Tikka rebarrel gunsmith, close to SLC

I'm looking to get a Tikka action rebarreled with a SS barrel. I know Hells canyon does them and I've heard long rifles Inc does as well.

Does anyone know of any good gunsmiths within a couple hours driving distance of SLC that do Tikka rebarreling?

Also, does anyone have any estimates on what a stainless factory contour rebarrel would cost from each of the two gunsmiths I mentioned?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you looked into Tikka prefit barrels? Might save you a chunk. I could send you the number of the guy in Helper who is doing my rebarrel. He came highly recommend but hasn't finished mine up yet so...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
H
Have you looked into Tikka prefit barrels? Might save you a chunk. I could send you the number of the guy in Helper who is doing my rebarrel. He came highly recommend but hasn't finished mine up yet so...

Sure! Maybe I'll give him a call. I have looked into prefits a bit, but would still need a gunsmith to work on it.

OP
H
I might be a little confused on the prefit part though. I don't want to have a barrel nut even though it would be cheaper. I don't like the look of them. Are there prefits without the nut? I thought criterion did one but I'm not seeing it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I might be a little confused on the prefit part though. I don't want to have a barrel nut even though it would be cheaper. I don't like the look of them. Are there prefits without the nut? I thought criterion did one but I'm not seeing it.
Yes. I personally haven't tried it but they say the Tikka action is machined to such tight tolerances that you unscrew the old barrel, screw on the new barrel and torque to spec. Double check the head spacing with a go/no go gauge and start sending rounds down range.

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
I have a preferred barrels shouldered prefit coming for a tikka here soon. They quote 8-10 weeks for shipping on the prefits and Im coming up on 8 weeks right now. Hopefully I see a shipping email here shortly.

For what it’s worth I have zero smithing experience and plan on doing this start to finish myself. Bought a barrel vise and external wrench for the disassembly, and an internal for the assembly. I can update you on the headspacing and quality once I get it in. There’s some reviews around the internet about their barrels but I think they are a relatively new company. I will say the price was right compared to the smithing route, so if it does work out, this will definitely be the route that I take from now on.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
In the context of Tikkas, prefits are shouldered barrels. Screw them on, check headspace and go. Any smith near you should be able to handle the operation if they can be trusted to work on a gun at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I personally haven't tried it but they say the Tikka action is machined to such tight tolerances that you unscrew the old barrel, screw on the new barrel and torque to spec. Double check the head spacing with a go/no go gauge and start sending rounds down range.

I've done this twice with barrels I picked up off classifieds or feeBay. Both barrels headspaced perfectly. Cost me $75 to change an '06 to a .270 for my buddy. I used the same tools I use for my savage rifles.

fishbeafraid

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to get a Tikka action rebarreled with a SS barrel. I know Hells canyon does them and I've heard long rifles Inc does as well.

Does anyone know of any good gunsmiths within a couple hours driving distance of SLC that do Tikka rebarreling?

Also, does anyone have any estimates on what a stainless factory contour rebarrel would cost from each of the two gunsmiths I mentioned?

I've heard ES Tactical does good work on Tikkas.

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
I've done this twice with barrels I picked up off classifieds or feeBay. Both barrels headspaced perfectly. Cost me $75 to change an '06 to a .270 for my buddy. I used the same tools I use for my savage rifles.
Which Savage tools? I have Savage tools.

Sled

WKR
In the context of Tikkas, prefits are shouldered barrels. Screw them on, check headspace and go. Any smith near you should be able to handle the operation if they can be trusted to work on a gun at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the second half of your last sentence says it all. we are in the desert of gun smiths out here. the guy down in helper is who handles most work for salt lake. i've lost faith in local smiths and now send my rifles out for work. less trial and error with my precision tools.

OP
H
the second half of your last sentence says it all. we are in the desert of gun smiths out here. the guy down in helper is who handles most work for salt lake. i've lost faith in local smiths and now send my rifles out for work. less trial and error with my precision tools.

Wow that's good to know. Any experience with or know anyone with experience with the preece precision guy?

Brendan

WKR
Going to do this start-to-finish myself this winter with a shouldered prefit.

Cost to buy the tools isn't going to be much different than having a smith do it for you once, and should be done in less than an hour (except maybe removing the old barrel, but you can always use a hack saw carefully to relieve tension on action face if you're not keeping it - I already have a band saw and a shop press to help there)

OP
H
Thanks for the help. I think it will be put on the back burner though due to having to put money into trailer repairs 😡