Tikka Scope Mount for NXS 2.5-10x42

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Hi,

What are you using for mounts with this rifle and scope combo?

I have a T3X with the Mountain Tactical 20moa rail and Hawkins low rings. I can’t get clearance with the front bell and MT rail having the scope back far enough for proper eye relief.
The Hawkins mediums are less then 1/8” more in height over the lows. I need more than that and really don’t want to get their highs.

I am about to take a hack saw and belt sander to my MT 20moa rail to get an NX8 mounted property.

I was able to get the Seekins low (.82”) to work with my NXS 2.5-10 but I have ordered some Seekins mediums for the NX8 2.5-20x50 because the power ring won’t clear the rail in the back. I’ll might have to take a little off the rear most pic lug and take the forward most 1 or 2 lugs off completely.

The Seekins medium (.87”) are about the same height as the the Hawkins low (.885”)

I think it would be better to shorten the rail and not have to compromise a good check weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had sportsmatch TO84 on my T3X lite with the NXS 2.5-10 before I decided I needed the 20moa rail and rings. It worked fine.

If you want to go that route, I’d sell you them for a deal.

I’ve used Hawkins rings + rail, though I believe the rail was made by Warne. It was close to touching the front of the rail but eye relief was fine. I’d just cut the rail if that’s your issue. I’ve also used Sportsmatch TO84’s and Hawkins hybrid rings. All on the NXS 2.5-10. I don’t really have a favorite. They’ve all worked fine

OP
T

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Good idea, cutting the rail would definitely work. If I had a mill would go that route. Thanks for the ideas.

Anyone else with other mounts that worked let me know what you used.

OP
T

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
PM me what you want for them

I had sportsmatch TO84 on my T3X lite with the NXS 2.5-10 before I decided I needed the 20moa rail and rings. It worked fine.

If you want to go that route, I’d sell you them for a deal.

TO84 with NXS 2.5-10

13d2da2a8ae3405a8e9861bda4e19574.jpg

Not the best angle, but this is the NXS with Mountain Tactical 20 moa rail and Seekins low (.82”) rings it was tight between the bell and the end of the rail, but it was enough to slip 2-3 business cards.

52cb53016d469d281752a0351861f1ad.jpg

IIRC, I could get a NXS compact further back with sportsmatch (limited by end of scope mounting surface where objective tapers out) than with MT pic rail (objective taper hitting pic rail). Even then, i couldn't quite get the scope back far enough towards my eye to be perfect so I swapped it for a SWFA 3-9. It seems like my scopes end up mounted back further in relation to actions than most people's though. There's a good chance sportsmatch would work well for you.

OP
T

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Good info here. Thank you everyone. Looking into these sportsmatch rings. Never heard of them till now

I think I tend to mount scopes further forward. For prone shooting a little further forward always helps me and it helps
to eliminate scope bite, in the heat of the moment a lot of people neck up.

Gila

WKR
Don’t hack your rail! There are plenty of rings out there that will give you enough clearance. I put on a Murphy Precision rail and used Burris XTR signature rings with a 1” clearance for a 50mm. Actually have more clearance than I wanted but you need all of the room to get the scope back far enough for a good cheek meld and eye relief. Don’t try to neck up, you will miss your shot.

Don’t hack your rail! There are plenty of rings out there that will give you enough clearance. I put on a Murphy Precision rail and used Burris XTR signature rings with a 1” clearance for a 50mm. Actually have more clearance than I wanted but you need all of the room to get the scope back far enough for a good cheek meld and eye relief. Don’t try to neck up, you will miss your shot.

I’m not afraid to mod my gear to make it work how I like, you’d be hard pressed to find anything in my gun safe or garage/shop that isn’t modified in some way.

I’d much rather shorten my rail than have to use higher mounts and compromise cheek weld.

And I don’t purposely “neck up” maybe I have a longer neck or something, but I think lots of folks set up eye relief when they are lazily holding the gun to their eye off hand at the work bench, rather than actually getting into a real shooting position or laying prone. That’s how guys get scoped by rifles in the field taking shots at game when they don’t get it shooting casually from the bench.

Gila

WKR
I’m not afraid to mod my gear to make it work how I like, you’d be hard pressed to find anything in my gun safe or garage/shop that isn’t modified in some way.

I’d much rather shorten my rail than have to use higher mounts and compromise cheek weld.

And I don’t purposely “neck up” maybe I have a longer neck or something, but I think lots of folks set up eye relief when they are lazily holding the gun to their eye off hand at the work bench, rather than actually getting into a real shooting position or laying prone. That’s how guys get scoped by rifles in the field taking shots at game when they don’t get it shooting casually from the bench.

Each to his own. There are at least a dozen high quality brands of rings for a 30mm tube that will fit a rail and still give you clearance on the shoulder. You could get a hold of NF and they will fix you up. Chopping off your rail is a little extreme?

OP
T

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
I took up Pathercity’s offer and bought his Sportsmatch rings. We’ll see how they work out.
Also called MT to see if they would make one with the front lug milled off, or not full receiver length. He said no, they’re strictly production nowadays, but a hacksaw and file would work for what I want.
That will be plan B

Gila

WKR
I took up Pathercity’s offer and bought his Sportsmatch rings. We’ll see how they work out.
Also called MT to see if they would make one with the front lug milled off, or not full receiver length. He said no, they’re strictly production nowadays, but a hacksaw and file would work for what I want.
That will be plan B
Why is it too long? Missed something

OP
T

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t get the scope back far enough for proper eye relief, because the front of the scope where it tapers hits the front of the rail.