Tikka super light in 7mm-08 downsides?

Nalgene

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka superlight in 7mm08 is on sale right now and I am thinking of picking one up for my dream of hunting Elk out West. Are there any downsides to the 7mm08 in the Tikka like limited COAL or other limitations? I am worried about TBI(already have enough from Football, MMA and the mil) from heavy recoil and want to go with a light recoiling rifle that is also light to carry.

I think you'll be pleased. I have a T3 Lite and a T3X Youth in 7mm08 and both shoot plenty well for most hunting. I put together some reduced loads for the youth model and I can literally maintain the sight picture well enough to spot my own shots as close as 60 yards with a 7x scope. Even with the full size T3 and full house loads the recoil is pretty mild in my opinion.

Find me on Instagram @jaramillo970

OP
N

Nalgene

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks I am going to order it. 650$ at Cabelas right now.

Last edited:
This thread is awesome because it just makes me feel a bit vindicated about a little bit of a bad experience I had at Cabelas today. I asked if they had any 7mm-08 rifles in stock, the guy behind the desk asked me what I would be doing with the rifle, I said deer hunting, he then told me the following and I quote " 7mm08 is not a sufficient cartridge to hunt mule deer with". I was so confused and surprised with his comment that all I could get myself to say was " Have you ever hunted deer before?". He then proceeded to tell me I needed a .270 win or bigger...... Granted a .270 is a fantastic deer rifle, no question, but I couldn't believe my ears when this guy told me to go do more research because I clearly didn't understand ballistics......The icing on the cake was he then told me how I needed a 6.5 creedmoor because it was a fantastic deer cartridge for mule deer out to 400 yards...............

907to406

Lil-Rokslider
This thread is awesome because it just makes me feel a bit vindicated about a little bit of a bad experience I had at Cabelas today. I asked if they had any 7mm-08 rifles in stock, the guy behind the desk asked me what I would be doing with the rifle, I said deer hunting, he then told me the following and I quote " 7mm08 is not a sufficient cartridge to hunt mule deer with". I was so confused and surprised with his comment that all I could get myself to say was " Have you ever hunted deer before?". He then proceeded to tell me I needed a .270 win or bigger...... Granted a .270 is a fantastic deer rifle, no question, but I couldn't believe my ears when this guy told me to go do more research because I clearly didn't understand ballistics......The icing on the cake was he then told me how I needed a 6.5 creedmoor because it was a fantastic deer cartridge for mule deer out to 400 yards...............

Sounds like he's a hell of a salesman...not. Tell him to do his job and sell you what you want or for him to go fetch somebody that will. He works behind the gun counter at Cabelas, not as a ballistics tech or professional hunter or anything else for that matter that would qualify him to make those statements or claims. I know a couple guys, including my brother that use a 7mm-08 regularly for elk and deer. They don't seem to have problem filling their tags. I'd have asked for that incompetent gunsel's manager. He's obviously not doing any favors for Cabela's bottom line.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run my 7-08 loads at mag length but if you want mountain tactical has replacement bolt stops for like $25 if you wanted to run a long action mag instead.

hodgeman

WKR
and I quote " 7mm08 is not a sufficient cartridge to hunt mule deer with". .

That guy is clearly an idiot.

The 7-08 is a flat-out killer. My son and I have KO'd a pile of caribou with the 7-08. If I lived in the L48, I could easily use a 7-08 for everything and never miss a beat. For any and all deer hunting, it's hard to imagine a more perfect choice.

Last edited:

gphil

Lil-Rokslider
If I were buying a rifle specifically for elk I would personally buy a larger caliber in case of a less than perfect shot placement, but everyone is entitled to their opinion

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I and plenty of others on the various hunting forums have piled up enough elk with it to pretty much resolve any uncertainty about the 7mm-08's capabilities on elk. Take good ethical shots with quality projectiles and rock on.

Find me on Instagram @jaramillo970

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
For the record I prefer to run a little more in most of my elk hunting incase I want to shoot longer but 7-08 kills elk just fine when you stay within its capacity. I run the same bullet in my 7-08 as my 280AI, the latter just is pushing them faster/flatter and carrying more energy down range. Plus its a more accurate gun so it gets the nod on most of my hunts. In thicker turf or an area where I wouldn't have any expectation of shooting over 300yd I'd grab the lighter 7-08 without a second thought.

Last edited:

slvrslngr

WKR
If the 7-08 isn't enough for mule deer, I guess my nephew had better take his last 2 bucks out of the freezer and put them back up on the mountain where he apparently only stunned them. :) Oh cr@p, I'm gonna have to take my ram back too... :)

Btw, buy the Tikka, you'll love it.