Tikka superlite / Mesa / X-bolt

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
I’d save myself several hundred dollars & go with a V4. I know a guy that’s got 2200 rounds dialing on a V4 & no problems at all. I picked mine up as a demo from redhawk rifles for just over $800 shipped.😎

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I’d save myself several hundred dollars & go with a V4. I know a guy that’s got 2200 rounds dialing on a V4 & no problems at all. I picked mine up as a demo from redhawk rifles for just over $800 shipped.😎
I must have bad luck..
I had a V4 4-16 that absolutely did not track, it caused me to be suspicious so I did a tall target test on my 3-18 V6 and it too had tracking issues.
I only use MK5HD's and Nightforce now, don't cheap out on a LR optic that you'll be dialing, it's more important than the rifle in my opinion

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Oh wow ya you are definitely in the minority with bad reports on the zeiss scopes. I did a tall target test on mine & it tracked perfectly. Have not had my gun out to long distance to dial it yet however

I am looking at these same rifles. I figure by the time I put all the upgrades on the Tikka I may as well get the Mesa.

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
Oh wow ya you are definitely in the minority with bad reports on the zeiss scopes. I did a tall target test on mine & it tracked perfectly. Have not had my gun out to long distance to dial it yet however
Shoot it awhile, crank the turrets a bunch, and test again...
I think my buddies v4 isn't tracking anymore as well

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely keep an eye on it. I definitely can’t afford the scopes you listed at this time however.

What is superior about the Mesa’s action, barrel, trigger?

Pretty good review of it here for starters. He hits the high points on the thing anyway.

Last edited:

bruceride

FNG
I was considering these same rifles and ended up with the Tikka. Haven't received it yet - should be in Monday. Handled the Mesa and the Browning too. The Tikka felt best to me when shouldered. We'll see if I can shoot it tho!!!

Have a V3Xi 2.5-10 that's going on it for now in a DNZ mount. I really like the one piece design of the DNZ mount for hunting. Never had one loosen or move while getting banged around in the bush.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Pretty good review of it here for starters. He hits the high points on the thing anyway.

Having used, and seen used both rifles, again what is superior about the Mesas action, barrel, and trigger?

Having used, and seen used both rifles, again what is superior about the Mesas action, barrel, and trigger?
If you're talking about the OP he never held the Mesa and bought the Browning.

If you're talking about Vern, it doesn't sound like he's shot them and instead seems to be talking about the "bolt on" features of the Mesa like coatings, stock, break etc. not the "gun" parts of the gun.

If you're talking about your experience with the rifles, (which is how I read your reply to my post of the review) and specifically the barrel, action, trigger then I would love to hear what aspects of the two platforms in your experience may be superior, equal, inferior to the other.

I do agree with Vern in that all things being equal in the mechanical functionality of the rifles I would rather buy a rifle from the factory with the Mesa's bolt-on's rather than accessorize the Tikka like it's a Honda Civic trying to make it something it's not.

If it's not obvious, I have NO idea which is mechanically better, that's why I follow you around this forum Mr. Form.

Thanks in advance for any reply. I know you do a lot of typing here.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I say the below, not as a “Mesas don’t work” way, but to address the almost automatic assumption that the Tikka is lacking. I only care about performance. My comp partner and I have had dozens of custom guns with Surgeon/Stiller/Defiant/etc actions, nearly every trigger made for them.... and all have given problems at some point- mainly triggers. Again only caring about performance and nothing else, once we got the first Tikka spun up and started using it, we both stopped using anything but.

specifically the barrel, action, trigger then I would love to hear what aspects of the two platforms in your experience may be superior, equal, inferior to the other.

Having only used half a dozen Mesas, 3 of those absolutely had to go back for service, and at least one more should have. Accuracy was the issue for most of them, however at least one also had extraction problems. CS was not stellar on any of them, though they weren’t my rifles. A quick google search will readily show that issues with CA is relatively common.

I do agree with Vern in that all things being equal in the mechanical functionality of the rifles I would rather buy a rifle from the factory with the Mesa's bolt-on's rather than accessorize the Tikka like it's a Honda Civic trying to make it something it's not.

The Tikka isn’t the Civic in this discussion, quite the opposite. Remington 700’s were truly bargain rifles. People spent obscene amounts of money to try and fix them. Almost all aftermarket actions based on them are just banking on that- not really improving or fixing the inharrent issues that plague the system. There is no amount of money that can be put in a Mesa to make the action as smooth and reliable as the T3, nor the trigger. The T3 is quite literally a sporterized Sako TRG and it carries that lineage.
Europeans have a very different view when it comes to rifles than Americans do. Because guns are generally harder to acquire, and those that do are generally more weathly, they do not have as many rifles as is common here, and their tolorance for problems and poor feel is much lower than ours. I have seen Europeans absolutely baffled at what we accept for feel and function with our “custom” rifles. The expect even thier budget rifles to have a certain performance and feel to them.

Ignore the prices and what you believe about their placement in the market. Look only at mechanical function, design, and execution. The T3x has an action that is specifically designed to work in snow and ice, is one of the smoothest actions on the market, is cut straight and true, and has proven to be very reliable under all conditions. It has no continuous common issue with reliability or durability. In at least two foreign military tests, the only rifles to match or exceed it in reliability in sleet and ice, as well as dust and sand tests has been AI and the Sako TRG. Remington based custom guns/actions fail readlity in those environments.

The trigger is exceptionally reliable, user adjustable, and requires almost no maintenance. So far, there is no trigger made for a R700 that will match it in ice/sleet, and dust and sand tests. The Trigger Tech, Geissele, and Tub are the best available, but still have issues just due to inherent flaws of the action.

There is no comparison of the average barrel. Again, accuracy issues with Mesas are not uncommon, whereas poor precision with Tikkas and Sako’s are nearly unheard of.

We have bias that are formed for various reasons, some legitimate, some not. The CA may be a good gun if you get one that is done right, but Tikka’s are not “budget” designed or built rifles. I have Surgeons and Stillers readily available, and yet I choose to buy $700 Finish rifles. It ain’t cause I think they’re pretty....

Last edited:

bruceride

FNG
I was considering these same rifles and ended up with the Tikka. Haven't received it yet - should be in Monday. Handled the Mesa and the Browning too. The Tikka felt best to me when shouldered. We'll see if I can shoot it tho!!!

Have a V3Xi 2.5-10 that's going on it for now in a DNZ mount. I really like the one piece design of the DNZ mount for hunting. Never had one loosen or move while getting banged around in the bush.

Finally got to shoot it today. Really happy with it - MOA at 100 with factory ammo of my wobbly card table shooting bench :)