sure if it would work or not.

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
I will be swapping my tikka 300wsm barrel out either this year or next.
Either a carbon 6 or a proof.
Tikka barrels are great but heat up very quickly.
I shoot mostly 180 accubonds out of mine and can easily keep them under an inch, but groups open up rather quickly with heat.
Really tempted to go 22" proof. Would be handy.

slowelk

WKR
You can open up a tikka barrel pretty easily. JonBoy did a review of the HCA barrel that he had in a t3x stock. He opened that thing up a lot, and added bedding compound to get any lost rigidity back.

Carbon is cool, but in lighter contours it doesn’t save a material amount of weight, and you give up some durability. I have a stainless steel proof prefit on an 06 for the tighter twist, there was no change in accuracy with moderately weighted bullets, but it improved accuracy with 190 and 195gr bullets.

I'm pretty late to the party, new to the forum and trying to get some of my questions about Tikka aftermarket barrels answered. Psirus, what brake were you able to have installed on your factory barrel?

OP
psirus7

psirus7

WKR
I don’t recall the actual brand of muzzle brake. I went to my local gunsmith a had them install a generic radial bake and turn it down to match the contour of the barrel.

Attachments

• 2188E24F-79FC-4D36-BA13-41FF4647C767.jpeg
    2188E24F-79FC-4D36-BA13-41FF4647C767.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 81
I don’t recall the actual brand of muzzle brake. I went to my local gunsmith a had them install a generic radial bake and turn it down to match the contour of the barrel.

That looks very good, do you remember what the thread is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk