Tikka scope mounting options?

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
I do like rails for the reasons you stated, and I use them on most non Tikka rigs I set up, and even on a Tikkas if I need to add inclination. Certainly can't go wrong with one from a stability standpoint. The only issue I have with a rail is that in some circumstances you end up with the scope being up higher than it needs to be, which I never cared for.

Just to clarify, and I apologize if you are already aware of this, but the Sportsmatch rings mount directly into to the integral rail that is machined to the top of Tikka action. No bases. As such, they are not fixed position and there is latitude for ring spacing. I have used them on 2 - 300 win mags and a couple 7mm mags and scope shifting due to recoil, bouncing around on rough roads, or occasional drops and falls hasn't been an issue, even with 30 ounce + scopes. Every set I've used has been perfectly aligned when checked with a lapping bar, and when establishing zero, they're usually only a couple inches from a scope's mechanical center.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that the gentleman on this site who does destructive testing on scopes sometimes uses a Tikka with Sportsmatch rings for drop tests.

Thank you for the info, I do appreciate it. I know people have had good luck with the Sports match rings right on the rail, but as we work through all the good options, it’s going to lose out to some of the better ones.

After seeing the Hawkins damage above, we are gonna go with the Nightforce rings as that is what I have used for over ten years with Zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to utilize a recoil pin on the Tikka receiver. Sportsmatch rings do that with the front ring and the back is still flexible to move fore/aft for better scope fit.

Otherwise I'd go 419 or murphy rail and pic rings of your choice.

Thank you for the info, I do appreciate it. I know people have had good luck with the Sports match rings right on the rail, but as we work through all the good options, it’s going to lose out to some of the better ones.

After seeing the Hawkins damage above, we are gonna go with the Nightforce rings as that is what I have used for over ten years with Zero issues.

I have a couple sets of NF rings in service. Can't go wrong with them. Not sure if the NF rings are made by Warne, but I have a couple sets of Warne Mountain Tech rings that look very similar to the NF rings. They've also served me very well.

I have also been using Burris Signature XTR rings with the live centers more and more as of late. Even their "Low" is comparatively high, especially when paired with a rail, so, depending on the application, I'll use the Burris XTR multi slot, 2 piece bases, as they are very low profile and accept pic rings without modification. The Burris XTR design allows for adding inclination, and it grips the scope exceedingly well without leaving marks. It also mitigates stresses placed onto the scope tube via the mounting system.

Put me in the camp of “a rail on a rail is redundant.” I like the Sportsmatch on a hunting rifle, Area 419 rail and Seekins or Arc rings on a range gun. All of my rifles now utilize one of those setups, other than a CTR I haven’t bothered to take the factory rail off of.

MattB

WKR
A lot of love for Hawkins rings. Don’t get me wrong, I like Hawkins - a lot of innovation, quality products, good customer service, etc. That said, the primary material used in their rings is cheap 6061 aluminum. The photo is my dad’s rifle, torqued to spec. Anything can fail, but I sure prefer 7075 and or titanium.
Maybe I am missing something, but how would it crack there as that is the portion of the rings where the material is being compressed rather than stretched? Any chance that is a gouge/scratch in the material?

Wrongside

WKR
I like to utilize a recoil pin on the Tikka receiver. Sportsmatch rings do that with the front ring and the back is still flexible to move fore/aft for better scope fit.

Otherwise I'd go 419 or murphy rail and pic rings of your choice.
Pretty much exactly where I’ve settled with Tikkas. Sportsmatch, unless I absolutely have to have inclination. Then Area419 w/ XTR Sigs.

Sprunk

FNG
Maybe I am missing something, but how would it crack there as that is the portion of the rings where the material is being compressed rather than stretched? Any chance that is a gouge/scratch in the material?
The upper ring is tensioned over the scope tube, there is enough clearance between the upper and lower halves to remain in tension and the upper ring failed at the bottom of the counter-sunk screw hole. Uneven ring tension when tightening can cause that too as the material is twisted around the scope tube

MattB

WKR
The upper ring is tensioned over the scope tube, there is enough clearance between the upper and lower halves to remain in tension and the upper ring failed at the bottom of the counter-sunk screw hole. Uneven ring tension when tightening can cause that too as the material is twisted around the scope tube
Got it, from that angle it was hard to tell that the crack was above the level of the bottom of the set screws.

Another vote for Area 419. I have used several of them and will continue to use. They have recoil lugs and are made from harder aluminum than most (7075 vs. 6063) while still being a decent price.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Another vote for Area 419. I have used several of them and will continue to use. They have recoil lugs and are made from harder aluminum than most (7075 vs. 6063) while still being a decent price.

I had a custom rifle built by Jon back when he was getting started. Very nice 270. As he’s gotten bigger I feel like they are almost too big for their britches at this point. A couple years ago I contacted them about building another rifle and got completely blown off by his new sales guy, Craig. I have the emails still I’m sure, and ended up having someone build the next one. Nonetheless, they still make some great, innovative products that I like. Today, I had a question and tried to call, and the number gave that signal that lets you know it’s not in service. Emailed. Nothing. Reached out on social media. Nothing. As much as I’d like to support them, I can’t even get someone to answer the phone to answer a question.

I had a custom rifle built by Jon back when he was getting started. Very nice 270. As he’s gotten bigger I feel like they are almost too big for their britches at this point. A couple years ago I contacted them about building another rifle and got completely blown off by his new sales guy, Craig. I have the emails still I’m sure, and ended up having someone build the next one. Nonetheless, they still make some great, innovative products that I like. Today, I had a question and tried to call, and the number gave that signal that lets you know it’s not in service. Emailed. Nothing. Reached out on social media. Nothing. As much as I’d like to support them, I can’t even get someone to answer the phone to answer a question.

Yes, that would leave a bad taste in your mouth! I guess I’ve never had to communicate with them so don’t have any first hand knowledge on their customer service. Seems odd to not answer any communication!

That is a hell of a big scope for a hunting rifle, tried it but didn’t like it either way
Rail and low rings
0BCFD131-B9EE-4E05-B3E4-92D86F445217.jpeg
Sportsmatch
82AA68A1-B75A-43E0-A01C-8F37A94DDCBD.jpeg

Now
2EDAD034-87AD-42E0-924F-7756F34296ED.jpeg