Tikka stock vs aftermarket

Sled

WKR
I realized this has been discussed before and I've read quite a few of the threads on the subject. I've been considering whether or not to open up the barrel of the factory t3 x stock to a heavy sporter or purchase an AGC privateer. I'm looking to stay with a similar style of stock to factory and would probably be fine with the factory but am interested in aftermarket options if the factory stock isn't workable. What I'm trying to decide is If I can pick up a used sendero contour in the classifieds or if I have a better chance by opening up the barrel channel on a factory inlet (aftermarket or factory stock)? I have done zero stock work in the past so this will be all new to me. This is also the first barrel nut I've had to deal with. I'd imagine that may fit inside a sendero contour without much work. Any thoughts?

Gorp2007

WKR
Are you using the Criterion barrel nut? If so you’ll probably need to do some relief even with a heavier barreled inlet because the nut comes straight out and doesn’t taper like the factory barrel shoulder.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
You will need to open the stock up around the nut.

Curious as to why you went with a nut on a Tikka build. You can get shouldered prefits for them.

As far as opening up the factory stock, they are not that stiff to begin with. Opening up the barrel channel will make that forend really flimsy. Go with an aftermarket stock.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
You will need to open the stock up around the nut.

Curious as to why you went with a nut on a Tikka build. You can get shouldered prefits for them.

As far as opening up the factory stock, they are not that stiff to begin with. Opening up the barrel channel will make that forend really flimsy. Go with an aftermarket stock.

i was worried about making it flimsy. maybe some epoxy and the thin carbon arrow trick could take some flex out. or just do it right and buy a stock.

the barrel nut was out of frustration and availability. i tried the shouldered prefit route but it didn't work out for me.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
i was worried about making it flimsy. maybe some epoxy and the thin carbon arrow trick could take some flex out. or just do it right and buy a stock.

the barrel nut was out of frustration and availability. i tried the shouldered prefit route but it didn't work out for me.
I would suggest keeping an eye on that even if you do the carbon arrow trick... By opening it up right in front of the action you are going to be creating a weak point/ a flex point that will not be cured by the carbon rod. I would suggest upgrading from the factory stock to get a far more rigid and appealing rifle!

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
I would suggest keeping an eye on that even if you do the carbon arrow trick... By opening it up right in front of the action you are going to be creating a weak point/ a flex point that will not be cured by the carbon rod. I would suggest upgrading from the factory stock to get a far more rigid and appealing rifle!

Thanks for the info. I just picked up an iota Kremlin as a used and abused buy. It was listed as new but I'm comfortable with it for the price for now. I do want to continue replacing a couple factory stocks as I go. Maybe a privateer and then later a chassis.

Reactions: XLR