Tikka - sportsmatch vs warne

I have two tikkas i need mount scopes on before season. A 30mm nightforce going on my 6.5 creed and a 1” leupold on a t1x that will be a combo silhouette and hunting gun. I would like to mount both directly to the reciever (no rail).

I ruled out tally’s and am a bit paranoid about ring failure Due to an incident years ago that ruined a hunt, so I would spend a little $ and carry a couple extra ounces to remove doubt.

I have a set of sportsmatch t084s and am looking at warne maximas. anyone used both and can offer a comparison?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have two tikkas i need mount scopes on before season. A 30mm nightforce going on my 6.5 creed and a 1” leupold on a t1x that will be a combo silhouette and hunting gun. I would like to mount both directly to the reciever (no rail).

I ruled out tally’s and am a bit paranoid about ring failure Due to an incident years ago that ruined a hunt, so I would spend a little $ and carry a couple extra ounces to remove doubt.

I have a set of sportsmatch t084s and am looking at warne maximas. anyone used both and can offer a comparison?

Vertical split rings should be avoided at all costs. They break scopes and cause tons of issues.

kpk

WKR
I was gonna say...I thought Form had written about this before.

Ive read too much negative on the vertically split rings that I would not spend my money on them to try out. Google issues with spilt rings and its discussed over and over on a few other forums and you can form your own opinion. I do use both Sportsmatch and Talley and they both have served me well

OP
Desk Jockey
Hmmmm. I am detecting a pattern against the Warne rings. I guess I will order up some sportsmatch.

Vertical split rings should be avoided at all costs. They break scopes and cause tons of issues.
Dragging this old thread up. Was going to put vertical split warnes on my next gun but never used ones with the Tikka pin so did a search and ended up here.

How do they break scopes and what issues? Trying to understand how it would be different than horizontal rings. I've put warne vertical split on my last 2 scopes and have been happy with them, although I can't tell you why I started using them. Thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve actually had vertically split rings crimp a scope. The sportsmatch to84 are really nice,
I have them on a 30-06 and a 6.5cm tikka with no complaints.

I also have a t1x but I used talley lightweights on it because it’s not like I’m going on a fly in hunt to use that gun. I’ve been meaning to get the sportsmatch rings that fit the t1x but just havnt done it yet.

Dragging this old thread up. Was going to put vertical split warnes on my next gun but never used ones with the Tikka pin so did a search and ended up here.

How do they break scopes and what issues? Trying to understand how it would be different than horizontal rings. I've put warne vertical split on my last 2 scopes and have been happy with them, although I can't tell you why I started using them. Thanks!

They’re prone to loosening and slippage because the same screws are clamping the rings to the gun and also clamping the tube. They’re also prone to damaging the scope tube. They belong in the scrap bin, not on rifles.

Tcmo-33

FNG
I don’t have any experience with them but I know that unknown munitions have come out with tikka specific rings that might be worth doing some research on. They seem to be a good company as far as fixing issues when brought to the attention of the manufacture. They made a set of rings that were prone to cracking and when they found out they contacted everyone who bought them. They told their customers to throw the rings in the garbage and that the improved version would be sent to them for free. Companies Who stand behind their products usually get my business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the rail clamp force directly acts on the scope tube the vertical split rings, so when tightened enough to hold position, they will crimp or crush the scope tube.

the rail clamp force directly acts on the scope tube the vertical split rings, so when tightened enough to hold position, they will crimp or crush the scope tube.
Not saying it can't happen, but mine never moved and definitely never crimped or crushed the tube. 2 scopes, torqued to spec. With warne rings. Maybe this was just an issue with the manufacturers mentioned.

Fordguy

WKR
I've used the warne maxima steel vertical split rings quite a bit (for about a decade), and until recently had never had a problem. They've been used in a variety of situations (mild and heavy recoil and thousands of miles of travel) and have performed well. Zero slippage and no dented or creased/marked scope tubes. I had a single issue where the scope windage wouldn't adjust until I loosened the scope mount screws. It should be noted that on the recommendation of my gunsmith, I use 16-18 inch lbs max on the top screws. I know I exceeded that on the scope that wouldn't adjust.

Nobody is saying vertically split rings always damage scopes and cant work, just that you are increasing your odds of having an issue by using them. There are many options out there for rings so it's quite easy to choose one that doesn't have higher odds of having an issue.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Not saying it can't happen, but mine never moved and definitely never crimped or crushed the tube. 2 scopes, torqued to spec. With warne rings. Maybe this was just an issue with the manufacturers mentioned.
I used to think it was BS too, then it happened to me. I wish to good I’d listened because this Nikon monarch African scope is no longer in production.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 72
I don’t have any experience with them but I know that unknown munitions have come out with tikka specific rings that might be worth doing some research on. They seem to be a good company as far as fixing issues when brought to the attention of the manufacture. They made a set of rings that were prone to cracking and when they found out they contacted everyone who bought them. They told their customers to throw the rings in the garbage and that the improved version would be sent to them for free. Companies Who stand behind their products usually get my business.

What’s the recoil lug/pin like on these? Is it a substantial pin that actually fits the hole in the receiver and made out of tool steel or is it a dinky little half assed soft roll pin like the sports match?

Tcmo-33

FNG
Again I do not have any experience with them. That being said, unknown munitions seem to build stuff to last. I do know that the rings come with threaded recoil pins and standard ones.