Tikka Project Finished

I started this project at the end of last year. My old Tikka T3 7mm RemMag needed an update. My cold bore shot was moving farther from the rest of my grouping which, with my hand loads were 5/8” groups. I love this rifle, as it was my graduation present to myself when I completed the Sheriff’s Academy back in 2007. So, I decided to keep the Tikka action, drop it in a new stock, and screw on a new carbon fiber barrel. I spent nearly a year getting the new components together. Then I gave it all to Bob Accardo at Accurate Arms in Livermore,CA. He Cerakoted everything and assembled it, along with head spacing and bore sighting the scope for me. The whole setup, including scope, weighs 7.3 lbs.

The following is the list of parts:

Stock - Wildcat Composites
Barrel - X-Caliber Tikka Prefit Ultralite contour
Muzzle Brake - X-Caliber Xterminator
Scope - Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 CDS-ZL2 reticle w/Firedot
Mounts - Talley UL w/Anti Cant top ring
Cerakote-Sniper Gray(action,bolt, barrel, brake,&rings), Ghost Camo on stock & scope is FDE base and Sniper Green

Let me know what you guys think. Keep in mind, this is my first ever rebuild, so try to take it easy on me.
919B8C3C-B351-462A-94A8-E355D8C5084D.jpeg669B10B3-ABFE-4FA3-BB7B-F53C79D0A72A.jpegB9CA9B7C-8B6A-410D-8F4A-FAEF8311BBC3.jpeg7A04C780-E920-4CCA-A3E8-5F9B951B1799.jpeg

OP
LEO Outfitters
Looks great. How does it shoot?
I just got it back today. I won't have a chance to shoot it til next week sometime. I plan to use this thread to document my progress as I break in the barrel and develop some handloads. Hopefully I'll have some pics of 1/2 MOA groups by the time I'm done. Stay tuned!
Your son still loving his shotgun? I bet he can't wait to get out and drop some birds.

absolutely! he got so good at trap that his older brother wanted to learn and a few weeks later he got his hunter safety done. cant wait for duck hunting this year with both of them... i may be hitting you up for a second shotgun soon.

I just got it back today. I won't have a chance to shoot it til next week sometime. I plan to use this thread to document my progress as I break in the barrel and develop some handloads. Hopefully I'll have some pics of 1/2 MOA groups by the time I'm done. Stay tuned!
Your son still loving his shotgun? I bet he can't wait to get out and drop some birds.
Did you stay with 7 mag in the new barrel?

Awesome! Did you keep with the same caliber? I've got one going similar except I got bit by the 7SAUM bug. Going short at 18" and a Grayboe Phoenix stock. Just don't know if all the parts will be here before October 1st. Hence why I went with a Cross

I stayed with 7mmRM. I already have all the reloading components. And in an emergency, it’s a relatively easy cartridge to find in just about any store that sells ammo.

Its a great cartridge. I have one that I may rebarrel with a faster twist one day for some heavier bullets but it sure shoots good as it is. Makes me not want to mess with it.

OP
LEO Outfitters
Its a great cartridge. I have one that I may rebarrel with a faster twist one day for some heavier bullets but it sure shoots good as it is. Makes me not want to mess with it.
Yeah, I went with a 1:8 twist on the new barrel. I want to be able to play around with light and heavy bullets. I was shooting a Barnes 160 grain TSX, but I'm going to be playing around with some Hammer Bullets. I spoke to one of the owners, who really likes the 143 grain Hammer Hunter for the 7mm. I'll probably work up a load for their 169 grain Hammer Hunter too, just to see if the rifle like one over the other.

That looks like a really well thought out build - congrats! What are your thoughts on the stock? I know you just got it back but first impressions? Also, any issues getting one, I had seen it posted they dont' ship to the US anymore but don't know if thats true.

OP
LEO Outfitters
That looks like a really well thought out build - congrats! What are your thoughts on the stock? I know you just got it back but first impressions? Also, any issues getting one, I had seen it posted they dont' ship to the US anymore but don't know if thats true.
Yeah, I think mine was one of the last stocks he was able to ship to the states. He said it had something to do with his insurance. The feel of the stock is fantastic and fits my hand well. I wanted a bit more of a vertical grip than what this has, but I was also trying to go as light as possible. His stock came in at 20oz, and there really wasn't anything else I could find that matched it (considering the price). Either way, it'll be an upgrade from the Tikka factory plastic stock I've been shooting for the last 14 years. I'll be posting more about my thoughts on all the components as I start the barrel break-in process.

Curious on the recoil at the lighter weight set up with the brake. I want to do something similar but with a suppressor

OP
LEO Outfitters
Curious on the recoil at the lighter weight set up with the brake. I want to do something similar but with a suppressor
I’ll let you know. Unfortunately, I still haven’t had a chance to shoot it. But I plan to use it on my hunt in the Frank Church this fall, so I’ve gotta get to it soon. Look for some updates starting in late January or February. I’ll also be posting updates as I test my hand loads.