Tikka Rebarrel Questions

I have found a number of posts around this topic but haven't been able to specifically address my question.

I have a Sako 85 short action with a custom 7mm-08 barrel on it (24" and 9.25 twist). I have another 7-08 so want a 7mm that doesn't kick too much for hunting but has a bit more speed than 7-08.

I would like to get a Tikka T3x and turn it into either a 280ai or 7mm Saum. I am backing away a bit from the 280ai due to what I am seeing on the maximum length of the magazines (I do not want to get detachable metal with a magazine hanging out of the bottom - I want it to be a normal hunting rifle so would like to use regular Tikka magazines). I think I can probably get the 168gr bullets in but tight and might need to stuff them a bit more into the case using a Tikka 30-06, 270, etc.

I am now leaning towards a 7mm Saum. I should be able to take the barrel off the Sako 85, rechamber it, and put it on the Tikka from everything I have read.

Question is which donor action should I get in Tikka (7 Rem Mag, 300 WSM, 270 WSM, etc) for 7 Saum? My biggest concern that I can't find a definitive answer on is will any of the Tikka magazines work with the 7 Saum?

Thanks for any help to get me unstuck and back on the right path!

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It really depends on what you are wanting to run for the donor action. Saum is a magnum case head size cartridge so you will have to find a PRC or WSM if you are wanting to run a short action. If you would like to be able to load heavier bullets out further then the long action might be better for you which means you will need a 7 rem mag or 300 WM size action. The nice part about the tikkas is they are running a shorter long action than the Remingtons (3.560 vs 3.850) so you can get them to feed a little more reliably with the shorter cartridges.

I would suggest talking to whatever gunsmith you are planning on using for the rechamber. They might be able to work with you on throat length vs action length since it is one of the longer short action cartridges! Talk to them about your different options and whether you will be reloading vs factory loads and you should be good to go! Also take into consideration that you might be able to sell that take-off barrel and use that money to buy a barrel blank and restart! You are already going to be paying for the chamber job so might as well have a nice cut rifle barrel!

SouthPaw

WKR
I just did this build. I used the 300WM tikka T3 as donor to have the magnum bolt face and long action to load the 7SAUM long.

The factory tikka magazine options are tricky. The 300wm will work but the SAUM cases are almost too snug and feeding isn't the smoothest. The WSM mag fits the SAUM case but is limited to 2.8xx coal. You can dremel out the spacer and get ~3.4 coal, use the guts from a 300wm or 270 tikka mag. Tikka also now has a 6.5prc mag that fits the SAUM case but limited to 3.09 coal. There's a couple aftermarket options that are never in stock. It really depends which bullets you want to use and how long you load them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

12wander

FNG
I’m in the process of building a 6.8 Western and went with a 300 WM Tikka for my host Rifle. I didn’t want to be limited in what I can do with the round and be able to use the factory mags. The balance point on most rifles is around the magwell area and like you I didn’t want the mag hanging out.

62F1E318-ED98-4D22-B3C2-6F03B4918F08.jpeg

OP
R
Very helpful! I plan on using 168gr bullets most likely, maybe 175. I don't think I will be going bigger than that given the 9.25 twist rate in the barrel. If using 168 Berger or Nosler, not sure what the coal would typically be and how much room I would need.

Is there an option to remove a bit from the feed lips and inner walls of the 300wm magazine to create enough room for it to work?

Sounds like a 6.5 PRC Tikka might work overall for bolt and mag at 3.09 coal. Looks like SAAMI spec on Saum coal is 2.82" so would I be pretty safe at 3.09 and would 6.5 PRC be the best option? I reload but just never have reloaded the 7 saum.

12wander

FNG
I just did this build. I used the 300WM tikka T3 as donor to have the magnum bolt face and long action to load the 7SAUM long.

The factory tikka magazine options are tricky. The 300wm will work but the SAUM cases are almost too snug and feeding isn't the smoothest. The WSM mag fits the SAUM case but is limited to 2.8xx coal. You can dremel out the spacer and get ~3.4 coal, use the guts from a 300wm or 270 tikka mag. Tikka also now has a 6.5prc mag that fits the SAUM case but limited to 3.09 coal. There's a couple aftermarket options that are never in stock. It really depends which bullets you want to use and how long you load them.

I did not know of the 6.5prc mags. That might just be the cats a$$ for my build. Thanks for mentioning them.

amassi

WKR
I have found a number of posts around this topic but haven't been able to specifically address my question.

I have a Sako 85 short action with a custom 7mm-08 barrel on it (24" and 9.25 twist). I have another 7-08 so want a 7mm that doesn't kick too much for hunting but has a bit more speed than 7-08.

I would like to get a Tikka T3x and turn it into either a 280ai or 7mm Saum. I am backing away a bit from the 280ai due to what I am seeing on the maximum length of the magazines (I do not want to get detachable metal with a magazine hanging out of the bottom - I want it to be a normal hunting rifle so would like to use regular Tikka magazines). I think I can probably get the 168gr bullets in but tight and might need to stuff them a bit more into the case using a Tikka 30-06, 270, etc.

I am now leaning towards a 7mm Saum. I should be able to take the barrel off the Sako 85, rechamber it, and put it on the Tikka from everything I have read.

Question is which donor action should I get in Tikka (7 Rem Mag, 300 WSM, 270 WSM, etc) for 7 Saum? My biggest concern that I can't find a definitive answer on is will any of the Tikka magazines work with the 7 Saum?

Thanks for any help to get me unstuck and back on the right path!
You can shoot 190s out of the 280ai at 3.330" and factory mags. So you would not need to do anything.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

sdupontjr

WKR

I would assume that it would be the same for 7RM considering they share the same parent brass of the 375 H&H??

OP
R
You can shoot 190s out of the 280ai at 3.330" and factory mags. So you would not need to do anything.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
What got me concerned her is my buddy is loading the 168 Sierra's in his custom 280ai and they measure 3.34" which is just off the lands. That was got me concerned about even the smaller bullets clearing the Tikka magazines.

I did not know of the 6.5prc mags. That might just be the cats a$$ for my build. Thanks for mentioning them.
If Mike at Hells Canyon Armory is still making his short magnum mags, that would be the ticket. Mine feeds flawlessly on my 270 WSM. They have a machined shoulder in the mag to prevent the bullet tips from getting mashed under recoil.

12wander

FNG
If Mike at Hells Canyon Armory is still making his short magnum mags, that would be the ticket. Mine feeds flawlessly on my 270 WSM. They have a machined shoulder in the mag to prevent the bullet tips from getting mashed under recoil.

Sold out but got on the list to be notified if he does make a batch.

Thanks