Tikka T1X bolt stop

BBob

WKR
Does anyone know if the T1X bolt stop is truly different from a short magazine T3? Appearance wise externally they appear different but functionally as far as the internal portion of the stop itself? The backstory is a friends T1X somehow disappeared (not sure yet how he lost it) and he needs a replacement. The only thing I find for a T1X is a factory Tikka from Midwest Gunworks. If one of the aftermarket T3's would function he'd save a little $$$.

OP
B

BBob

WKR
it is different, the hole is elongated and it moves when running the bolt.
I figured as much but thought I'd ask to verify for sure. Thank you!

Edit: I had called early and left a message with Mountain Tactical about this. They called me back a bit ago (confirmed they don't have one) but said they will discuss possibly adding T1X stops to the inventory in the future. Super nice and helpful I might add.

Last edited:
OP
B

BBob

WKR
So new things learned. Yes the T1 stop is different. The only option right now it seems is factory. Only Midwest Gunworks had one in stock. The pin on a T1 is not held in place by the stock. I believe the pin is located inboard a bit more than a T3 so it’s sits inside of the sides of the stock with no part of the stock under it. The replacement pin is splined and it appears the splined end needs to be started in first. If you do it the other way the splines do not contact the receiver and it will slide right back out. I suspect someone at the factory inserted the pin the wrong direction and it eventually fell out (practically new gun). We inserted the pin splines first with the new stop and spring in place and he’s back in business. Oh and the splines are very small and not very noticeable if you don’t know they are there. We only noticed after realizing that the pin would just fall out so we went looking for answers and discovered the splines. Maybe this info will be helpful to someone down the road.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
So new things learned. Yes the T1 stop is different. The only option right now it seems is factory. Only Midwest Gunworks had one in stock. The pin on a T1 is not held in place by the stock. I believe the pin is located inboard a bit more than a T3 so it’s sits inside of the sides of the stock with no part of the stock under it. The replacement pin is splined and it appears the splined end needs to be started in first. If you do it the other way the splines do not contact the receiver and it will slide right back out. I suspect someone at the factory inserted the pin the wrong direction and it eventually fell out (practically new gun). We inserted the pin splines first with the new stop and spring in place and he’s back in business. Oh and the splines are very small and not very noticeable if you don’t know they are there. We only noticed after realizing that the pin would just fall out so we went looking for answers and discovered the splines. Maybe this info will be helpful to someone down the road.
Interesting you say that. I had my 17 T1x coated and noticed the splines on the pin, with it in place. Didn’t know why or if it was in wrong. I can see the splines with the lot stop in place, maybe it’s upside down.

OP
B

BBob

WKR
Interesting you say that. I had my 17 T1x coated and noticed the splines on the pin, with it in place. Didn’t know why or if it was in wrong. I can see the splines with the lot stop in place, maybe it’s upside down.
It would be interesting to see if you can just pull it back out? On my first go I unknowingly installed it splines out (because I never saw the splines). I know T3's you just slip them in place and the stock retains it. With the original question as to how the original disappeared I assumed the stock held it in place but it's not even close. A little further back on the stock is the small relieved shelf where a T3 pin would be retained by the stock. I also pondered if the splines on the new pin are a bit small or too short to engage which forced me try try inserting them first. It would make more sense to me for the splines to be out because the way it's installed now they will rub on the inside of the stop. Probably doesn't matter but it doesn't fully make sense.

Lawnboi

WKR
It would be interesting to see if you can just pull it back out? On my first go I unknowingly installed it splines out (because I never saw the splines). I know T3's you just slip them in place and the stock retains it. With the original question as to how the original disappeared I assumed the stock held it in place but it's not even close. A little further back on the stock is the small relieved shelf where a T3 pin would be retained by the stock. I also pondered if the splines on the new pin are a bit small or too short to engage which forced me try try inserting them first. It would make more sense to me for the splines to be out because the way it's installed now they will rub on the inside of the stop. Probably doesn't matter but it doesn't fully make sense.
I have probably 1k plus rounds splines out, and I’m not nice to that rifle.

I don’t know if this is the correct way, but it’s how mine came when it came back from cerakote at LRI. Honestly I never paid attention to it when I first got it.

OP
B

BBob

WKR
If I were to bet, the new pins splines weren't quite deep enough or long enough to grab the receiver from the outside. I did though find a couple more references to pins falling out on T1x's and one picture of an assembled one with no splines showing. Who knows? As long as it's working and my buddy can get back to his squirrels all is good :)