Tikka rebarrel- magnum bolt face

I’ve got a tikka 300 win mag I’ve been thinking of rebarreling. Wanting something short and handy that can thump out to 500 yards. My idea is to rebarrel it with a fluted 20 inch bartlein #3 in some kind of short mag case. Top contenders are the 6.5PRC or Saum or a 300 wsm. Trying not to duplicate performance with a 280ai, 30-06, and 35 whelen also in the stable. Being in CA it’ll be loaded with copper most of the time, aside from out of state hunts. Any thoughts, advice, or experience with shorter barreled short mags would be much appreciated.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a tikka 300 win mag I’ve been thinking of rebarreling. Wanting something short and handy that can thump out to 500 yards. My idea is to rebarrel it with a fluted 20 inch bartlein #3 in some kind of short mag case. Top contenders are the 6.5PRC or Saum or a 300 wsm. Trying not to duplicate performance with a 280ai, 30-06, and 35 whelen also in the stable. Being in CA it’ll be loaded with copper most of the time, aside from out of state hunts. Any thoughts, advice, or experience with shorter barreled short mags would be much appreciated.

I'd go 7mm SAUM if I had a spare mag-face Tikka laying around, but that might be awfully close to your .280AI. If you don't have a quarter bore or 6.5mm in the stable, I'd lean that direction then. Or if you handload, why not do something a little different and try one of the Sherman short chambers?

OP
CApighunter
I'd go 7mm SAUM if I had a spare mag-face Tikka laying around, but that might be awfully close to your .280AI. If you don't have a quarter bore or 6.5mm in the stable, I'd lean that direction then. Or if you handload, why not do something a little different and try one of the Sherman short chambers?
The reason I didn’t include 7 SAUM is because it’s so close to the 280 ackley, I do have a 6.5 creed but it’s too heavy for a hunting gun. A fast 6.5 in a small package might be the ticket. I’ve considered the Sherman’s, but I’m not sure exactly what goes into the brass prep. Both the 6.5 saum and Prc have quality brass available, so I’d probably lean that way over a true wildcat.

OP
CApighunter
How long is the barrel on your 30-06? I ask because if its a 24" barrel and you are trying NOT to replicate that, I feel a 20" 300 WSM will be very close maybe just a hair faster than a 24" 30-06 and likely not enough different to matter at that point.

Of course 208 ELDMs at 2900+ fps out of my 22" 300 WSM aren't exactly slow rolling ;)
It’s a 24 inch pre 64 model 70, not a safe queen but not something that I plan on packing 5 miles into the backcountry either. Those 208s are cooking along! Have you tried the 212eldx’s?

212 is longer and lower bc. Can't see the appeal.

With the cartridges you already have the 6.5prc might be a good fit. Not sure on velocity but those 127lrx bullets gotta be cookin for a nice deer rifle.

OP
CApighunter
6.5SAUM with a 7.5 twist to run heavier copper bullets would be my choice. If trying to keep weight down I’d run a bartlein 2b.
I lean towards the SAUM over the PRC for the slight velocity edge, with mainly planning on shooting something like a 127 LRX or 130 CE. I don’t mind a short, stout barrel, but I’ll look into the 2b.

I lean towards the SAUM over the PRC for the slight velocity edge, with mainly planning on shooting something like a 127 LRX or 130 CE. I don’t mind a short, stout barrel, but I’ll look into the 2b.

I love my 6.5SAUM. Very good choice and you will have plenty of magazine room. The 130CE or the 131 Hammer hunter would be where I’d start for a good mono LR bullet.

I've got an Ultralight carbon barrel contour finishing up this week. 22" 6.5mm should finish right at 2.25 lbs on a tikka and I'd look good n hard at the 6.5PRC or SAUM. Conundrum with any of the WSM/SAUM/PRC cases in a tikka is you need to upgrade to an AICS bottom metal or run the Mountain tactical billet mags. The factory tikka long action mags (3.4") don't have enough width in the mag box to accomodate the SAUM/WSM rounds. The short action mags have a slightly wider mag body that allows the WSM/SAUM case to fit but they're limited at 2.8" or so which is way short for where you need to be.

You can run a CDI Bottom metal and a 3 round accurate mag to feed the WSM/SAUM's with a LONG throat.
https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazines/300-win-mag-sssf-magazine/

Or RedSnake makes a DBM as well.
https://www.redsnake-tactical.com/

I'm going to be experimenting with a 25-284 with Lapua brass and the new 131 Blackjack bullets down the road. Lapua brass and they'll fit the factory tikka LA mags with no modifications :)

Mike

What's the advantage of saum over prc in the real world? 25 yards further distance?

6.5x55 wouldn't be terrible at modern pressure. Lapua brass can't be a bad choice

OP
CApighunter
I've got an Ultralight carbon barrel contour finishing up this week. 22" 6.5mm should finish right at 2.25 lbs on a tikka and I'd look good n hard at the 6.5PRC or SAUM. Conundrum with any of the WSM/SAUM/PRC cases in a tikka is you need to upgrade to an AICS bottom metal or run the Mountain tactical billet mags. The factory tikka long action mags (3.4") don't have enough width in the mag box to accomodate the SAUM/WSM rounds. The short action mags have a slightly wider mag body that allows the WSM/SAUM case to fit but they're limited at 2.8" or so which is way short for where you need to be.

You can run a CDI Bottom metal and a 3 round accurate mag to feed the WSM/SAUM's with a LONG throat.
https://accurate-mag.com/shop/magazines/300-win-mag-sssf-magazine/

Or RedSnake makes a DBM as well.
https://www.redsnake-tactical.com/

I'm going to be experimenting with a 25-284 with Lapua brass and the new 131 Blackjack bullets down the road. Lapua brass and they'll fit the factory tikka LA mags with no modifications :)

Mike
Glad you chimed in Mike, was planning on having you do the work. Wishing I would have jumped on your group buy earlier but oh well. I’ll likely get a Mountain Tactical mag as I’m already using their aluminum factory bottom metal. 3.400 should still be plenty of room for the saum with the heavier coppers right? That 25-284 sounds like a wicked case!

Glad you chimed in Mike, was planning on having you do the work. Wishing I would have jumped on your group buy earlier but oh well. I’ll likely get a Mountain Tactical mag as I’m already using their aluminum factory bottom metal. 3.400 should still be plenty of room for the saum with the heavier coppers right? That 25-284 sounds like a wicked case!

No worries man I'm still offering 10% off all Roksliders on the barrel costs!

I'm going to rebarrel the wife's 280AI with the 25-284. Simple barrel swap and see how she runs at 23". Should be a killer deer rifle!

Also, the only reason I suggest the PRC/SAUM and not the WSM is the OP's already having other calibers and options similar to a short barreled 300WSM. If he's wanting a 7mm/30cal then I'd run a WSM all day over the SAUM IF you have the 3.4" magazine option. In a 6.5mm variant, PRC has some fantastic shooting factory ammo. The SAUM will definitely out perform it and is a better option for a handloader. I've also built a few of the 6.5WSM's and haven't been terribly impressed. They tend to be a little finicky and have ran into case donuts on the inside of the necks so you need to turn necks to avoid that.

Mike

OP
CApighunter
No worries man I'm still offering 10% off all Roksliders on the barrel costs!

I'm going to rebarrel the wife's 280AI with the 25-284. Simple barrel swap and see how she runs at 23". Should be a killer deer rifle!

Also, the only reason I suggest the PRC/SAUM and not the WSM is the OP's already having other calibers and options similar to a short barreled 300WSM. If he's wanting a 7mm/30cal then I'd run a WSM all day over the SAUM IF you have the 3.4" magazine option. In a 6.5mm variant, PRC has some fantastic shooting factory ammo. The SAUM will definitely out perform it and is a better option for a handloader. I've also built a few of the 6.5WSM's and haven't been terribly impressed. They tend to be a little finicky and have ran into case donuts on the inside of the necks so you need to turn necks to avoid that.

Mike
Think you sold me on the 6.5 saum, thanks mike. Next month or two I’ll hit you up to get that barrel ordered. Thinking 20 inch in your light hunter contour. I see that not all stocks work with your barrels due to the larger tennon, any issues with it fitting in a B&C sporter?

Think you sold me on the 6.5 saum, thanks mike. Next month or two I’ll hit you up to get that barrel ordered. Thinking 20 inch in your light hunter contour. I see that not all stocks work with your barrels due to the larger tennon, any issues with it fitting in a B&C sporter?

I’ve got a new small tennon ultralight contour that hasn’t been released yet that’ll work perfect for you. 1.120” tennon OD and .840 muzzle OD at 23”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CApighunter
How about a 6.5 wsm? Just to rock the boat
Haven’t looked much into it, but based on Mikes experience with them above and the huge following the 6.5 saum has, I’m thinking I’ll go the saum route. The wsm likely has a bit more case capacity, but is still a little to close to the wildcat side of things for my taste.

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
I dont think you will be disappointed with the 6.5 saum.

The 6.5 wsm isn't bad to load for 270wsm bushing dies, bertram 6.5 wsm brass load and go.

Either should do well on the tikka action, look forward to hearing about it.