Tikka stock decisions...

BrettJolly

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Rokslide, I’ve been watching the forums here for some time and now just finally figured out how to register and join. 😂. Tons of good info here and I’ve read quite a few posts on aftermarket tikka stocks. Just still not quite sure which direction I want to go and hoping to hear a few more opinions. I’ve got 2 tikka T3X’s, a 270 win and a 300mag. Looking for stocks for both, thinking I want the same for both so no matter which I’m using, they feel the same.

Here are the ones I’m considering

McMillan sako hunter
McMillan game scout
Manners EHT
AG privateer
AG alpine hunter
Mesa

Pros/cons? Any other ideas? Good bad? Rifles are used mostly for western hunting in eastern Montana, Wyoming, etc.

Thanks!

Brett

Welcome.

others can chime in. After years of shooting my tikkas I finely decided to do a stock up grade. I was looking for mid cost, lighter weight and reasonable leadtimes. I focused on:

AG alpine hunter
Mesa
Grayboe Pheonix

i have the Mesa on order. 4-6 week weight. I have been a bit concerned by some QC issues people have posted here Since I ordered.

the phoenix from grayboe was my runner up and I like the idea that it fits any barrel contour and has a cheek riser.

on a related note, I opted for mountain tactical bottom metal while I was at it.

good luck

@archp625 just for a manner eh stock for his Tikka!

I like mine on my Defiance 300 prc. The new tikka will probably have one too. Only con I see is the wait for one! Takes 7-8 mo to get one, unless those times have gotten better

kipper09

WKR
I actually just bought two off here. An eht manners and a McMillan. I have a tikka veil in 6.5 PRC. And neither comes close to fitting. I’m starting to the think the veil has a different contour barrel. I still need to pick up the 300 t3 superlite I bought to see if either fit it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I actually just bought two off here. An eht manners and a McMillan. I have a tikka veil in 6.5 PRC. And neither comes close to fitting. I’m starting to the think the veil has a different contour barrel. I still need to pick up the 300 t3 superlite I bought to see if either fit it

It does, however both companies will happily open the barrel channel for you.

I just went through this decision process. I ended up going either the Mesa. The first thing you need to decide is if you want a traditional grip or vertical. The privateer and the EHT have traditional grips. I believe the rest are vertical. The traditional grips will typically be about 5-6oz lighter.
All the stories about AG stocks’ inletting being off scared me away from them.
Everything I heard about manners was good, except the wait time.
McMillan’s also sounded good, but heavier than the rest.
Mesa kinda ended up being the sweet spot of short wait time, lightweight, and good fit.

Lawnboi

WKR
Guy on snipers hide has some available if you don’t want any special add ons.

I need to call manners, my eh1 is supposed to be done a week or two ago.

Iv gotten to handle and shoot stocks from Mesa, AG, manners and mcmillan. Sounds like AG might have the alpine hunter mold figured out finally but personally I wouldn’t buy a Mesa or AG (same maker) tikka stock. Very happy with both manners and mcmillan tikka stocks I have, if I were buying more I’d be more partial to go eh1 because of the comb height, ability to add a UL cheek piece and mini chassis option.

homers

WKR
I went though a similar journey last year and finally decided on the McMillan Game Scout. Absolutely love it! Fit and finish were excellent. Dropped right in, perfect.

OP
BrettJolly

BrettJolly

Lil-Rokslider
I went though a similar journey last year and finally decided on the McMillan Game Scout. Absolutely love it! Fit and finish were excellent. Dropped right in, perfect.
I’ve handled a couple of game scouts and might be leaning that route as well. Kind of seems like the best mix of everything. Vertical grip yet compact and light.

OP
BrettJolly

BrettJolly

Lil-Rokslider

I’ll have to keep an eye out for some used ones on here, that’s a good idea.

Is the Mesa that much lighter than the others? They list 1.5 pounds while most of the others with vertical grip are showing closer to 2.

archp625

WKR
I am with others. You need to decide if you want a more traditional hunting stock or a stock with a more vertical grip that you will shoot better prone. One you decide that make a list.

I just paid for a Manners EH1 for my tikka on Friday. I live an house north of Manners so hoping it will be here early this coming week. I will post some pics and weight when I get it. Like teamkabob said the wait now is 8 months. I got the email its finished in 5.5 months. Ordered July 25th.

I've been looking at the AG stocks and really like them. Anyone know what their lead time is for an order?

I have a Tikka in a mesa and love it! However I also have a custom build in an AG composites alpine hunter and like it as well. If I had some weight to spare I'd be looking at adjustable mesa or AG.
Realistically you need to decide the features are must have/deal breakers. Then prioritize the rest of the features you would like. Once you narrow it down to one or two that meets those wants/needs it's personal preference.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I had a Mesa for a Remington 700 for a short time. I didn’t like it on a 300 RUM as the low butt pad seemed to compound muzzle rise when I shot. However, It wasn’t bad when I tried a 30-06 in it. The grip is pretty big around, and despite my big hands, I wouldn’t have minded if it had been a little narrower. My stock was around 28 oz and I really liked the feel of the forearm. If I didn’t have other plans for the 30-06 and if the stock had been inlet for BDL rather than M5 bm, I probably would have kept the Mesa. Whenever Mesa has a sale, I think about getting one for my Tikka.

I have handled a Game Scout but I did not like the low comb. I would need to add a stock pack if I got that stock.

D29CCC0C-0399-4122-AA91-506DE7652309.jpeg