Tikka stock decisions...

OP
BrettJolly

BrettJolly

Lil-Rokslider
I had a Mesa for a Remington 700 for a short time. I didn’t like it on a 300 RUM as the low butt pad seemed to compound muzzle rise when I shot. However, It wasn’t bad when I tried a 30-06 in it. The grip is pretty big around, and despite my big hands, I wouldn’t have minded if it had been a little narrower. My stock was around 28 oz and I really liked the feel of the forearm. If I didn’t have other plans for the 30-06 and if the stock had been inlet for BDL rather than M5 bm, I probably would have kept the Mesa. Whenever Mesa has a sale, I think about getting one for my Tikka.

I have handled a Game Scout but I did not like the low comb. I would need to add a stock pack if I got that stock.

View attachment 368673
What did you end up going with after the Mesa?

BAKPAKR

WKR
What did you end up going with after the Mesa?
I replaced the Mesa stock with an Allterra Arms stock (not currently available as a component stock). It weighs the same as the Mesa. I have not shot the rifle with the Allterra Arms stock yet as it needed bedded first and it is at the gunsmith now as part of a rifle makeover. I do like the feel of the buttstock and grip on the AA stock and I liked the semi-beavertail forearm while holding it offhand. I don’t know how I will like the feel of it with one-hand carry as it is kind of bulky and squared between the front action screw location and the start of the beaver tail. A lot will depend on where the rifle balances with the new barrel it is getting.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Greyboe Phoenix on an R700 and it's a nice stock. It's right at 32 ounces, so it might be a bit heavier than some others. It does have MLOK on the bottom and an adjustable stock, so those are nice.

Powell

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy just picked up a Mesa. I will consider one in the future. I have a IOTA Kremiln, It fits a lot like a Manners EH1 but does not have as refined of finish, also does not cost as much, I have Manners EH1A for rem700 and really like them. Would like to end up with a EH1 for a Tikka build in the future

BAKPAKR

WKR
If you decide the bolt notch is on the wrong side for you, let me know. 😀

How much does it weigh and what are you putting in it?

archp625

WKR
Mines got a lot more crap on it from the looks of it. I paid for mine a couple weeks ago when I got the 1-2week out invoice
I wanted the bare minimum for mine. Got the shortest pic rail atlas makes and no studs or flush cups. I wanted it as light as I could get it. Its weighs 32.6 oz as she sits. Did not come with pillars.

archp625

WKR
If you decide the bolt notch is on the wrong side for you, let me know. 😀

How much does it weigh and what are you putting in it?
The stock as it sits weighs 32.6 oz. no studs, flush cups, and the shortest Atlas Rail Manners sold. IM having a 20" 300 wsm built off a tx3 action.

When it gets all completed I may toot my own horn and start a thread with details on the build and my reloading process.

Hello Rokslide, I’ve been watching the forums here for some time and now just finally figured out how to register and join. 😂. Tons of good info here and I’ve read quite a few posts on aftermarket tikka stocks. Just still not quite sure which direction I want to go and hoping to hear a few more opinions. I’ve got 2 tikka T3X’s, a 270 win and a 300mag. Looking for stocks for both, thinking I want the same for both so no matter which I’m using, they feel the same.

Here are the ones I’m considering

McMillan sako hunter
McMillan game scout
Manners EHT
AG privateer
AG alpine hunter
Mesa

Pros/cons? Any other ideas? Good bad? Rifles are used mostly for western hunting in eastern Montana, Wyoming, etc.

Thanks!

Brett
Hello Brett,
I have a privateer stock and a mesa, for light weight and handling I like the privateer more, finish quality is also a little better than Mesa. Although they are both built by AGcomposites, finish on my privateer is a lot better than my Mesa.
23 ounces on the privateer, I didnt weight my Mesa stock but I can say that it is a little bit heavier.
Fit on both was awesome with no bedding needed.
hope you find this helpful

OP
BrettJolly

BrettJolly

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Brett,
I have a privateer stock and a mesa, for light weight and handling I like the privateer more, finish quality is also a little better than Mesa. Although they are both built by AGcomposites, finish on my privateer is a lot better than my Mesa.
23 ounces on the privateer, I didnt weight my Mesa stock but I can say that it is a little bit heavier.
Fit on both was awesome with no bedding needed.
hope you find this helpful
Thanks for the info! Privateer might be the way I go, who did you order it through?

Could you order a stock in a proof sendero channel and use the steel Tikka barrel? Just thinking ahead that I may want to upgrade to a carbon barrel at some point.

slowelk

WKR
Could you order a stock in a proof sendero channel and use the steel Tikka barrel? Just thinking ahead that I may want to upgrade to a carbon barrel at some point.

Yes, I have an EH1 with mini-chassis and the barrel channel is for a proof sendero light, but right now it just has the factory lite barrel in it. It doesn't look bad, and obviously doesn't impact the shooting.

1.5" target sticker, 20 rounds, adjusted 0.2 mil after group.

Attachments

• IMG_1598.jpg
    IMG_1598.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 46