Tikka scope mounting options?

deadwolf

WKR
Hey all, I am helping a friend get dialed in with a new Tikka T3x super light, Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18 and am looking for the Tikka crowd to chime in with some suggestions on scope mounting solutions.

I have plenty of rifle and scope experience, but my Tikka knowledge is limited. Looking for a pic rail and rings, currently we are looking at a 0 MOA pic rail (suggestions?) with Hawkins rings or perhaps this setup in the link below from Mountain Tactical.

Appreciate any feedback on what you like or don’t like, thx

Antares

WKR
I have a Mountain Tactical rail and Hawkins rings on mine right now, works fine. I've also used Talley's, Hawkins Hybrids, and Seekins on Tikkas. They all work.

Sandstrom

WKR
I have had good results with the Talleys for light weight. However, I just got an area 419 rail, I am very happy with it. I particularly like the recoil pin that they use to secure the rail in addition to the four bolts. I believe it is the same way the ctr factory rail is attached, I looked for a factory rail and had no luck.
Ryan

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the DNZ game reaper on my Tikka super light. Not a pic rail but I like keeping it simple and light with a one piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
MT makes quality stuff, and are a sponsor of RS. I've used Seekins a bunch too, super quality as well.

RT84

FNG
I've used DNZ one piece mounts on a few Tikkas with awesome results.

Buzby

WKR
I recently tired some Hawkins long range hybrids. So far I really like them. Direct mount, no need for a separate base (one less thing to come loose). Built in 25moa cant, and a bubble level.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Thanks a bunch for the replies, anybody use the one pieces base and rings from Mountain Tactical yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
I recently tired some Hawkins long range hybrids. So far I really like them. Direct mount, no need for a separate base (one less thing to come loose). Built in 25moa cant, and a bubble level.

I was t aware Hawkins made direct mount rings for tikkas. I’ll have a look at the site.

Another vote for Sportsmatch.

Nice rig your friend is setting up. Can't imagine he'll be displeased with the results.

If you're not going to add inclination, why add a redundant rail? Adds extra hight, weight, and componentry.

The Bushie will fit nice and low on there with T084's.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Another vote for Sportsmatch.

Nice rig your friend is setting up. Can't imagine he'll be displeased with the results.

If you're not going to add inclination, why add a redundant rail? Adds extra hight, weight, and componentry.

The Bushie will fit nice and low on there with T084's.

My preference is a rail, even when not considering extra elevation. I like it for a couple reasons.

One, it offers more tolerance in where the scope can be mounted, forward and back, providing for perfect eye relief. Fixed scope rings can run out of room especially when using shorter scopes. Second reason, and particularly in this case, is a very light rifle, with very high recoil. Using a pic rail and quality rings while ensure that the scope has zero movement.

Just my preference.

The Mountain Tactical one piece was something I hadnt seen before, and got me thinking if it might be an option. Wouldn’t be my first option, but was curious nonetheless.

I have Hawkins on one of my rifles, nightforce in the others, all with rails, and I think that’s the route we’re gonna take, going with the Area 419 rail.

My preference is a rail, even when not considering extra elevation. I like it for a couple reasons.

One, it offers more tolerance in where the scope can be mounted, forward and back, providing for perfect eye relief. Fixed scope rings can run out of room especially when using shorter scopes. Second reason, and particularly in this case, is a very light rifle, with very high recoil. Using a pic rail and quality rings while ensure that the scope has zero movement.

Just my preference.

The Mountain Tactical one piece was something I hadnt seen before, and got me thinking if it might be an option. Wouldn’t be my first option, but was curious nonetheless.

I have Hawkins on one of my rifles, nightforce in the others, all with rails, and I think that’s the route we’re gonna take, going with the Area 419 rail.

I do like rails for the reasons you stated, and I use them on most non Tikka rigs I set up, and even on a Tikkas if I need to add inclination. Certainly can't go wrong with one from a stability standpoint. The only issue I have with a rail is that in some circumstances you end up with the scope being up higher than it needs to be, which I never cared for.

Just to clarify, and I apologize if you are already aware of this, but the Sportsmatch rings mount directly into to the integral rail that is machined to the top of Tikka action. No bases. As such, they are not fixed position and there is latitude for ring spacing. I have used them on 2 - 300 win mags and a couple 7mm mags and scope shifting due to recoil, bouncing around on rough roads, or occasional drops and falls hasn't been an issue, even with 30 ounce + scopes. Every set I've used has been perfectly aligned when checked with a lapping bar, and when establishing zero, they're usually only a couple inches from a scope's mechanical center.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that the gentleman on this site who does destructive testing on scopes sometimes uses a Tikka with Sportsmatch rings for drop tests.

slowelk

WKR
A lot of love for Hawkins rings. Don’t get me wrong, I like Hawkins - a lot of innovation, quality products, good customer service, etc. That said, the primary material used in their rings is cheap 6061 aluminum. The photo is my dad’s rifle, torqued to spec. Anything can fail, but I sure prefer 7075 and or titanium.

Attachments

• 353F15AC-17E1-469F-ABE9-C4F97CB1FA36.jpeg
    353F15AC-17E1-469F-ABE9-C4F97CB1FA36.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 98
OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
A lot of love for Hawkins rings. Don’t get me wrong, I like Hawkins - a lot of innovation, quality products, good customer service, etc. That said, the primary material used in their rings is cheap 6061 aluminum. The photo is my dad’s rifle, torqued to spec. Anything can fail, but I sure prefer 7075 and or titanium.

Ouch! I don’t like to see that.